• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *FLASH: Classic Galactica Returns!*

This just in from Dynamite...

THE CLASSIC CREW RETURNS!
    Dynamite Sends Classic Battlestar Back Into Orbit

June 29, 2006, Runnemede, NJ – Dynamite Entertainment today released images and information on their upcoming launch of an all-new Classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series.

The opening story arc is written by Rick Remender, illustrated by Carlos Rafael and featured two incredible covers – one by legendary artist Dave Dorman and the other by Talent Caldwell!

“Who doesn’t have a soft spot for this show? It helped start it all,” exclaimed Dynamite Spokesperson J. Allen. “New Battlestar is of course tremendous and stands on it's own. We're very fortunate to be able to do a “Classic” Battlestar series! This gives us a chance to show the reader adventures they’ve never seen featuring the original Adama, Starbuck, Apollo and the rest of the crew. Rick’s having a blast, and Carlos is an incredible find. And we will show interior pages in the coming weeks! Dave Dorman will be the regular cover artist and we’re pleased to have Talent on board with issue #1 for the special 50/50 cover. Pass the ambrosia and let out the daggits!”

Remender himself cuts to the chase of what makes Battlestar so great, even close to 30 years later: “I think as a kid in the mid seventies all you could think about was "Star Wars," so when "Battlestar Galactica" showed up it was on. The convoy in Battlestar Galactica is all that's left of humanity and if they make a wrong turn-- bye-bye human race. That connects on a few levels and it's the core to the drama of the series. “

Issue #1 on the all-new, Classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series is available in September, and available for PRE-ORDER now!

CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #1 (JUL063041) Written By Rick Remender; Art By Carlos Rafael, Covers By Dave Dorman (50%) And “Special Guest Cover” By Talent Caldwell W/Matt Banning And Dean White (50%)!

Dynamite Entertainment launches their ongoing CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA series from writer Rick Remender, artist Carlos Rafael along with series cover artist Dave Dorman –a fully painted piece from Dorman -- and issue #1 special guest alternate cover artist Talent Caldwell (joined by inker extraordinaire Batt and colorist Dean (“Punisher”) White!

Thought dead, left behind by Galactica and stranded on a planet over run by Cylons, Starbuck and Boomer must make a harrowing journey into the heart of a Cylon strong hold in hopes of stealing a ship large enough to carry themselves and the planets remaining human population and return to Galactica… if they can find it.

FANS, ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER ABOUT THE CLASSIC BSG #1 VIRGIN DORMAN COVER!

FANS, ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER ABOUT THE CLASSIC BSG #1 NEGATIVE ART EDITION OF THE CALDWELL COVER!

ALSO AVAILABLE: CLASSIC CYLON SILVER FOIL COVER TO ISSUE #1 (PHOTO COVER) AT THE MSRP COST OF $19.99!

FOR ART AND MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT:
    http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...p-C105310.html

Note: Classic Battlestar Galactica #1 will be heavily promoted in Dynamite Entertainment House Ads, through prominent online sites such as Newsarama.com, ComicBookResources.com and others, as well as interviews and ads in consumer publications such as Comic Shop News!

ABOUT DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT
    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling titles and properties. Beginning with their Army of Darkness comic book series – launching as the #1 independent comic in July of ’04 – and recently ranked the #1 selling Independent Horror comic -- and continuing to their best-selling Red Sonja series – issue #0 alone selling over 240,000 copies and ongoing issues and one-shots recently ranked among the best-selling titles in unit sales and dollar volume – and not only has Dynamite consistently released Red Sonja as THE top selling single comic outside of Marvel and DC Comics, Dynamite successfully places more titles in the Top 100 than most non-Marvel, non-DC publishers. Dynamite’s new monthly Battlestar Galactica series is the company’s first major launch of '06, debuting with an impressive 175,000 copies in initial orders sold for the introductory #0 issue. The recently released ongoing Highlander comic book series has exceeded 100,000 copies for issue #0.

Now, in addition to the ongoing Red Sonja and AOD series, DYNAMITE has released the all-new Battlestar Galactica comic by Greg Pak and Nigel Raynor – launching with a specially priced #0 issue, having sold in excess of 175,000 copies and recently featured in the pages of TV Guide, A classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series, Xena by John Layman and Fabiano Neves, a Darkman vs. the Army of Darkness mini-series and is preparing the Lone Ranger with Brett Matthews and John Cassaday – and Dynamite has more on the horizon!

In addition to the creators mentioned - Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics, including Alex (Justice) Ross, John (Astonishing X-Men) Cassaday, Michael (Superman/Batman, Aspen Comics) Turner, Jim (All-Star Batman) Lee, Michael (Red Sonja) Avon Oeming, Mike (Red Sonja/X-Men) Carey, Jim (Justice) Kruegar, Greg (The Incredible Hulk) Pak, Brett (Serenity, The Lone Ranger) Matthews - as well as working with up and coming new talent and enhancing strong creators!

The company also produces new and classic material from such creators as Paul Gulacy and Doug Moench’s Six from Sirius, Tim Truman’s Scout, Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso’s Borderline and other titles including Jim Starlin’s Dreadstar, in addition to reprint editions of classic Red Sonja material and more.

For updated information on Dynamite Entertainment and their titles, please visit the Dynamite website at
    www.dynamiteentertainment.com

Tommy.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

I'm looking forward more to this classic BSG series than I am the new one and I think it has far more potential. Plus, I think I would buy this series for the Dorman covers alone.

Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer
      I'm looking forward more to this classic BSG series than I am the new one and I think it has far more potential.
      Classic might have more freedom in that it is not constrained by the events of an ongoing television series.

However, I wonder if there are enough old series fans left to support this title.

Plus, I think I would buy this series for the Dorman covers alone.
      I find comics too expensive to buy just for the cover. Since the publisher has been releasing scans of the covers anyway to build excitement, it isn't even necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by sschroeder
        I wonder if there are enough old series fans left to support this title.
        I wonder that as well. ...especially with the $3.50 price point.

I find comics too expensive to buy just for the cover.
        I wasn't talking literally, but I would like to have a few Dorman BSG prints to go along side my Dorman Star Wars prints from about ten years ago.

Comment

So when does issue # 1 hit stores?

Comment

Originally posted by agentalbert
            So when does issue # 1 hit stores?
            looks like 10.25.06!

/joe

Comment

Originally posted by sschroeder
              Classic might have more freedom in that it is not constrained by the events of an ongoing television series.

However, I wonder if there are enough old series fans left to support this title.
              Oh, there are, most certainly are there enough. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if CBSG will outsell NBSG. Without 25 years of CBSG fans trying to get a continuation, there would be NO NBSG. There were enough CBSG fans, that universal figured a continuation would sell, and SciFi to think that they'd get an easy start audience for the crap that is the NBSG.

At least until this "set during the series, and even episodes" bull is over. For 28 years fans of the show have been clamoring and working toward a continuation that honors the original, what happened after that last episode. They create a comic, and what do they do? SET DURING THE FIRST SEASON/EPISODES. GAAAAHHH!!!
              Last edited by 3D Master; 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I think the new BSG is better than the old one in every conceivable way. I'm talking strictly about the TV shows, not the comics. It seems like a lot of fans of only the old series resent the success of the new one.

I like the new comic, but I'm looking forward to the Classic series as well.
                Last edited by agentalbert; 10-18-2006, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agentalbert
                  I think the new BSG is better than the old one in ever conceivable way. I'm talking strictly about the TV shows, not the comics. It seems like a lot of fans of only the old series resent the success of the new one.

I like the new comic, but I'm looking forward to the Classic series as well.
                  What success? You mean the success of convincing a few critics to put positive spin on things and rave about how 'good' it is, despite the fact that barely anyone's watching, and even that low number is going down?

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ba...p-tv-headlines

To illustrate the 'success' of Battlestar Galactica. Buffy and its spinoff has been gone from tv for 2 years now. It's magazine is selling. The same company that publishes the magazine, published the same magazine for Battlestar Galactica. The BSG magazine, despite the show still being on the air, has been cancelled because not enough people were buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3D Master
                    What success? You mean the success of convincing a few critics to put positive spin on things and rave about how 'good' it is, despite the fact that barely anyone's watching, and even that low number is going down?

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ba...p-tv-headlines

To illustrate the 'success' of Battlestar Galactica. Buffy and its spinoff has been gone from tv for 2 years now. It's magazine is selling. The same company that publishes the magazine, published the same magazine for Battlestar Galactica. The BSG magazine, despite the show still being on the air, has been cancelled because not enough people were buying it.
                    that's not the reason for its cancellation and not a factor showing the success or failure of the show. Ratings are still good this year, and the show has been great from from the get-go this season.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but let's not open the "Classic vs. New" can of worms on this board....

and regarding your post above about story setting, I think we played it as best we could with what we're doing. I'm not convicned we could ever get a concensus going of classic fans and their vision for the continuation of the series...

/joe

Comment

That's not the reason for its cancellation and not a factor showing the success or failure of the show.
                      What was the reason for the magazine being cancelled?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by dilbertman
                        What was the reason for the magazine being cancelled?

Jim
                        Not my place to say, just that it wasn't cancelled for the reasons speculated upon here is all...

/joe

Comment

Originally posted by JRybandt
                          that's not the reason for its cancellation and not a factor showing the success or failure of the show. Ratings are still good this year, and the show has been great from from the get-go this season.
                          The ratings are not, they're down, and going further down. And why else than 'not selling well' would anyone cancel a magazine? Hey, we're making bucket loads of money selling this thing, they're selling like hot cakes, but you know, we don't like money, so we're going to cancel it.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but let's not open the "Classic vs. New" can of worms on this board....

and regarding your post above about story setting, I think we played it as best we could with what we're doing. I'm not convicned we could ever get a concensus going of classic fans and their vision for the continuation of the series...
                          You don't need a concensus of classic fans. The only thing you can be sure about is that they want a CONTINUATION! Why else do you think they've been compaigning for one for 28 odd years? The other thing you can be sure about, is that they do NOT want comics that play during that first year and espcially not during the episodes. Far too many chances to screw up with regards to that episode; I've heard fans on some boards call it disrespectful to those episodes, even if the stories/comics fit.

And no, if the sales of the in-series comcs do well, that does not mean the fans like it, it meas the fans know that if it's sold well, the in-series will end soon, and we'll hopefully, finally, get those stories playing AFTER that final episode, continuing it, and exploring what happened to those characters and their dynamics afterward.
                          Last edited by 3D Master; 10-18-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRybandt
                            Not my place to say, just that it wasn't cancelled for the reasons speculated upon here is all...

/joe
                            How many issues were printed?

Comment

The ratings are not, they're down, and going further down. And why else than 'not selling well' would anyone cancel a magazine? Hey, we're making bucket loads of money selling this thing, they're selling like hot cakes, but you know, we don't like money, so we're going to cancel it.
                              I don't have the nuimbers in front of me, but I believe they have the same audience they did last year, if anything was down, it may have been the premiere, slightly. As for the mag, again, you're speculating without knowing the reason or having contact with those that make these decisions, trust me when I say your speculations are not correct.

You don't need a concensus of classic fans. The only thing you can be sure about is that they want a CONTINUATION! Why else do you think they've been compaigning for one for 28 odd years? The other thing you can be sure about, is that they do NOT want comics that play during that first year and espcially not during the episodes. Far too many chances to screw up with regards to that episode; I've heard fans on some boards call it disrespectful to those episodes, even if the stories/comics fit.

And no, if the sales of the in-series comcs do well, that does not mean the fans like it, it meas the fans know that if it's sold well, the in-series will end soon, and we'll hopefully, finally, get those stories playing AFTER that final episode, continuing it, and exploring what happened to those characters and their dynamics afterward.
                              When I said concensus, I meant a concensus of the direction of the continuation would require for x amount of classic fans to agree and I'm not sure that would ever be possible... imagine if we did a continuation and it wasn't "the one" that a segment of the hardcore fan base wanted? That's why it seems to be a no-win situation for any publisher...

Also, You have to take into account that we're not just making a comic fro Classic Battlestar fans, we're making a comic for the entire potential audience that enjoys comics, and that means some level of acessability and give anbd take with the hardcore fan-base.

/joe

Comment

Working...
                              X