Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*FLASH: Is This The End For Starbuck?*

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *FLASH: Is This The End For Starbuck?*



    This just in from Dynamite...



    STARBUCK’S LAST STAND?!?

    Issue #5 of Classic Battlestar Galactica Available in January



    November 8, 2006, Runnemede, NJ – Following up the SOLD OUT first issue, DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT today released images and information concerning the release of the fifth issue of the all-new CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA series! CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #5 is scheduled to ship in January and will feature covers by Dave Dorman and interior artist Carlos Rafael.

    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT’s all new adventures of the classic Galactica crew continue from creators Rick Remender and Carlos Rafael.

    Dynamite stated, "Featuring a final daring rescue attempt on a war torn planet crawling with Cylons hell-bent on the destruction of the human race, this latest issue of Classic Battlestar Galactica wraps up the first stellar story arc from Rick [Remender, writer] and Carlos [Rafael, artist]. Complete with daggits and toasters, Rick and Carlos have done a superb job with this first Classic storyline by working a perfect combination of action, adventure, drama and comedy all in original Battlestar tradition. And the covers by Dave Dorman each month are a prefect reminder of why Battlestar Galactica is at the very core of modern science fiction.”




    CLASSIC BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #5 (NOV063477) WRITTEN BY RICK REMENDER; ART BY CARLOS RAFAEL, COVERS BY DAVE DORMAN (50%) AND CARLOS RAFAEL (50%).


    The adventures of the classic grew of the Galactica continue! Issue #5 features the wrap-up of our pulse pounding first story arc - featuring the rescue of Starbuck and a lost group of Colonial survivors ands takes the action back to space as writer Rick Remender prepares his next thrilling storyline!

    Featuring covers by Dave Dorman and interior artist Carlos Rafael!


    FANS, ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER ABOUT THE CLASSIC BSG #5 NEGATIVE RAFAEL COVER!


    For art and more information, please visit: https://www.dynamiteentertainment.co...p-C106067.html


    Dynamite plans to have incredible support for this release with house ads, Diamond Previews Ads, online ads through news websites, as well as prints ads in Comic Shop News!


    ABOUT DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling titles and properties. Beginning with their Army of Darkness comic book series – launching as the #1 independent comic in July of '04 – and recently ranked the #1 selling Independent Horror comic -- and continuing to their best-selling Red Sonja series – issue #0 alone selling over 240,000 copies and ongoing issues and one-shots recently ranked among the best-selling titles in unit sales and dollar volume – and not only has Dynamite consistently released Red Sonja as THE top selling single comic outside of Marvel and DC Comics, Dynamite successfully places more titles in the Top 100 than most non-Marvel, non-DC publishers. Dynamite's new monthly Battlestar Galactica series is the company's first major launch of '06, debuting with an impressive 175,000 copies in initial orders sold for the introductory #0 issue. Dynamite’s ongoing Highlander comic book series launched to excess of 100,000 copies sold for issue #0. The recently released The Lone Ranger #1 sold out on its first day in comic shops, went in to an immediate 2nd printing, and the 2nd printing sold out from Dynamite!

    Now, in addition to the ongoing Red Sonja and AOD series, DYNAMITE has released the all-new Battlestar Galactica comic by Greg Pak and Nigel Raynor – launching with a specially priced #0 issue, having sold in excess of 175,000 copies and recently featured in the pages of TV Guide, A classic Battlestar Galactica comic book series, Xena by John Layman and Fabiano Neves, a Darkman vs. the Army of Darkness mini-series and is preparing the Lone Ranger with Brett Matthews and John Cassaday – and Dynamite has more on the horizon!

    In addition to the creators mentioned - Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics, including Alex (Justice) Ross, John (Astonishing X-Men) Cassaday, Michael (Superman/Batman, Aspen Comics) Turner, Jim (All-Star Batman) Lee, Michael (Red Sonja) Avon Oeming, Mike (Red Sonja/X-Men) Carey, Jim (Justice) Kruegar, Greg (The Incredible Hulk) Pak, Brett (Serenity, The Lone Ranger) Matthews - as well as working with up and coming new talent and enhancing strong creators!

    The company also produces new and classic material from such creators as Paul Gulacy and Doug Moench's Six from Sirius, Tim Truman's Scout, Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso's Borderline and other titles including Jim Starlin's Dreadstar, in addition to reprint editions of classic Red Sonja material and more.


    For updated information on Dynamite Entertainment and their titles, please visit the Dynamite website at
    www.dynamiteentertainment.com

    Tommy.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

  • #2
    The answer to the question posed by the title of this thread is quite obviously "NO!" since after all these stories take place within the continuum of the original series episodes, and thus no matter what plot device you come up with, Starbuck has to be right where he should be come the beginning of "Lost Planet of The Gods".

    Perhaps that will give the makers of this comic some insight as to why this concept of not continuing things after "The Hand Of God" is for so many of us, a concept that sucks the air dry of any kind of suspenseful enthusiasm and frankly the title of this thread in light of that stated policy on this comic comes off as insulting to the intelligence of original series fans.

    And incidentally, I also as an original series fan don't really appreciate hearing the term "Toaster" used to describe the traditional Cylon centurion, since that is a put-down first coined by a character in that other show (and it's not even accurate to begin with).

    Comment


    • #3
      ^What Eric said.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's an EVIL plot be David Eick to make sure no stories are told after HOG. Remember he KILLED DeSanto CARTOON NETWORK show.

        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          ^

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dilbertman
            It's an EVIL plot be David Eick to make sure no stories are told after HOG. Remember he KILLED DeSanto CARTOON NETWORK show.

            Jim
            You know that's the one that's puzzled me. How can a cartoon show based on the original and different 'Battlestar Galactica', be a threat to the new one? Unless it's downright blatant egotism and spite on Eick's part, or the ratings for the BSG Remake are so low that they fear the cartoon will grab more viewers and make the Remake itself look bad, and judging from the low ratings it might have done exactly that. As the cartoon would have appealed to a broader family demographic including children and kids love cool vehicles as toys, which an animated show based on the original Battlestar Galactica would have had in abundance, as it would have been an excellent vehicle for marketing for all ages including action figures and toys.

            Comment


            • #7
              As much as I was in favor of an animated Galactica that could appeal to all ages, my biggest concern is that THAT particular representation of Galactica would not represent the effects of the Cylon threat the way the new show does.

              Still, an animated TOS based Galactica would've been nice.

              Respectfully,
              Martok2112

              Comment


              • #8
                Right now, ANYTHING that has to do with forward momentum of the TOS storyline would be welcome, and I don't care what medium it is, though any such medium other than live-action is for me, never to be seen as any "definitive" version of what happened next, anymore than our fanfic projects serve that role.

                But in the meantime, until there is a commitment from Dynamite to moving the saga of "Battlestar Galactica" forward from the ending of "The Hand Of God", I can not in good conscience commit myself to buying any of the issues of this series because all I'd be doing is wasting my time on a story where I will be spotting first and foremost only the areas of how the story can not possibly square with what happened next in the established episodes more than any merits in the story idea itself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by epaddon
                  Right now, ANYTHING that has to do with forward momentum of the TOS storyline would be welcome, and I don't care what medium it is, though any such medium other than live-action is for me, never to be seen as any "definitive" version of what happened next, anymore than our fanfic projects serve that role.

                  But in the meantime, until there is a commitment from Dynamite to moving the saga of "Battlestar Galactica" forward from the ending of "The Hand Of God", I can not in good conscience commit myself to buying any of the issues of this series because all I'd be doing is wasting my time on a story where I will be spotting first and foremost only the areas of how the story can not possibly square with what happened next in the established episodes more than any merits in the story idea itself.
                  I recommend the Lone Ranger for you then sir!

                  joe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    An attitude like that in blowing off some of the most devoted fans of "Battlestar Galactica" who have wanted to see some things to feel good about for a lot of years, is in all candor, not going to help you sell comic books about that series.

                    My only purpose in posting here has been to express an area of deep concern that I think these threads indicate is not an opinion that comes from a vacuum or a group of one, but reflects a very broader-based area of concern, and I had hoped there might have been some candor and open discussion on this area of why there is no continuation story to be found in this series, which only comes off as having a condescending attitude about the original series to begin with.

                    But if there is to be no discussion on this, or any willingness to recognize there's a point to these concerns, well then maybe "The Lone Ranger" is what Dynamite should be doing instead of "Battlestar Galactica" so that way a team of writers and a company that actually gives a damn about the storyline and the series could be the ones doing it instead.
                    Last edited by epaddon; 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And again I feel like agreeing 100% with Eric.

                      Lone Ranger? Real nice way to show how much one cares about readers and their concerns.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I guess "read the Lone Ranger" is the new revised version of "The popcorn's in the aisle" when it comes to blowing off TOS fans trying to express some deeply felt concerns?

                        Honestly, I'd *like* to embrace the comic book, but absent a bit of understanding that goes beyond a simple "We're considering the idea" and going no further (in contrast to the lengthier posts that were made to justify why not do continuation) that really doesn't help.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by epaddon
                          An attitude like that in blowing off some of the most devoted fans of "Battlestar Galactica" who have wanted to see some things to feel good about for a lot of years, is in all candor, not going to help you sell comic books about that series.

                          My only purpose in posting here has been to express an area of deep concern that I think these threads indicate is not an opinion that comes from a vacuum or a group of one, but reflects a very broader-based area of concern, and I had hoped there might have been some candor and open discussion on this area of why there is no continuation story to be found in this series, which only comes off as having a condescending attitude about the original series to begin with.

                          But if there is to be no discussion on this, or any willingness to recognize there's a point to these concerns, well then maybe "The Lone Ranger" is what Dynamite should be doing instead of "Battlestar Galactica" so that way a team of writers and a company that actually gives a damn about the storyline and the series could be the ones doing it instead.
                          It was a joke, this subject has been discussed here, but right now, there's no answer that will make you happy from our side, hence the suggestion that if you don't like our iteration of CBSG, try another title! Hardcore CBSG fans and LR fans do share similiar sentiments on our versions of these books after all...

                          /joe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 3D Master
                            And again I feel like agreeing 100% with Eric.

                            Lone Ranger? Real nice way to show how much one cares about readers and their concerns.
                            Oh, please... I've addressed those concerns before, to you directly I believe, but not to your satisfaction, so why go down that road again? It was a joke, nothing more...

                            /joe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by epaddon
                              I guess "read the Lone Ranger" is the new revised version of "The popcorn's in the aisle" when it comes to blowing off TOS fans trying to express some deeply felt concerns?

                              Honestly, I'd *like* to embrace the comic book, but absent a bit of understanding that goes beyond a simple "We're considering the idea" and going no further (in contrast to the lengthier posts that were made to justify why not do continuation) that really doesn't help.
                              i have no idea what your popcorn analogy means, but yea, "Read the Lone Ranger" is now cannon for dealing with hardcore fans that continue to say everything a company is doing wrong becasue their vision of that property/character isn't being met. Hey, I've got a new catchphrase!



                              I'm not sure what you guys are looking for here, unless it's an endless cycle of a few fans saying "continue the series" and me saying "there's no plans to do that right now" because there's no plans right now to do a continuation of the classic series. Doesn't mean it's never going to happen, but right now it's not in the works.

                              Ya wanna do something that would certainly help you get a leg up in this discussion? Gather your forces, do an e-petition (http://www.ipetitions.com/start-petition/) that allows us access to everyone who signs it and their email addresses and get me a list of fans that not only want a continuation, but will actively support such a continuation, say about 10-15,000 or so would be a good start...

                              I'm serious about this, becaause as I've said before, doing a continuation that doesn't match each and every fans expectations, or what they've been writing in their own head is a avery, very risky thing for anyone to do, so to do it, aside fromt he creative issues, you'd need to know the fans are ready for it and willing to support it.

                              /joe

                              "Read the Lone Ranger!"
                              Last edited by JRybandt; 11-21-2006, 10:35 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X