Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Warren Ellis relaunches Project Superpowers!

Quote Originally Posted by ChastMastr View Post
    We've been over the morality (or lack thereof) of using the atomic bomb on civilians during WWII quite enough, I believe, and nothing you have said has convinced me it was morally acceptable. We're obviously at a philosophical impasse here. Sorry, but I have nothing new to add to this.
    Not to stir this up any more than it already has but to tell the truth, at the time, I wish the CHARACTERS had had the debate that you two are having.

I find it hard to believe that all of these guys (and gals) were completely, fully agreed on the course of action taken. I assumed then that the writer feels a certain way, is convinced that his opinion is "right", that heroes do the right thing, so heroes did what he thought heroes would have done without really considering the other point of view.

I found some of the debates between Lama and Terror later to be among the more interesting aspects of the book. But in volume one, there's none of that despite having to make a decision that affects the course of the entire world. Yikes.
    [IMG]http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/images/SP-Lama01-Banner.jpg[/IMG]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Just seeing this now, Leon...To clarify, I don't necessarily think that the Dynamite has solved all its problems timing-wise, but I do think they've improved from the days of hving multiple months between issues. That's my perception from seeing the books pop up on comixology, anyway.

I may be giving them the benefit of the doubt a bit more than I should. In the past, they would go on a bi-monthly schedule when a book was nearing the end of it srun, but wouldn't tell anyone. When it seems a little long between issues now, I just assume they're doing that very thing. but it could be that they're just...late.
    It is great you feel they are improving. I sincerely mean that.

For me though, they have a lot of work to do to offset my perceptions. It does not mean they are not better, they may be doing very well in terms of timeliness. However right now my perceptions are based on my indivdiual consumer experience. It is going to take some steady timely consecutive releases to overcome those perceptions based on what I experienced as a paying customer. Which is why I would t challenge anyone who tries to suggest that based on my experience I can neither hold my views nor express them (and I know you are not saying that Captain Canuck, I'm just making a more general comment ).

Quote Originally Posted by leonmallett View Post
    It is great you feel they are improving. I sincerely mean that.

For me though, they have a lot of work to do to offset my perceptions. It does not mean they are not better, they may be doing very well in terms of timeliness. However right now my perceptions are based on my indivdiual consumer experience. It is going to take some steady timely consecutive releases to overcome those perceptions based on what I experienced as a paying customer. Which is why I would t challenge anyone who tries to suggest that based on my experience I can neither hold my views nor express them (and I know you are not saying that Captain Canuck, I'm just making a more general comment ).
    No problem, I get where you're coming from.

Full disclosure, I haven't bought anything regularly from Dynamite in months. Right now, the company is simply not putting out books that interest me, at least week in week out. So my perception of their current ability to remain on a schedule may not be the most accurate (as I write it out, I'm reminded that some were questioning when middle issues of Legenderry were finally going to appear, so...).

And I don't blame you anyway. It's tough to overcome having made a bad impression. it's Dynamite's job to change your mind, really.
    [IMG]http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/images/SP-Lama01-Banner.jpg[/IMG]

No problem, I get where you're coming from.

Full disclosure, I haven't bought anything regularly from Dynamite in months. Right now, the company is simply not putting out books that interest me, at least week in week out. So my perception of their current ability to remain on a schedule may not be the most accurate (as I write it out, I'm reminded that some were questioning when middle issues of Legenderry were finally going to appear, so...).

And I don't blame you anyway. It's tough to overcome having made a bad impression. it's Dynamite's job to change your mind, really.
    Indeed. Whether they agree that damage has been done with their erratic releasing is only for them to say really, but it is a perception of DE I have read from others here and elsewhere, so some degree of damage has been done by their past practices whether they choose to recognise it or not.

That said, I will give the new Project Superpowers a chance, when it appears.

I find it hard to believe that all of these guys (and gals) were completely, fully agreed on the course of action taken. I assumed then that the writer feels a certain way, is convinced that his opinion is "right", that heroes do the right thing, so heroes did what he thought heroes would have done without really considering the other point of view.
    I take it that it's been some time since you've revisited PSP, Captain. It may be time for a refresher. Disagreeing on things is just about all the heroes DO in this series. In WWII, most of the heroes disagree with Fighting Yank about his method of fixing the evils of WWII (containing "hope" back in the urn -- in other words, THEM), and that's what starts the whole plot off here. Then when SOME of the heroes go to Japan before the second bomb is dropped, to get the Japanese to surrender, it's obviously NOT all of them... go back again and look.

In the present, the entire series revolved much more about the various factions of the superheroes doing their own thing, and often as not fighting EACH OTHER, as opposed to the Claw or the Supremacy or Zeus (but hey, Zeus is actually one of the PSPers -- Captain Future, so that counts as well, as does Dynamic Man and the Dynamic Family, who are part of the Supremacy -- heck, even Scarab is part of the Supremacy). There's tense disagreement between Fighting Yank and his Revolutionary War ancestor, and between his ancestor and the American Spirit, as well. Then there are the constant bickering between Black Terror (who wants nothing more at first than to KILL Fighting Yank), and Green Lama (those two come to blows at one point as well). Add to that the various factions of the PSPers at odds with one another... Green Lama's group, President West's (aka Power Nelson's) Superpatriots, the Supremacy-manipulated Mysterymen, and Boy King's Inheritors. Then there are the little cliques who all have their own agendas... the Big Shots, the team of Ghost, Silver Streak and 'Devil, the new heroes Truth & Dare. Now that I think of it, once the secret of Daredevil was revealed, I'm not sure WHOSE side he was really on. Was the sentient costume of that Aborigine tribe REALLY some kind of... devil? Or THE Devil? Dare (who I assume is Islamic) refers to him as "Shaitan" after she inherits Truth's power to know the truth.

But there is at least one philosophical conversation in there where Green Lama and Black Terror finally resolve their issues.
    Last edited by pulphero; Today at 06:58 PM.

I should also note that the title of the series, PROJECT SUPERPOWERS, is somewhat misleading. That title, and the word "Project" itself, is never even used in the story itself. "Superpowers" here is a generic term, like "metahumans" or "mutants"... it's not meant to indicate, either in WWII or in the present, any sort of "superteam" like the All Star Squadron, or the Legion of Super-Heroes. Perhaps the fact that DC previously used the title SUPER POWERS as part of the Kenner toy line of the 1980s, and one incarnation of the animated cartoon SUPER FRIENDS (subtitled "The Legendary Super Powers Team") lends itself to this confusion as well. Even during WWII, there's no "team" except to the extent that the individual heroes each volunteer their services to aid the Allied victory. The only one with any "official" capacity is Fighting Yank, who is with the OSI. As far as the group of heroes that band together to invade Japan, again, it's only approximately a 6-page sequence, and we're not given the slightest indication on how those particular characters put their heads together and agreed upon their plan to go to Japan to get the country to surrender before another bomb could be dropped. We only see them acting together in concert, which tends to give the impression of a level of organization that doesn't really exist. Think of it as a "crisis" situation, but those who go obviously don't account for all the heroes existing at that time.

Such "teams" as do appear in the series among these superpowered characters are either loose alliances, or are definitely named: The Dynamic Family, The Big Shots, the Superpatriots, the Mysterymen, the Inheritors.
    Last edited by pulphero; Today at 07:42 PM.