Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: The Spider series MEGATHREAD!

I like how the annual featured modern street gangs in the story. A lot of comics I have written seem to be stuck in the mafia style gangs portrayal of the Godfather movies. Modern gangs should be researched and used more often in a modern crimefighter story. Give Shannon Eric Denton and Igor Vitrino more work DE!

Keep giving us the Spider too!

Default The Spider #15.

Wow. The Spider goes on what can be legitimately termed "a killing spree", neatly wrapping up the loose ends from The Fly arc, and turning his attention to a new problem, The Red Hand. I can't say I remember any mention of The Red Hand from previous issues of The Spider (but maybe I was too distracted by the whole business with The Fly). However, I do have a vague memory nagging at me that seems to recall a "Red Hand" appearing a while back in The Green Hornet (now Legacy). Or am I imagining it? If I'm right, this would be the first example of a villain crossing over from one DE pulp comic to another.

Anyway, The Spider now appears doubly dedicated, if not disadvantaged by loss of access to his millions and his usual support crew, and perhaps just a little bit desperate. Lots of interesting business with Nita and Kirk, too. David Liss is really ratcheting things up here, as we speed toward the final issues.

The "killing spree" was definitely epic and well done, at least nobody can say The Spider takes anyone's crap! Heck no, he'll just kill you dead!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Quote Originally Posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    The "killing spree" was definitely epic and well done, at least nobody can say The Spider takes anyone's crap! Heck no, he'll just kill you dead!

I agree! I am going to miss this title! There was some good things done with the emotional love story that is Richard and Nita as well in issue 15. I am an old time Spider fan and found this updating natural since the Spider is an iconic vigilante character (think Batman with no compunctions about killing the bad guys). Some updates were necessary and logical--Ram is his lawyer not servant, Richard has access to a weapons-manufacturing company (we assumed he gained his wealth through inheritance in the pulp stories), modern tech helping Richard. Dr. Brownlee and Jackson are not changed character-wise, if any change occurred it was to reflect a more multicultural cast in reflection to our ever-changing world. However, the Nita/Richard love story came with a major twist in this updating--Nita is married to Kirk, Richard's best friend and police commissioner. While I miss the intense loving relationship of the pulps (I read between the lines in those stories and imagine that these two had a relationship that did not involve marriage--very controversial despite coming from a pulp magazine that has antiheroes dealing death almost every page), I found the DE storyline create new tensions and excitement to the characters. I certainly hope we will not see the end of the Spider after this title ends and the Codename Action mini ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    I agree! I am going to miss this title! There was some good things done with the emotional love story that is Richard and Nita as well in issue 15. I am an old time Spider fan and found this updating natural since the Spider is an iconic vigilante character (think Batman with no compunctions about killing the bad guys). Some updates were necessary and logical--Ram is his lawyer not servant, Richard has access to a weapons-manufacturing company (we assumed he gained his wealth through inheritance in the pulp stories), modern tech helping Richard. Dr. Brownlee and Jackson are not changed character-wise, if any change occurred it was to reflect a more multicultural cast in reflection to our ever-changing world. However, the Nita/Richard love story came with a major twist in this updating--Nita is married to Kirk, Richard's best friend and police commissioner. While I miss the intense loving relationship of the pulps (I read between the lines in those stories and imagine that these two had a relationship that did not involve marriage--very controversial despite coming from a pulp magazine that has antiheroes dealing death almost every page), I found the DE storyline create new tensions and excitement to the characters. I certainly hope we will not see the end of the Spider after this title ends and the Codename Action mini ends.
    I'm usually not too convinced of the wisdom of updating the classic pulp characters. So many things seem to be lost in the transition. However, I acknowledge the necessity of it in order to succeed in the current comic market. That said, The Spider turned out much better than I could have hoped. Ditto for The Shadow NOW, another great book from the creative team of David Liss and Colton Worley. Given that last title is announced as a 6-issue limited series, it would be crazy not to follow that up (unless Shadow NOW sales do a nosedive) with a The Shadow NOW/The Spider crossover series by the same creative team. Plus there are still many opportunities to do crossover series - how about a Green Hornet VS. The Spider series? This could be set in the present or in the 1930s/40s (as with the Shadow/GH crossover, I doubt they'll be ackowledging Masks anyway). And there's always room for a one-shot The Spider Special.

Since there may be less of the Dynamite Spider seen in the immediate future, it's good to know that Sanctum Books is still reprinting the original Spider pulp novels, 2 per issue. The first two issues were kind of slow to come out, but with The Avenger and The Whisperer wrapping up their short pulp reprint runs soon, that clears the way for Sanctum to step up the frequency of The Spider and Nick Carter. Even Nick Carter's pulp run was a short one, so it won't take long for them to run through those either, and then they'll be looking for something else to reprint. Maybe Bill Barnes, Air Adventurer. Or Captain Future. Or another Popular Publications pulp like G-8 and his Battle Aces or Operator #5. And you know, if Dynamite wanted to adapt any of the aforementioned characters to comic books, I wouldn't mind that either.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    I'm usually not too convinced of the wisdom of updating the classic pulp characters. So many things seem to be lost in the transition. However, I acknowledge the necessity of it in order to succeed in the current comic market. That said, The Spider turned out much better than I could have hoped. Ditto for The Shadow NOW, another great book from the creative team of David Liss and Colton Worley. Given that last title is announced as a 6-issue limited series, it would be crazy not to follow that up (unless Shadow NOW sales do a nosedive) with a The Shadow NOW/The Spider crossover series by the same creative team. Plus there are still many opportunities to do crossover series - how about a Green Hornet VS. The Spider series? This could be set in the present or in the 1930s/40s (as with the Shadow/GH crossover, I doubt they'll be ackowledging Masks anyway). And there's always room for a one-shot The Spider Special.

Since there may be less of the Dynamite Spider seen in the immediate future, it's good to know that Sanctum Books is still reprinting the original Spider pulp novels, 2 per issue. The first two issues were kind of slow to come out, but with The Avenger and The Whisperer wrapping up their short pulp reprint runs soon, that clears the way for Sanctum to step up the frequency of The Spider and Nick Carter. Even Nick Carter's pulp run was a short one, so it won't take long for them to run through those either, and then they'll be looking for something else to reprint. Maybe Bill Barnes, Air Adventurer. Or Captain Future. Or another Popular Publications pulp like G-8 and his Battle Aces or Operator #5. And you know, if Dynamite wanted to adapt any of the aforementioned characters to comic books, I wouldn't mind that either.

G-8 and his Battle Aces--the best war related pulp ever--actually a cross between James Bond and Buffy the Vampire Slayer set in the aviation war-front of WWI. That would be a great series from Dynamite! I do get the Sanctum book series, especially Doc Savage and the Spider--I wondered why the Spider has only two issues published. I enjoyed the G-8 reprints from Adventure House in recent years, until Diamond dropped them from their catalog. The creator/writer of G-8 was himself a veteran WWI pilot and described the realistic battle flights amongst the great monster-mash of stories. Hopefully, Sanctum will make G-8 the next double novel series for us fans!

Cannot wait for the Shadow/Spider crossover! Especially by David Liss and company! I agree with Pulphero, a Green Hornet/Spider confrontation would be interesting! Keep up the great work DE!!!
    Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 10-29-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    G-8 and his Battle Aces--the best war related pulp ever--actually a cross between James Bond and Buffy the Vampire Slayer set in the aviation war-front of WWI. That would be a great series from Dynamite! I do get the Sanctum book series, especially Doc Savage and the Spider--I wondered why the Spider has only two issues published. I enjoyed the G-8 reprints from Adventure House in recent years, until Diamond dropped them from their catalog. The creator/writer of G-8 was himself a veteran WWI pilot and described the realistic battle flights amongst the great monster-mash of stories. Hopefully, Sanctum will make G-8 the next double novel series for us fans!
    If you just can't wait to get your fix of The Spider pulp reprints, Blinky, the previous publisher of Spider reprints, Girasol Collectables, produced 25 'Pulp Double' reprints of The Spider. They are still available through online retailers like Radio Archives. And while you're at it, you can check out their audiobook versions of The Spider novels, available on CD or as digital downloads.

In addition to G-8, Popular Publications also produced another air-war pulp from 1934-35 called Dusty Ayres and his Battle Birds (a revamped version of their earlier generic air-war anthology title Battle Birds). Entirely written by former WWI pilot and editor of Aviation Magazine and Flying News, Robert Sidney Bowen (he even wrote the pulp's backup features), it was unusual in a number of ways. Essentially created to be a hybrid of both G-8 and his Battle Aces and Operator #5, it told the story of an ace airman fighting against a full-scale invasion of the United States (as in Operator #5's "Purple Wars") by a masked mystery warlord out of the east called "Fire Eyes". The story is assumed to take place either in the very near future, or in an alternate timeline (like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow). Fire Eyes commands a vast horde of invading aviators, ground forces, and war machines. Science-fictional war weapons and menaces predominate, and give the series a 'Buck Rogers' flavor, although set against the backdrop of the world as known in the mid-1930s. The series ran for exactly 12 novels, and unlike other pulp series, actually had an ending in the last novel, making it possibly one of the first 'limited series'.

Another great issue from the best damn pulp book in the universe! I hope we see more of The Spider in the future because a Dynamite pulp line without the Spider is a damn shame.
    Chadster!

Currently reading: All Dynamite pulp titles, all Valiant titles.

Liked the art but I thought the dialogue was a bit bland compared to Liss's. With only a handful of issues left. I felt this was a missed opportunity. I was disappointed by this annual.

Time travel does not need to play a part. Spider could be referenceing "The Shadow Now" which is done by the Spider creative team.

That being said... Mark Waid's hornet referenced the Shadow as well. Even if the different books are not in a shared world there is no rule saying that the other characters DON'T exist.