Did anyone read issue 30?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone read issue 30?

I read it last night. I was just curious to see what other people thought of it. I thought it was a very so so issue. I wasn't all that impressed with the art and the flashback story had a very "filler" feel to it. I am interested to see where the story is headed, but I am concerned about the ever changing creative team till issue #35. Is every issue going to be filler until the next big story arc (whatever that may be)? I would hate to see the series canceled because fans lost interest. Hopefully I am only one of the few who didn't think too much of the issue. I really do like the series, it's one of the few books I look forward to these days. I was even looking forward to this issue because it was written by Ron Marz and I love what he is doing over in Witchblade. Oh well, can't love every issue, right?

Question: Is this a follow-up to her going to the afterlife, or not?

Obviously, I haven't picked it up yet. :P

Comment

I am willing to see where this story goes. I could see why some might feel that the flashback was filler, but voyages to see death usually are some kind of flashback to previous experience, It is a very common trope. I am interested to see Sonja take on this trip, but I hope it doesn't drag on through some kind of 6 issue arc of endless questioning and flashback. If the editors start allowing that, then it's time they and the writers get out some old Howard novels, Burroughs John Carter of Mars and a few other classics of the pulp hero genre and learn how to write the stuff.

Comment

Yes, this is a follow up to her trip to the afterlife. I don't have a problem with flashbacks but the issue just seemed so blah to me. I am generally interested in where it is headed though. That, and like I said, I was not too thrilled with the art.

Comment

I suck,

I have not read any of the recent stuff. Did Sonja die recently and is now in hades?
          Last edited by P~~; 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Red Sonja is not a major character for me I need to buy and read at all cost even though I saw some interesting previews recently, but a big fat hardcover omnibus like Marvel does, that might get me to read some of this series, possibly after this arc is done, if so
            Last edited by Renaud; 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM.

Comment

At least now we get to see some backstories on Red Sonja's past.

Comment

I read it. Seemed a little out of the norm for Sonja, but not wildly so. Definitely seemed like her younger days.

Looking forward to seeing where this leads now, but I hope it gets there pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by P~~
                  I suck,

I have not read any of the recent stuff. Did Sonja die recently and is now in hades?
                  And I still want to know ....

P~

Comment

Originally posted by P~~
                    And I still want to know ....

P~

Yes, she died and went to Hades... unless it's all a trick of Kulan Gath....

Comment

Originally posted by Raymar3d
                      Yes, she died and went to Hades... unless it's all a trick of Kulan Gath....

Yea,

I finally went and picked a copy of it. I say blah, blah, f#$% blah about it. It’s not horrible and it does give them a chance to do a few unique things with the character. But the whole martyr thing for ending that story line seems even more blah.

What a great chance for her to meet the "God of Death" or "Death" and become his avatar. Then she might have lost the support of her goddess but gained something so much.

In a way she could become an immortal from something like this. The god of death takes her heart and places in a jar so she will not die until he destroys it ... etc. But that I think would also ruin the character. She would be no better than the walking dead or a lich.

Good luck Dynamite,
                      P~

Comment

Issue #31

I liked #31. It was a good tale. I think I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

I often wondered how she'd react in a scenario like this one, and it was satisfactory to see how they handled it.

Ken

Comment

I've liked this current arc quite a bit. Its nice to see Sonja have to question herself and pay a bit for the at times level of arrogance she has had throughout the series. Seeing her humbled in 30, and truely capable of love in 31 were both interesting and refreshing stories.

Comment

Working...
                          X