• Show
Clear All

• ezwind72
    started a topic Has anyone seen this?

Has anyone seen this?

From Newsarama:

Red Sonja vs. Red Sonya in court this week
    Monday July 16, 2007, 8:42 am

The battle over Red Sonja — or is that Red Sonya? — finally heads to court this week.

The Wilmington, Del., News Journal reports that opening arguments are scheduled for today in a federal courtroom in Red Sonja LLC’s $5 million lawsuit against Paradox Entertainment.

The lawsuit, filed in April 2006, alleges unfair competition and trademark infringement by Paradox, which around that time acquired the rights to Conan the Barbarian and the entire Robert E. Howard library — including Red Sonya. That’s Sonya, with a “y.”

A pistol-packing Russian warrior from the 16th century, that character appeared in just one short story in the 1930s. However, as the News Journal reports, “Most media outlets missed the spelling distinction and reported that Paradox had acquired the rights to Red Sonja — with a ‘j’ — the one who prefers to wear a chain-mail bikini when she heads out for a flagon of ale.”

And that’s where Red Sonja, LLC, comes in. That company, as you may have guessed from the name, owns the rights to the better-known Red Sonja — with a “j” — the character created in 1973 by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith for use in the Conan comics then published by Marvel. Although loosely based on Howard’s character, the two are different, and the rights to Red Sonja were sold by Howard’s estate in 1982.

In its lawsuit, Red Sonja, LLC, claims the lack of spelling distinction was intentional on the part of Paradox. The plaintiff further alleges Paradox posted one of the incorrect news stories on its website, “thereby citing that publication of proof of ownership of Red Sonja.” (The News Journal reports that, in a recent hearing, attorneys for Red Sonja, LLC, said Paradox had tried but failed to acquire the rights to Red Sonja before the announcement.)

The complaint also alleges that Paradox has made other efforts to create confusion between the characters, and attempted to interfere with contracts and potential contracts regarding Red Sonja.

Paradox denies the allegations and, in response, argues that Red Sonja, LLC, had allowed its trademark to lapse, and claims that Red Sonja, LLC, has infringed upon Paradox trademarks by making references to Paradox-owned characters, such as Conan.

The News Journal points out that Paradox filed for a trademark for “Age of Hyboria,” the fictional era in which Red Sonja and Conan exist, “setting up the possibility that Red Sonja LLC could win the rights to the character, but she would never again be allowed to exist in the world that has been her home since she was created."

So, I guess I am a little confused. Does this mean that if Red Sonja LLC loses, Dynamite can't use the character anymore w/o Paradox's permission? If Red Sonja LLC wins, can they still have her in the Age Of Hyboria? Any legal experts out there that can comment on this??

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ezwind72
    So what is it that makes people unhappy about DE rendition of Sonja? I myself really enjoy it. It happens to be on the top of my list of favorites right now and it seems to get better every month, IMHO. And I am very intrigued and excited about the cross over with Spidey. Spidey is first and foremost my favorite character with Red up there in the top 10 and when I heard they were teaming up again I got almost giddy. But anyway, back to my original point, I would be more than a little upset if DE lost the rights to use her and she got shelved by the new owner. And I also like that they have distanced her from Conan. But those are just my 0.02$.
    I find the story and plot very boring. The pace too slow. Every single arc seems like forcefully extended. For example, the first arc could have been done in no more than 3-4 instead of 6. The end was awful and the "surprised" secret of the celestial one was just too lame. That is just an example. The continued storyline of Kulan Gath has just been extended for way too long. I like wandering Sonja with new and different advantures to look forward to.

I do like the art though, Rubi is awesome and Homs is good... if only the storyline can match with the art.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied

I think I may be alone in my excitement for this one! I still think it'll be great fun!
    I certainly don't believe for an instant that you'll be alone on that one! It's the kind of project which is tailor-made for those readers who enjoyed the old Marvel crossover between these two heroes, and for those who might be relatively new to either or both characters who like the idea of a face-off.

Originally posted by P~~
    Well, is Spidey going to get to defeat her and then think she looks like Mary Jane (MJ), and because she lost she is alright being with Spidey? DE dont let it happen.
    I truly doubt that such would occur in this mini-series. I just don't see it happening.

Tommy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think I may be alone in my excitement for this one! I still think it'll be great fun!
    I feel your pain, but not on this one. Think back to when Wolvering beat Sonja in a "What If". Suddenly she looked like Jean Grey to him and she found someone who defeated her. Well, is Spidey going to get to defeat her and then think she looks like Mary Jane (MJ), and because she lost she is alright being with Spidey? DE dont let it happen.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by P~~
    The DE Sonja to me only has three emotions from what I have read. Upset, Pissed Off, and chop your head off angry. I have not seen recent issues, but the few issues where they try to have her kind and caring just feels, fake to me. I guess a better word to describe Sonja is Hard. She is just too hard, I prefer the idea she is confident but struggles at times also being insecure. By giving her more emotions means you can come up with more complex plot lines.
    I guess I never thought of it like that. Reading some of the older Marvel comics, I see what you mean. That is one thing they could improve on, you're right. I still think the series as a whole is pretty great though. Perhaps Brain Reed can bring a more caring side to her.

Originally posted by P~~
    As for a Spidey / Sonja Team up. Ugg! That means they are part of the same world. That goes along with Transformers and Spidey team up, then the G.I.Joe vs. Transformers. Basically you've just made it so all characters are part of the same universe. YUCK! I just don’t think a "Super-Hero" like Spidey should ever be teamed up with an "Extraordinary-hero" like Sonja, especially when they do not come from the same universe. / World etc...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So what is it that makes people unhappy about DE rendition of Sonja? I myself really enjoy it. It happens to be on the top of my list of favorites right now and it seems to get better every month, IMHO. And I am very intrigued and excited about the cross over with Spidey. Spidey is first and foremost my favorite character with Red up there in the top 10 and when I heard they were teaming up again I got almost giddy. But anyway, back to my original point, I would be more than a little upset if DE lost the rights to use her and she got shelved by the new owner. And I also like that they have distanced her from Conan. But those are just my 0.02$.
    The DE Sonja to me only has three emotions from what I have read. Upset, Pissed Off, and chop your head off angry. I have not seen recent issues, but the few issues where they try to have her kind and caring just feels, fake to me. I guess a better word to describe Sonja is Hard. She is just too hard, I prefer the idea she is confident but struggles at times also being insecure. By giving her more emotions means you can come up with more complex plot lines.

As for a Spidey / Sonja Team up. Ugg! That means they are part of the same world. That goes along with Transformers and Spidey team up, then the G.I.Joe vs. Transformers. Basically you've just made it so all characters are part of the same universe. YUCK! I just don’t think a "Super-Hero" like Spidey should ever be teamed up with an "Extraordinary-hero" like Sonja, especially when they do not come from the same universe. / World etc...

In the long run, I don’t mind who gets control of Sonja legally, as long as they give her more personality and complex plot lines. If DE actually reads these forums and pays attention to the fans then I think they could achieve the best results for her.

Thats my .02 *Ka-Ching*

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pvehk
    Well, at least one Conan/Howard fan. And I´ve been a Spider-Man/Marvel fan for even longer, so I´m ok with that team-up too.
    I'm also another Conan fan still following RS but not too happy the way it is going. And I'm also a big Spider-man fan but do not like these types of cross-overs that "pollute" the originality of the character and its settings.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mikey_C
    I think the world of Hyboria is handled sloppily by DE. I'm not sure they deserve to keep it. Dark Horse have tried to substitute the character Janissa for RS, which has been one of the least successful aspects of the new Conan. Personally I think they should stick more to developing authentic Howard characters: he was capable of depicting strong women such as Belit and Valeria.

RS is off on her own trajectory. I really wonder how many Conan / Howard fans are following her at this stage. I doubt whether any of them at all are intersted in seeing her teamed up with Spidey, for example.
    I agree regarding Janissa. DH did try to bring her as a replacement for RS and I agree it has been a lame attempt. But otherwise, DH has done an exceptional job with Conan with some exceptions mostly on the side projects.

I post on the Conan boards and majority of the Conan followers, including myself, are not thrilled the way RS has been handled by DE.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wonder how much Red Sonja is worth as a character? Let's just pool our money and buy her.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    RS is off on her own trajectory. I really wonder how many Conan / Howard fans are following her at this stage. I doubt whether any of them at all are intersted in seeing her teamed up with Spidey, for example.
    Well, at least one Conan/Howard fan. And I´ve been a Spider-Man/Marvel fan for even longer, so I´m ok with that team-up too.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Wandering Barbarian
    On a related note, why is DE claiming on the inside front cover that Red Sonja is a Howard character because she is NOT!
    Yeah that’s kind of ironic, especially since “…The complaint also alleges that Paradox has made other efforts to create confusion between the characters”

If anything is creating confusion between the characters or muddying the waters, it’s claims like that.
    Howard did not create Sonja.
    But on the same note Paradox should make sure their Sonya is not being intentionally confused with the She-Devil with a Sword.
    Last edited by Guicho; 07-17-2007, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied

I think the world of Hyboria is handled sloppily by DE. I'm not sure they deserve to keep it. Dark Horse have tried to substitute the character Janissa for RS, which has been one of the least successful aspects of the new Conan. Personally I think they should stick more to developing authentic Howard characters: he was capable of depicting strong women such as Belit and Valeria.

One thing I wonder about this court case is: where will it leave the Roy Thomas reprints?
    Actually, I liked the character of Janissa in Darkhorse's Conan, and wanted to see her further developed...

I'm a Conan/Howard fan, and I like the Dynamite Red Sonja. I don't mind the Sonja series being on a trajectory of it's own - I don't actually want it to be hog-tied to Conan. The story looks as though it is moving back toward a more "classically-inspired" pseudo-Hyborian setting - although I've gotta admit I'm impatient for this! And no - I'm definitely not a fan of Spiderman.

Tommy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

One thing I wonder about this court case is: where will it leave the Roy Thomas reprints?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    On a related note, why is DE claiming on the inside front cover that Red Sonja is a Howard character because she is NOT!

Also, I wouldn't mind Paradox to get Sonja's rights... I think Dark Horse has done a hell of a job with Conan and I'm disappointed the way Red Sonja is handled by DE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X