• Show
Clear All

• Ranger and Zorro and Tarzan oh my!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tar...-Volume-1/8380

I might just pick this up...

Peter

Sweet Christmas!

This looks great!
    Unfortunately the Burroughs Estate retains the rights to all the Tarzan segments of the show so he won’t be part of the package. Hopefully they can release those separate one day. But these two look great together.
    Last edited by Guicho; 11-06-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Newsarama has a review of this set. So you don't have to scroll around for it, here's what they had to say:

Originally posted by Newsarama
      THE NEW ADVENTURES OF THE LONE RANGER & ZORRO (BCI) (2 DVDs)

The year is 1981, and Filmation is at its peak. As co-founder Lou Scheimer would explain in the extra content, in order to meet deadlines the animation studio was pounding out so much work they had to actually subcontract out to a studio in Japan. As it happened, one such show being so farmed was this one.

The show itself actually started as the Tarzan/Lone Ranger Hour January 1981, with Zorro boldly crashing the party that fall. One can only assume the reason why all the Tarzan episodes were pulled (I suspect Disney being the rights holder myself), but what’s left is interesting in its own right.

For the record, every aspect of the Ranger’s episodes were done domestically, and they actually suffer because of it. While the voice acting and overall design can stand up with the best of the Jay Silverheels/ Clayton Moore series, the action sequences—even Filmation’s trademark stock footage sequences—were stiffer than usual. On the other hand, the Zorro episodes were shipped off to Japan, and the action and color elements looked plainly better because of it. Yes, Scheimer says there were “mistakes” with the imports, but no where near the number of ones I saw on the Ranger episodes. No matter what, both shows were more fun than much of the garbage that was being spewed out on Saturday mornings at that time. No wonder the series is fondly remembered.

The only other sad news is Scheimer making a comment about this being near the end of BCI’s overall superlative work on the Filmation library. If that is truly the case, the studio should be thanked for all the work they put into this series. Let’s hope they find another studio to mine in a similar fashion. I know I’d be more than glad to see it.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I found an Episode List for this set:

Disc 1 has the Lone Ranger episodes:
        - Episode 1: "The Runaway"
        - Episode 2: "Hanga the Night Monster"
        - Episode 3: "Yellowstone Conspiracy"
        - Episode 4: "The President Plot"
        - Episdoe 5: "The Great Balloon Race"
        - Episode 6: "The Escape"
        - Episode 7: "The Valley of Gold"
        - Episode 8: "Tall Timber"
        - Episode 9: "Blowout!"
        - Episode 10: "The Abduction of Tom Sawyer"
        - Episode 11: "The Black Mare"

Disc 2 has the Zorro episodes (and the Bonus Features):
        - Episode 1: "Three's A Crowd"
        - Episode 2: "Flash Flood"
        - Episode 3: "The Blockade"
        - Episode 4: "The Frame"
        - Episode 5: "Turnabout"
        - Episode 6: "The Tyrant"
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Looks like Volume 1 was a success, Volume 2 has just been announced for June.

If you haven't picked up Volume 1 yet, here's an excellent review.
          http://animated-views.com/2008/the-n...orro-volume-1/

(Still no word on Filmation's Tarzan segmant yet.)
          Last edited by Guicho; 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X