Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Brief History Of The Lone Ranger

Default A old promo

I thought everybody might enjoy seeing this.

As I understand The Ranger is actually Brace Beemer, who often made public appearances as The Ranger even before he was the voice of The Ranger.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Question Are the Heroic Characters of the '30s Still Viable?

I have been reading comics for over 50 years now. I started with the Dell comics of the '50s (of which the Lone Ranger and Disney titles were my favorites) and have seen many changes in the comic book world over the years and decades.

Certain characters have become timeless-The Lone Ranger, the Shadow, Zorro (much older than the '30s, I know), the Green Hornet, Conan, Doc Savage are the best known. Most of these were pulp magazine characters or the subject of movie serials of that time (which I still love). I wonder how many of the younger fans of today realize the glorious heritage of these
    characters? Good stories, good characters, good art will always sell comics without regard as to when the heroes were created. One of the things I have
    really enjoyed about the Dynamite Lone Ranger is the respect they show for this great American legend (which Topps did not their series of a decade or so ago). I do hope the same can be said of their handling of Buck Rogers. If Zorro and the Lone Ranger are any indication, the fate of our cultural icons is
    in capable and respectful hands.

I would welcome thoughts by younger readers. The fate of comics and this
    aspect of popular literature are in your hands.

Default You bet they are

First off a hearty Hiyo to you. As long as the need for escapism is there. Heck who wouldn't want a nice steed these days. the trick is respecting the characters. Dynamite has found a nice balance seeing as the 30's pulp stories could be as lurid as anything these days there isn't much of a leap. But respecting the values of the time period especially the kid friendly cowboy code types I'll hazard that LR is their best and maybe only case that will remain solid because there isn't much grey area with his values to play in. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DE to do Red Ryder or anything and the jury is still out for me on Buck I cringe at the thought of a 21 century take on Ardala.

They did the same thing for the Green Hornet.
    There was an episode called "Beauty comes in Bottles" which was aired Nov, 17 1938during the Time Mike Axford was out of action and replaced by his nephew Timothy Axford. (the original Actor playing Mike had died ) After Mike Axford returned the Episode was re-recorded as "What Price, Glamour?" on Oct, 25 1945