The Ranger's Mask

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ranger's Mask

There has been some discussion about how the Lone Ranger looks in his outfit. Sergio Cariello and John Cassaday have given us a good looking Ranger, but several of us have had our gripes about various things. His shirt is too big. His scarf is too big. Hat too floppy. Yada, yada, yada.
    My issue is the mask. I have compalined before that the eye holes are too big. Does anyone else feel that way? Is anyone else interested in seeing the more traditional Clayton Moore style mask with the nose exposed? Is there any chance that may be in the works? Tommy? Anyone? What do you think?

I will agree that the eyeholes cold be smaller. I actually like the more Zorro-esque mask, however. As for the also oft-complained about hat - I've been reading some of Striker's novels and he always describes the Ranger as wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Clayton Moore's hat is not wide-brimmed. This is more like the hat I see in my mind's eye when reading the novels. It's not exactly the same, but it's closer.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Personally, I like the mask as it is. I think the larger eye-holes allow the artist room for greater expressiveness and empathy in the character.

Tommy.
      Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy

Personally, I like the mask as it is. I think the larger eye-holes allow the artist room for greater expressiveness and empathy in the character.

Tommy.
        I agree with our Aussie Administrator....I'm president of his fan club.

If Lone Ranger(Joe) wants smaller eyeholes, I want him to shave off that mustache on his Avatar....everytime I see it, it throws my Lone Ranger mindset for a loop. Heh Heh!

Ranger01

Comment

I'm okay with the mask as is.

Comment

mask

i don't mind the mask or outfit as is.

cindy

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
              My issue is the mask. I have compalined before that the eye holes are too big. Does anyone else feel that way? Is anyone else interested in seeing the more traditional Clayton Moore style mask with the nose exposed?

With the half face wraparound mask they are definitely going for the I am vengeance I am the night, Dark Knight, Zorro look, (weather that is appropriate to Lone Ranger or not is another issue) but if they made the eyeholes any smaller it wold drift even further into that territory (at least visually) practically leaving only his scowl and the whites of his eyes, so I’d have to say no to shrinking the eye holes.
              As far as exposing his nose or his ears, yeah that would be more iconic if you’re doing a Lone Ranger not out to scare everyone to death with his look but just be a bit mysterious in hiding his identity.
              I think that would conflict with what they are doing with the character though.
              There is some precedent for the nose being covered though, so if they eventually want to make him less like Zorro I would uncover the ears but keep the rest.
              Last edited by Guicho; 11-02-2007, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I like everything they have done with this version of the TLR. It has a respect for what was,yet has found it's own way too. If I could make a comparison, the older LR stories are akin to John Wayne. The new LR stories are akin to Clint Eastwood. I love both, but each has it's own nueances.

Comment

Working...
                X