ISSUE 8: Spoilers, Reviews, Comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISSUE 8: Spoilers, Reviews, Comments

Any word yet on when issue 8 will be shipping?
    Cindy

I'm betting it's gonna be a while still. We still haven't even seen the cover art.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I've only just a short time ago got hold of #7, so I'm tipping #8's a little ways off yet...

Tommy.
      Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Well, we're five weeks removed from issue #7 and we have yet to see cover art. In last week's e-mailer Lone Ranger #8 was listed as "coming soon," so here's hoping it really is. I don't care if I don't see the cover until it hits the shelves, I just hope it hits them soon.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I found some reviews of Lone Ranger #8 around the 'net:

Paperback Reader Review

Silver Bullet Comics Review
          DECODER RING THEATRE
          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Cindy’s Lone Ranger review-issue 8

SPOILERS

It’s been a week since the issue came out and I just received it. WOW! Another amazing issue—one of the best so far! Lots of dialogue, and we learn quite a bit about the Lone Ranger’s inner feelingsas well. We meet the new antagonists for the rest of this arc, a group of men set on lynching a Mexican accused of murder. They’re tough but honest men. “We don’t care about the law. We care about justice.” But they also know they’ve met their match in the slender masked boy and his big indian partner, so they back off…for now. That fight is yet to happen.
            Their words show the territory’s view of the masked man, though. Not knowing his goal is to break one corrupt politician, they mark his actions against the BC railroad, etc. to simple vandalism; obviously, they haven’t realized the masked man’s actions are targeted against the possessions and breaking of only the hated Butch Cavendish. However, they have realized that this masked man is administering the law; albeit, as he sees fit. His reputation as an unbadged lawman seems to be growing.
            Tonto is a reluctant follower in this issue. He doesn’t agree with the Lone Ranger’s show of trust to the nearly killed Mexican, seems indifferent to the Mexican as a man. Does he sense something about the man’s personality that the Ranger doesn’t? and what will the Mexican do now that he’s glimpsed Linda and knows she’s associated with the Ranger?
            Best and most telling scene—and my favorite—is the one between Linda and John at the end. His bitterness has shown through in this issue, and he practically states his purpose to become a symbol of fear to evildoers, but Linda brushes that aside on a personal level, saying she isn’t afraid of him. And how could she be? She’s probably known the boy for years, maybe even watched him grow up, and knows the inner goodness beneath the continued grief and determination. This scene shows how difficult it is for her to have lost her husband, though, and her continued need and worry about her husband’s young brother. He can’t do anything about her need for comfort and can’t even bear for her to use his birth name anymore.
            Interesting comment: Linda’s mention of John’s intense loneliness. When and how will that bond with Tonto form that we saw in the series? Maybe while they’re running the gauntlet with the Mexican? This inquiring mind can’t wait to find out!
            [slavering for more] Cindy

crossposted: the cave forum
            Last edited by Tommy; 09-22-2007, 09:42 PM. Reason: Made the "Spoilers" heading a little more idiot-proof... :)

Comment

Interesting with all the complaints about how late the book is, how long it takes people to go get it once it's out.

I'm kind of wondering why the Ranger would leave Tonto with the Mexican and return to the mine to shoot up a side of beef. It seems like something is out of sequence there.

Comment

issue 8

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
                I'm kind of wondering why the Ranger would leave Tonto with the Mexican and return to the mine to shoot up a side of beef. It seems like something is out of sequence there.
                It's daylight during that scene. in that location he can obviously only travel at night, either with or without the mask.
                cindy

Comment

Somebody around here must....

....really like me or I am just about the dumb luckiest comics fan around. The shoot-out scene was amazing I always wanted LR to pull that off. There is no better way to disarm a guy than shooting the hammer from his pistol. Wow been away for awhile so I apologize for coming in late. I really liked this one so many classic and subtle homages. My favorite would have to be Tonto as Kato with his darts. Linda's presence is driving me nuts because I am dreading the fact Matthews is building her up only to eventually rub her out. I also wouldn't want to see some weird romance form between her and John. Anyway her character is fast becoming the heart and soul of book 2, picking up Tonto's mentoring slack. John better workon his hand to hand if he ever comes face to face with Butch he is getting scarier and scarier he may not be Lex Luthor but he most definitely not a push over. Nice to see John playing Sherlock and getting his CSI old west on with the side of beef.

Comment

issue 8

i didn't notice the homage to kato with the throwing spears. i had meant to mention how cool that was, tho--using arrow heads like that.
                    i don't think [read: desperately hope NOT!] that matthews is going to rub out linda. then the ranger would be forced to raise a kid which i always believe should have ended his career.i hope he just sends them back to wyoming to appear another time.
                    cindy

Originally posted by tonto
                    ....really like me or I am just about the dumb luckiest comics fan around. The shoot-out scene was amazing I always wanted LR to pull that off. There is no better way to disarm a guy than shooting the hammer from his pistol. Wow been away for awhile so I apologize for coming in late. I really liked this one so many classic and subtle homages. My favorite would have to be Tonto as Kato with his darts. Linda's presence is driving me nuts because I am dreading the fact Matthews is building her up only to eventually rub her out. I also wouldn't want to see some weird romance form between her and John. Anyway her character is fast becoming the heart and soul of book 2, picking up Tonto's mentoring slack. John better workon his hand to hand if he ever comes face to face with Butch he is getting scarier and scarier he may not be Lex Luthor but he most definitely not a push over. Nice to see John playing Sherlock and getting his CSI old west on with the side of beef.

Comment

Linda? yeep!

Just noticed this sentence, and wanted to say...
                      Oh, YUCK!
                      romance...that would be *bad. John's her little brother!!!
                      [still reeling at the thought] cindy
                      [tho as a p.s., i wouldn't be surprised if she was keeping company with tonto after all this time. (*Respectable* company, that is.) she probably sees him one heck of a lot more than she sees john, and what little interaction we've seen, she's a lot more comfortable with him than with john (as is dan, jr.)]

....Linda's presence is driving me nuts because I am dreading the fact Matthews is building her up only to eventually rub her out. I also wouldn't want to see some weird romance form between her and John.

Comment

Originally posted by CindyR
                        Just noticed this sentence, and wanted to say...
                        Oh, YUCK!
                        romance...that would be *bad. John's her little brother!!!
                        Don't you mean little brother-in-law?

Comment

little brother

wouldn't change the 'yuck' factor.
                          i mean, she's been married anywhere from 7 or 8 to as much as 15 years, making her...[does quick math] years old. and john is 19? she watched him grow up from a button.
                          [shakes head] yuck.
                          cindy

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
                          Don't you mean little brother-in-law?

Comment

Yuck indeed

I completely agree that's why I brought it up. Yeah sending them off would kinda amp up the guilt/responsibility factor for the older Ranger. Since we won't see that Ranger I hope Linda and Dan stick around for awhile at least a year. Although I would rather see Linda play a role in either John or Tonto's life than some silly "lady Rawhide" type character to play Catwoman to John's Batman. Not that that's always a bad thing but an Irene Adler type would better suit LR than some overtly mega-femme fatale.

Comment

Linda?

i rather like the part she's playing now: sisterly/motherly last connection to family role. i'd hate to see her in a crime-fighting role in any form. won't happen, i think; look at john and tonto's reaction when bad guy even glimpses her.
                              cindy

I completely agree that's why I brought it up. Yeah sending them off would kinda amp up the guilt/responsibility factor for the older Ranger. Since we won't see that Ranger I hope Linda and Dan stick around for awhile at least a year. Although I would rather see Linda play a role in either John or Tonto's life than some silly "lady Rawhide" type character to play Catwoman to John's Batman. Not that that's always a bad thing but an Irene Adler type would better suit LR than some overtly mega-femme fatale.

Comment

Working...
                              X