The Proposition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Proposition

(The reason I post this item of interest here is the number of "Western"-fans we have here in this section of the forums, and I thought you might not have heard of this. I don't know what kind of exposure this pic got in the 'States...)

Today, I saw a film. Amazingly, I hadn't seen this - it's been around since 2005 and I've been meaning to get around to it. Y'know how it is. It's an award-winning Australian film called "The Proposition". The credits have just stopped rolling, and I can tell you without a doubt, that as of just having watched it, as of now, this film is DEFINITELY one of my all-time favourites!! Hollywood doesn't make them like this! If you're a fan of the "Western" film genre, see this film. SEE it.

(EDIT: I had written more here, but bugger it - I'm not gunna tell you a damn thing! You'll just have to watch it! )

Tommy.
    Last edited by Tommy; 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM. Reason: Nunya... :P
    Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

^_^ I have not seen this before.

Comment

the prospect

"undeniably, impressive, bloodily violent...."

[wrinkles nose] I think i'll be skipping this one. sorry.
      cindy

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
        ^_^ I have not seen this before.
        Then find it, rent/buy/"acquire" it and SEE IT!

Originally posted by CindyR
        "undeniably, impressive, bloodily violent...."

[wrinkles nose] I think i'll be skipping this one. sorry.
        cindy
        Because it's "undeniably impressive" or because it's "bloodily violent"?

(Kiddin' )

Yeh, I wouldn't recommend this film to either the squeamish or to those whose tastes likely run counter to this kinda thing (just to qualify that statement - I don't refer here to either of those groups in a derogatory fashion. It's a matter of taste and that's fine with me). To the wider community at large though, I absolutely recommend this pic.

Tommy.
        Last edited by Tommy; 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM. Reason: A redundant "here", of all things... :)

Comment

Sat down to watch this film again a few minutes ago, and had an idea! So I went hunting, and found these trailers and excerpts from The Proposition over at YouTube. I thought this might give those of you who're interested a clearer idea as to the nature of the film. Here y'go...

Australian trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmXPkzJyks

Tartan Films (UK) Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9rMr7MmLQ

A clip (one of a number to be found on the site): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-fz15eNbU

Enjoy!

Tommy.

Comment

Thank You

Comment

This is my all-time favorite western, and one of my all-time favorite films. I became interested in it when I found out that Nick Cave -- who's one of my favorite singers -- wrote the script. If you're familiar with Cave's work, then you'll see themes and flourishes throughout the film that reflect his interests and concerns (which revolve around morality, love, religion, etc.). A great, great film ... the only DVD that I own (if that says anything).

Doesn't matter that it's set in Australia, it gets the whole frontier vibe down. And I think it has some of the most realistic portrayals of violence I've ever seen. Not frequent ... and certainly not drawn out ... but when they happen good lord they're intense. Much better than Unforgiven, imo, which is probably the one western that is closest in "tone".

I highly recommend this for anyone who's a fan of the genre (or good movies in general).

Comment

Working...
              X