• Show
Clear All

• Tommy
    started a topic *FLASH: Classic Galactica Returns!*

*FLASH: Classic Galactica Returns!*

This just in from Dynamite...

THE CLASSIC CREW RETURNS!
    Dynamite Sends Classic Battlestar Back Into Orbit

June 29, 2006, Runnemede, NJ – Dynamite Entertainment today released images and information on their upcoming launch of an all-new Classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series.

The opening story arc is written by Rick Remender, illustrated by Carlos Rafael and featured two incredible covers – one by legendary artist Dave Dorman and the other by Talent Caldwell!

“Who doesn’t have a soft spot for this show? It helped start it all,” exclaimed Dynamite Spokesperson J. Allen. “New Battlestar is of course tremendous and stands on it's own. We're very fortunate to be able to do a “Classic” Battlestar series! This gives us a chance to show the reader adventures they’ve never seen featuring the original Adama, Starbuck, Apollo and the rest of the crew. Rick’s having a blast, and Carlos is an incredible find. And we will show interior pages in the coming weeks! Dave Dorman will be the regular cover artist and we’re pleased to have Talent on board with issue #1 for the special 50/50 cover. Pass the ambrosia and let out the daggits!”

Remender himself cuts to the chase of what makes Battlestar so great, even close to 30 years later: “I think as a kid in the mid seventies all you could think about was "Star Wars," so when "Battlestar Galactica" showed up it was on. The convoy in Battlestar Galactica is all that's left of humanity and if they make a wrong turn-- bye-bye human race. That connects on a few levels and it's the core to the drama of the series. “

Issue #1 on the all-new, Classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series is available in September, and available for PRE-ORDER now!

CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #1 (JUL063041) Written By Rick Remender; Art By Carlos Rafael, Covers By Dave Dorman (50%) And “Special Guest Cover” By Talent Caldwell W/Matt Banning And Dean White (50%)!

Dynamite Entertainment launches their ongoing CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA series from writer Rick Remender, artist Carlos Rafael along with series cover artist Dave Dorman –a fully painted piece from Dorman -- and issue #1 special guest alternate cover artist Talent Caldwell (joined by inker extraordinaire Batt and colorist Dean (“Punisher”) White!

Thought dead, left behind by Galactica and stranded on a planet over run by Cylons, Starbuck and Boomer must make a harrowing journey into the heart of a Cylon strong hold in hopes of stealing a ship large enough to carry themselves and the planets remaining human population and return to Galactica… if they can find it.

FANS, ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER ABOUT THE CLASSIC BSG #1 VIRGIN DORMAN COVER!

FANS, ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER ABOUT THE CLASSIC BSG #1 NEGATIVE ART EDITION OF THE CALDWELL COVER!

ALSO AVAILABLE: CLASSIC CYLON SILVER FOIL COVER TO ISSUE #1 (PHOTO COVER) AT THE MSRP COST OF $19.99!

FOR ART AND MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT:
    http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...p-C105310.html

Note: Classic Battlestar Galactica #1 will be heavily promoted in Dynamite Entertainment House Ads, through prominent online sites such as Newsarama.com, ComicBookResources.com and others, as well as interviews and ads in consumer publications such as Comic Shop News!

ABOUT DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT
    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling titles and properties. Beginning with their Army of Darkness comic book series – launching as the #1 independent comic in July of ’04 – and recently ranked the #1 selling Independent Horror comic -- and continuing to their best-selling Red Sonja series – issue #0 alone selling over 240,000 copies and ongoing issues and one-shots recently ranked among the best-selling titles in unit sales and dollar volume – and not only has Dynamite consistently released Red Sonja as THE top selling single comic outside of Marvel and DC Comics, Dynamite successfully places more titles in the Top 100 than most non-Marvel, non-DC publishers. Dynamite’s new monthly Battlestar Galactica series is the company’s first major launch of '06, debuting with an impressive 175,000 copies in initial orders sold for the introductory #0 issue. The recently released ongoing Highlander comic book series has exceeded 100,000 copies for issue #0.

Now, in addition to the ongoing Red Sonja and AOD series, DYNAMITE has released the all-new Battlestar Galactica comic by Greg Pak and Nigel Raynor – launching with a specially priced #0 issue, having sold in excess of 175,000 copies and recently featured in the pages of TV Guide, A classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series, Xena by John Layman and Fabiano Neves, a Darkman vs. the Army of Darkness mini-series and is preparing the Lone Ranger with Brett Matthews and John Cassaday – and Dynamite has more on the horizon!

In addition to the creators mentioned - Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics, including Alex (Justice) Ross, John (Astonishing X-Men) Cassaday, Michael (Superman/Batman, Aspen Comics) Turner, Jim (All-Star Batman) Lee, Michael (Red Sonja) Avon Oeming, Mike (Red Sonja/X-Men) Carey, Jim (Justice) Kruegar, Greg (The Incredible Hulk) Pak, Brett (Serenity, The Lone Ranger) Matthews - as well as working with up and coming new talent and enhancing strong creators!

The company also produces new and classic material from such creators as Paul Gulacy and Doug Moench’s Six from Sirius, Tim Truman’s Scout, Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso’s Borderline and other titles including Jim Starlin’s Dreadstar, in addition to reprint editions of classic Red Sonja material and more.

For updated information on Dynamite Entertainment and their titles, please visit the Dynamite website at
    www.dynamiteentertainment.com

Tommy.

Guest replied
    Originally posted by agentalbert
    How many issues were printed?
    Battlestar Galactica(Remake): 7.

Stargate: 13.

Star Wars: 66.

Star Trek: 129.

Links:-

BSG: http://www.titanmagazines.co.uk/tita...roduct&sp=S206

Stargate: http://www.titanmagazines.co.uk/tita...Product&sp=S86

Star Wars: http://www.titanmagazines.co.uk/tita...Product&sp=S88

Star Trek: http://www.titanmagazines.co.uk/tita...Product&sp=S87
    Last edited by Star/BuckRogers; 11-12-2006, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dilbertman, I'd stop following you if you'd stop posting stuff like:

"Hey! There's a realy cool Galactica related thread over at...."

Now, if you posted something like:

"There's a whole new KARAOKE thread opened up over at..."

I'd stay away as though bad singing would kill me. And it might.

Just got this URL over at Fleets:

http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/concord.html

It's Sue Paxton's concordance site. For the good folks at Dynamite who are giving us lovely classic Galactica, it will serve well. Its excellent reference for all that stuff we've been talking about.

If I'd remembered it's existence before now, I'd have passed it on to Rick earlier!!

-G

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Gordon

Nice to see you here. Now STOP following me.

Jim

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As for issue one, I was happy to see it.

Despite what I've posted above, the folderol about whether it's after HOG or during the first season makes very little difference to me. As long as there are no concious deviations from what we know as "reality" from the show.

I was quite pleased to know that somebody out there realized that a market exists for classic Galactica fiction. And something other than Richard Hatch's egotistical ramblings. He's a nice guy, Richard, but those books... ugh. I know his character's name was Apollo, but suddenly manifesting god-like powers? Too much. Exactly what I mean when I say "deviations".

I've been in touch with both Rick and Carlos offering any help they should need as far as references and info on the series. I've gotten some pretty good questions from them too. And I've tried my best to provide them with as accurate information as possible. Photos, mini essays on colonial money, rank, etc. Its been my pleasure and quite a bit of fun.

BTW: Someone listed a bunch of Colonial units earlier. That's the list that finally was assembled after all the episodes were in and the show was cancelled. Strangely enough, the word "centon" originally meant "a day" in the pilot telemovie. Whether the complete series bible hadn't been established at that time or whatever, it eventually got whittled down to "minute" over the course of the show. If you listen to the conversation with Sire Uri about the approach through the Nova of Madagon and the message that Adama gets while they are in orbit of Carrillon, the context is clearly "day". But the writers fell in love with the word and used it again and again eventually settling it to mean "minute". Just a bit of trivia.

Anyhow, Issue 1 is not a bad thing nor a poor offering. it shows terriffic promise. I eagerly await issue #2.

-Gordon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JRybandt
    I still think this: That creating a continuatiuon of the series would only appeal to hardcore fans, and finding the right writer/continuation would leave anyone open to al sorts of "you did not do it right, it should have been done this way" whereas what we're doing appeals to everyone if doen right.
    I'm going to step in here and speak a 2 cent piece.

I can't agree with your statement above. Every new writer on every comic series faces exactly this problem. When some new writer takes over X-men or Spiderman, they run the risk of "ruining" the property... taking the continuing adventures of that magazine in a direction that hardcore fans won't like or appreciate. Its not a new phenom here.

I'll admit, it takes a certain kind of talent to pick up a 30 year old storyline and, with as few hiccups as possible, carry it on as though it never stopped, but it is possible. It just takes a little application and familiarity with the property.

Every writer who steps into a continuing series is risking a fan saying "you didn't do that right it should have been THIS." And if that's what scared off Dynamite from doing a continuation, then they're thinking too much about what the fans think instead of thinking about creating a quality comic series. The best work in comics is that which doesn't come second-guessed.

Edited to add: I don't think I've actually said this anywhere, but I am a fan of the original and the new series. The original holds a special place due to age and nostalgia and the new is a brilliant reimagining of the concepts that endured from the original (and from its inspirations).
    I'm no fan of the new show, but I am fully willing to admit the flaws of the old. There's nothing wrong with the new show technically. It is very well made. All around an excellent modern television offering. Its just not what I want to watch. Its not my gig. And it certainly isn't what I call Battlestar Galactica.

My bottom line came when I sat watching the new show... TRYING to get into it. Every time they did an homage to the old show or provided a little musical sting from the old show or made reference to an old episode, all I could do was sit there and wish I was watching the OLD SHOW.

I wish the new show all the best. I hope it continues on for many seasons. And I hop ethey take it in their own direction and completely make a new and different thing out of it. That way the differentiation will be complete and comfortable.

-Gordon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    'Hours'

Is on the top of the page where Starbuck wake's up. Frack was used like damn/shit, so fracking is like saying damning/shiting.

Dogs, in the human society of Battlestar Galactica, are known as "daggits". Boxey's robot daggit, Muffitt II, is a mechanical replacement for the one he lost during the destruction of Caprica
    Felgercarb - from Battlestar Galactica (also seen spelled feldergarb, feldercarb, or felgergarb) usage context appears to be similar to "bullshit" or "bullcrap"/ also a term for garbage and/or mechanical sludge in more polite usage. Once it was used as an interjection (as in "damn"). Although not seen in the series, according to series creator Glen Larson, a 'felger' was a bovine-like animal with six legs and multifaceted eyes that was written into several of the early Battlestar Galactica scripts, but is actually seen in Futurama.
    Time units and their closest Earth equivalents
    micron(s) - second
    centon (sen'-tawn) - minute
    centar, centares (sen'-tar, sen-tar'-ays) - hour
    secton(s) (sek'-tawn) - week
    sectar, sectares (sek'-tar, sek-tar'-ays) - month
    yahren (yah'-rain) - year
    millenium - 1000 years
    Other units
    metron - unit of distance
    maxim - 10 meters
    hectar - 100 meters
    metric - 1 kilometer

kilon - unit of power (1 kilowatt)
    megon - unit of mass (1 megaton)
    laxon - unit of dry measurement (1 bushel)
    voltons - voltage unit (1 volt)
    wavelon - unit of wavelength
    radion - unit of radiation
    ergon - unit of energy
    Currency
    There are several recognized units of currency, including Colonial cubits, Orion Cheques, quantums and markers.
    You can also check here.

http://www.kobol.com/archives/BG-FAQ.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_units

Jim
    Last edited by dilbertman; 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRybandt
    replied
    Originally posted by dilbertman
    Classic Galactica #1 Review

Overall petty good.

Art & Color - You need to keep this team for this book.

Writer - Again very good, but have a few things in need to say here.

Starbuck would not address Adama as Adama it would be Commander.

Days,weeks,hours,cigars,fracking where never used in TOS. Frack was, but not fracking.

Starbuck is talking to himself way the much.

Please us this as away to improve this book and not an attack. Looking forward to the next book and together we can hopefully make this a great book.

Jim

Did an "hour" slip in there? That's on me, not Rick, I thought II'd gotten all the measurements in there, what is Galactica for day and week?

As for fracking, well, if frack exists, than "fracking" isn't too out of bounds

/joe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Classic Galactica #1 Review

Overall pretty good.

Art & Color - You need to keep this team for this book.

Writer - Again very good, but have a few things in need to say here.

Starbuck would not address Adama as Adama it would be Commander.

Days,weeks,hours,cigars,fracking where never used in TOS. Frack was, but not fracking.

Starbuck is talking to himself way the much.

Please us this as away to improve this book and not an attack. Looking forward to the next book and together we can hopefully make this a great book.

Jim
    Last edited by dilbertman; 11-01-2006, 11:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Agent Scooter X
    Hey Jim, it's good to see you too.

Longtime no see. How ya been ?

I'm hoping also. I will be giving it a chance. I’ll admit to being less than enthusiastic because of the side story rather than a continuation.

However, if I have the time, I will try to pick up the first issue sometime tomarrow.

If I'm not mistaken, Bryan Singer (as a guest writer) wrote a few issues of X-Men last year for Marvel Comics.

Wouldn't it be great if Tom DeSanto did the same for Dynamite and adapt his BSG script for a 4 -issue mini-series.

Tell me that wouldn't sell.
    Mark

Been good, saw Tom DeSanto out at Comic Con this summer.

As Tom has said in the past, 'As soon as I have that sort of power, the fans should know that I will use that power to get the old girl out of drydock and tell this story.'

Jim

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The first two points don't bother me that much since admittedly some of us fanfic writers have fallen prey to the use of the term "Fracking" independent of that other show, and I have sometimes wondered if one can use the term "fumarello cigar" in reference to the idea that a "fumarello" is a particular brand name or type of cigar.

But the third point is the most serious one and is quite correct. Starbuck *never* challenges the brass like that, and always has enough sense to use the term "Commander" when he's in front of Adama.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "Fracking" does not exist in Classic Battlestar Galactica, there's only "frack" and "felgercarb".

"Cigars" does not exist in Classic Galactica, they're called "fumerellos".

Starbuck would never call Commander Adama, "Adama" in an official capacity. It's "Commander", or "sir". I don't think he's even ever called him "Adama" in a social setting. Starbuck is not a guy who attacks his superiors like that. He's respectful. If he has a problem with things, he addresses it without becoming abrasive.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, Joe. I am glad to hear that you are listening to these points. I sincerely hope they prove that there is an audience that does want a continuation.

Respectfully,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• JRybandt
    replied
    Originally posted by epaddon
    It'd be nice to hear some kind of answer from the powers that be to the concerns we've tried to raise regarding this point. Since I am acquainted with everyone of these people from other forums, I know I can speak for all of us in saying that are intent is not to provoke any kind of ill-feeling or flame-war with those responsible for this upcoming comic book. But what we do represent is a great deal of concern that the bigger picture of what is important to the Battlestar Galactica fanbase is being missed completely by this seemingly singular determination to avoid continuing the saga altogether.
    Don't have any answers other than what was discussed upthread, not that we're not listening to these points being made though...

/joe

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It'd be nice to hear some kind of answer from the powers that be to the concerns we've tried to raise regarding this point. Since I am acquainted with everyone of these people from other forums, I know I can speak for all of us in saying that are intent is not to provoke any kind of ill-feeling or flame-war with those responsible for this upcoming comic book. But what we do represent is a great deal of concern that the bigger picture of what is important to the Battlestar Galactica fanbase is being missed completely by this seemingly singular determination to avoid continuing the saga altogether.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X