Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Warren Ellis relaunches Project Superpowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Magno View Post
    What did I do??

Kill the thread.??? Geeesh. Have we heard any new news.!!??

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/Mx9IKxG.jpg)
    Will we see THOSE characters .... in action again.?? Or will they surface in a "hollow Legacy" with heroes that have NO resemblance to the Wonderful Golden Age Heroes??
    I've done that to a couple of threads. It's not a fun thing to have on your conscience.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Put it down to a lack of news or information about how, why, and exactly when the Project Superpowers line will return.

Default Feed us a little information once in a while, will ya??

Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    Put it down to a lack of news or information about how, why, and exactly when the Project Superpowers line will return.
    Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight because of you. But, yeah, we have heard very little about Ellis' project.
    Maybe it's Project: Secret Superpowers.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magno View Post
    Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight because of you. But, yeah, we have heard very little about Ellis' project.
    Maybe it's Project: Secret Superpowers.!!
    I am re-reading newuniversal right now and expecting that Eliis won't do more than 6-12 issues, and that his work will serve as the spine for what follows. Consequently I hope that DE already have the following in place:

- Have a short, medium and long-term plan and goals; simply scrabbling around for the next mini-series idea after a break of months or even years does not qualify.
    - Creative teams to pick up the baton as soon as Ellis moves on.
    - A publishing plan to get to multiple concurrent titles in a structured build up.
    - Enough lead-in time so that the PS line is not once again beset with delays; killing momentum has to kill interest in some, surely.

Whether I feel DE can do those things is another matter, but if they are investing in Ellis, who probably commands better than average page rates, then I hope DE have the vision to build on that investment and look further out to address the obstacles they themselves have historically and consistently placed in the way of their own publishing plans.

All of these things, of course, being contingent on readers embracing Ellis' re-take on the concept, for whatever the length of his run, in the first place. Commercially speaking, it seems to be very difficult to break the Svengali-like hold that Marvel and DC have over most readers of the superhero genre, and very few success stories from other publishers which you can point to as examples of how to do it right and make it marketable. And that seems to be more true today than at almost any other time in the past.

The last publishers to really do so were Image and Valiant in the early '90s, and that success turned out to be short-lived, after the speculator bubble burst. Outside of those, in recent years the only things that comes to mind are Mark Millar's "Millarworld" titles, and those had the advantage of big-name artists and being launched by Image (Wanted, Jupiter's Legacy, MPH) and Marvel's creator-owned ICON imprint (Nemesis, Superior, Kick Ass, Supercrooks). As far as company-owned superheroes go, the new Valiant and Dark Horse's Heroes line have been marginally successful for a couple of years, so I guess by Dynamite's standards that would be the level of success they could hope for. In Dark Horse's case, less successful titles can be leveraged against the more popular high-profile licensed franchise titles like Star Wars, Buffy and so on. It remains to be seen whether any of their superheroes can endure beyond a few years.