Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warren Ellis relaunches Project Superpowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Magno View Post
    What did I do??

Kill the thread.??? Geeesh. Have we heard any new news.!!??

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/Mx9IKxG.jpg)
    Will we see THOSE characters .... in action again.?? Or will they surface in a "hollow Legacy" with heroes that have NO resemblance to the Wonderful Golden Age Heroes??
    I've done that to a couple of threads. It's not a fun thing to have on your conscience.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Put it down to a lack of news or information about how, why, and exactly when the Project Superpowers line will return.

Default Feed us a little information once in a while, will ya??

Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    Put it down to a lack of news or information about how, why, and exactly when the Project Superpowers line will return.
    Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight because of you. But, yeah, we have heard very little about Ellis' project.
    Maybe it's Project: Secret Superpowers.!!

Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight because of you. But, yeah, we have heard very little about Ellis' project.
    Maybe it's Project: Secret Superpowers.!!
    I am re-reading newuniversal right now and expecting that Eliis won't do more than 6-12 issues, and that his work will serve as the spine for what follows. Consequently I hope that DE already have the following in place:

- Have a short, medium and long-term plan and goals; simply scrabbling around for the next mini-series idea after a break of months or even years does not qualify.
    - Creative teams to pick up the baton as soon as Ellis moves on.
    - A publishing plan to get to multiple concurrent titles in a structured build up.
    - Enough lead-in time so that the PS line is not once again beset with delays; killing momentum has to kill interest in some, surely.

Whether I feel DE can do those things is another matter, but if they are investing in Ellis, who probably commands better than average page rates, then I hope DE have the vision to build on that investment and look further out to address the obstacles they themselves have historically and consistently placed in the way of their own publishing plans.

All of these things, of course, being contingent on readers embracing Ellis' re-take on the concept, for whatever the length of his run, in the first place. Commercially speaking, it seems to be very difficult to break the Svengali-like hold that Marvel and DC have over most readers of the superhero genre, and very few success stories from other publishers which you can point to as examples of how to do it right and make it marketable. And that seems to be more true today than at almost any other time in the past.

The last publishers to really do so were Image and Valiant in the early '90s, and that success turned out to be short-lived, after the speculator bubble burst. Outside of those, in recent years the only things that comes to mind are Mark Millar's "Millarworld" titles, and those had the advantage of big-name artists and being launched by Image (Wanted, Jupiter's Legacy, MPH) and Marvel's creator-owned ICON imprint (Nemesis, Superior, Kick Ass, Supercrooks). As far as company-owned superheroes go, the new Valiant and Dark Horse's Heroes line have been marginally successful for a couple of years, so I guess by Dynamite's standards that would be the level of success they could hope for. In Dark Horse's case, less successful titles can be leveraged against the more popular high-profile licensed franchise titles like Star Wars, Buffy and so on. It remains to be seen whether any of their superheroes can endure beyond a few years.

I am re-reading newuniversal right now and expecting that Eliis won't do more than 6-12 issues, and that his work will serve as the spine for what follows. Consequently I hope that DE already have the following in place:

- Have a short, medium and long-term plan and goals; simply scrabbling around for the next mini-series idea after a break of months or even years does not qualify.
    - Creative teams to pick up the baton as soon as Ellis moves on.
    - A publishing plan to get to multiple concurrent titles in a structured build up.
    - Enough lead-in time so that the PS line is not once again beset with delays; killing momentum has to kill interest in some, surely.

Whether I feel DE can do those things is another matter, but if they are investing in Ellis, who probably commands better than average page rates, then I hope DE have the vision to build on that investment and look further out to address the obstacles they themselves have historically and consistently placed in the way of their own publishing plans.
    Pulp hero has some very good points. As do you, leon. He (Ellis) probably won't do more than 6-12 issues. Frustrating but true. Alan Moore, Ellis and others don't seem to stay very long. Maybe they can't.

"...it seems to be very difficult to break the Svengali-like hold that Marvel and DC have over most readers of the superhero genre, and very few success stories from other publishers which you can point to as examples of how to do it right and make it marketable." Pulp hero's observation on this is pretty true, too.
    I still don't want to accept it. I want to believe that if something is done of high enough quality, both well-written and well drawn, that title can carve out a niche for itself on the shelf.

And then, other titles can be added ....and they can be successful. Living in fantasy.?? Maybe...but I would like to believe it could happen.

I stillhaven't found one title from DE that I could really get behind. (I was "behind" PSP .....but I complained about the art throughout its run. I 'knew' it wasn't going to be successful because of the art...and the story.
    But I kept faithful until things got better. They didn't.)

I can name the book ...the one book from DE that I liked. It was the issue that Alex Ross drew where Cranston met Bret Reid.

ONE BOOK... that I bought and really liked.

I've bought a number of books from DE ....but either the art or story ...was unsatisfying.

When I climbed on the Marvel bandwagon.... I loved FF. #4.... and #5 ....and #6... both art and story was "thrilling".
    And the hook was in. I want to believe that DE can do it, too. But they have to give me something for my eyes. A good artist and ....a good story. They aren't doing it.

Making Mandrake's pal ...the Phantom drew an "Oh, no." from me.

I'm hoping THIS time will do it. Here's hoping.!!
    Last edited by Magno; 08-12-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Default rambling late night with nothing to say.....

[QUOTE=Magno;33181]Pulp hero has some very good points. As do you, leon. He (Ellis) probably won't do more than 6-12 issues. Frustrating but true. Alan Moore, Ellis and others don't seem to stay very long. Maybe they can't.!!??

"...it seems to be very difficult to break the Svengali-like hold that Marvel and DC have over most readers of the superhero genre, and very few success stories from other publishers which you can point to as examples of how to do it right and make it marketable."

Pulp hero's observation on this is pretty true, too.
    I still don't want to accept it. I want to believe that if something is done of high enough quality, both well-written and well drawn, that title can carve out a niche for itself on the shelf.

And then, other titles can be added ....and they can be successful. Living in fantasy.?? Maybe...but I would like to believe it could happen. So far, according to me, they just haven't done it.

I stillhaven't found one title from DE that I could really get behind. (I was "behind" PSP .....but I complained about the art throughout its run. I 'knew' it wasn't going to be successful because of the art...and the story.
    But I kept faithful until things got better. They didn't.)

I can name the book ...the one book from DE that I liked. It was the issue that Alex Ross drew where Cranston met Bret Reid.

ONE BOOK... that I bought and really liked.

I've bought a number of books from DE ....but either the art or story ...was unsatisfying.

When I climbed on the Marvel bandwagon.... I loved FF. #4.... and #5 ....and #6... both art and story was "thrilling".
    And the hook was in. I want to believe that DE can do it, too. But they have to give me something for my eyes. A good artist and ....a good story. They aren't doing it.

Making Mandrake's pal ...the new Phantom drew an "Oh, no." from me. "How could you??"
    No respect for "side-kicks". I couldn't finish the issue.
    Now, I'm hoping again...for PSP.

I'm hoping THIS time will do it. Here's hoping.!!

Pulp hero has some very good points. As do you, leon. He (Ellis) probably won't do more than 6-12 issues. Frustrating but true. Alan Moore, Ellis and others don't seem to stay very long. Maybe they can't.

"...it seems to be very difficult to break the Svengali-like hold that Marvel and DC have over most readers of the superhero genre, and very few success stories from other publishers which you can point to as examples of how to do it right and make it marketable." Pulp hero's observation on this is pretty true, too.
    I still don't want to accept it. I want to believe that if something is done of high enough quality, both well-written and well drawn, that title can carve out a niche for itself on the shelf...
    The problem for DE is that even when something is marketable, I don't believe they market it well, and furthermore shoot themselves in the foot with the delays that seem to follow almost every title of their I have bought.

Build it and they will come. Start to build it and get side-tracked by poor oversight or planning, and what will they come to?

Question Can Ellis relaunch PSP??

The problem for DE is that even when something is marketable, I don't believe they market it well, and furthermore shoot themselves in the foot with the delays that seem to follow almost every title of their I have bought.

Build it and they will come. Start to build it and get side-tracked by poor oversight or planning, and what will they come to?
    Yes, I agree with you. Dynamite does a poor job of oversight and planning.
    It's a frustrating object lesson to climb on "the Dynamite bandwagon" as much as we want to climb on and ride.

We are pulling for them but something is not clicking. I'm hoping Warren Ellis can give us those Golden Age heroes with stories that are headed in the right direction. (And I hope JUSTICE, INC. is a success, too, but that's not this thread.)

We ARE trying to be supportive of this line. For many, maybe they are a little tired of Marvel and DC.... and want a different approach to comic book heroes.
    I thought Project: Superpowers was such a promising way to set the tone for Dynamite. All those wonderful heroes returning from the Golden Age to fight evil in today's world.
    And, boy, did they blow it. Alex Ross covers were wonderful.

The Story and interior art....not so much. ---- and for me, things just caved in.

(Sorry I'm asking this again, ...but could someone please explain to me again why The Fighting Yank thought it was necessary to entrap his fellow super-heroes, that had helped him win the war against the Nazis and fascists, and he thought this would make the world better??? ) I'm still not quite straight with that. I really would appreciate it.

Oh, sure, I've bought a good number of DE comics since then, (MASKS, THE SHADOW, etc.) but I want better comics from this Group.

I'm hoping that Ellis can give them "life". But his worldview would seem to work against it. So, I'm not holding my breath.

What they gave us last time was probably a good "first draft".....certainly not a last draft.

And you're right about the "delays" that just "murder" that comic.
    Last edited by Magno; 08-13-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added.

Have you noticed how really few ongoing series DE has? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if it doesn't have a cover number higher than 13, then they're not "building" anything. They're living in the moment. If, after that moment has passed, sales seem to have indicated that enough people enjoyed living in the moment, then it seems likely they'll revisit it sometime. Maybe, depending upon how MANY people enjoyed that moment, sometime REAL soon. But I'm really not seeing a lot of long-range planning here, just a living one day at a time approach. The fact that the print runs are way different than Marvel and DC likely dictates this as the best approach for them by and large.