Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lone Ranger - Current title in danger of being cancelled? Hope not....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Yup. Looks like its ending with issue 25.
    Ande Parks says so on twitter.
    I am really, really saddened by this as Lone Ranger is one of my top 5 comics.

I hope Dynamite comes out with a volume 3.
    Man, Dynamite has been dropping most of my favorite titles. This is really depressing. Ande Parks is one of my favorite writers. I hope he gets another title. This title was consistently strong and imaginative.

What is up with Dynamite? I hope The Shadow is not next on the hit list.

Would be nice if they filled some of this void with PSP volume 3 or bringing back The Owl.

Quote Originally Posted by Britt68 View Post
    Man, Dynamite has been dropping most of my favorite titles. This is really depressing. Ande Parks is one of my favorite writers. I hope he gets another title. This title was consistently strong and imaginative.

What is up with Dynamite? I hope The Shadow is not next on the hit list.

Would be nice if they filled some of this void with PSP volume 3 or bringing back The Owl.
    Same old story. Once the newness of a title wears off, the average comic book reader begins to lose interest, so either the book just quietly ends, or...

1. It gets renumbered to #1, again!
    2. All-new creative team!
    3. New costume!
    4. Crossover event!
    5. Death Of A Hero!
    6. Some variation on "The All-New..." with a new guy replacing the existing character, or a "radical new direction"!

...or some combination of the above. Unfortunately, very few of these tried-and-true old dodges will work with the Lone Ranger.

It's also worth noting that nothing lasts forever. The Shadow WILL be cancelled, eventually. Dynamite has exactly ONE title that has been running uninterrupted since the company began (although it's been renumbered). That's Red Sonja. Unlike Marvel and DC, they don't have a stable core of a dozen (or even a half-dozen) characters that will always be published in some form. Even Vampirella has been cancelled with issue #38, and they OWN that (as opposed to licensing it, as DE does with most of its titles), so presumably they would have more incentive to keep that one alive.

Quote Originally Posted by pulphero View Post
    It's also worth noting that nothing lasts forever. The Shadow WILL be cancelled, eventually. Dynamite has exactly ONE title that has been running uninterrupted since the company began (although it's been renumbered). That's Red Sonja. Unlike Marvel and DC, they don't have a stable core of a dozen (or even a half-dozen) characters that will always be published in some form. Even Vampirella has been cancelled with issue #38, and they OWN that (as opposed to licensing it, as DE does with most of its titles), so presumably they would have more incentive to keep that one alive.
    It seems that Dynamite doesn't give their characters a chance to be a stable form. There have been various titles and iterations for Green Hornet and Shadow, so I am hoping they stick around long term. I understand every title can't be a hit, but boy, there is a lot of turnover.

Wish they would bring back PSP or Kirby Genesis. I think those titles would have been more successful if Dynamite had been a little more patient and not immediately flooded the market with all kinds of spinoffs/solo titles right off the bat. Oh well, if I ran the world..................

These are also LICENSED characters. License agreements run out.

SOMETIMES, as in the case of BOOM!'s wonderful PLANET OF THE APES books, the sales of the title don't warrant them renewing the license despite how good the book is quality-wise.

Lots of great things die out because sales don't meet expectation. It's an unfortunate reality of the business.

I love LONE RANGER. I loved Dynamite's ZORRO books. All things must pass, I suppose.

Wish they would bring back PSP or Kirby Genesis. I think those titles would have been more successful if Dynamite had been a little more patient and not immediately flooded the market with all kinds of spinoffs/solo titles right off the bat. Oh well, if I ran the world..................
    We're in agreement on that point. It seems that the former thinking at DE was "make a big splash launch, to draw attention in the marketplace" rather than "build it slowly with quality stories, then branch out". Since the former hasn't seemed to work out for them in general, maybe they'll concentrate on the latter from here on out.

This is really depressing. Ande Parks is one of my favorite writers. I hope he gets another title. This title was consistently strong and imaginative.
    Just finished reading #21. Ande's stories for this title have been powerful and effective (arguably more so than his run on Green Hornet), as has Esteve Polls' artwork. It's a shame the book will be ending with #25, but what can you do? I'll be double-dipping this title for the TPBs, just to show my support. Can't do much more than that. You know, you really can't blame the company when they put out a great product and people just don't buy it. Maybe because it's a Western (1 strike), maybe because it's the Lone Ranger and a lot of people consider it 'corny' and 'old-fashioned' (2 strikes). The 3rd strike would have been the failure of the Disney movie to change people's perception of the character and draw interest to the comic book.

I am excited that the CEO of DE commented on the pulp threads that there will be a continuation of the pulp line (no word on the imprint it will be called at this point) announced soon. I proposed, as have others on this forum, that these adventure heroes of the pulp/comic-strip/radio/serials/TV need a series of mini-series with that imprint label to draw customers attention to the similar concepts. The mini-series followed by mini-series will give the feel of a new #1 every so often and will give each storyline a new jumping on point with a little press about the new series. Another proposal floating along will be the anthology format with team ups, one-shots, supporting characters, minor characters, new talent tryouts, veteran creators runs, etc. to be featured on a monthly basis. The imprint might be called "DE Classic Entertainment" or "Noir" or my posted idea-- (but DE has my permission to run with it because I want these titles to exist at my comic-book store in the future) "Masks and Thrillers" (to incorporate the Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, Warlord of Mars, Lord of the Jungle, and Mandrake mask-less characters with the Lone Ranger, Zorro, Shadow, Green Hornet, Green Hornet Legacy, The Shadow Now, the Phantom, and The Spider masked characters). Obviously, these days it is not just the storytelling or the artwork (which DE does great almost every time, it is the marketing.

These characters are iconic not dated. As proven with Green Hornet Legacy, the Shadow Now, The Spider, and soon Doc Savage, these characters can appear in any time period. Even if left in their original time period, readers can resonate with the characters as heroes. Thank you DE for providing us with characters like the Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Buck Rogers.
    Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 01-31-2014 at 08:55 AM.

I've really enjoyed The Lone Ranger and I hope he'll be back soon, but I've given up expecting any title from any US based publisher to last more than two or three years these days. I can see a time when they'll all be renumbered with a new volume each year, like other magazines.

(Here in the UK, however, the three longest running comics still being published are all well into four digits)

I really hope the Lone Ranger will be back at dynamite. Hands down, my favorite western that has been published (even if the LR is lower on the list of my favorite western characters). It was just so darn good! The Snake of Iron minnie was also a classic, and showed a side of Tonto that I truly enjoyed.