New Red Sonja Movie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Red Sonja Movie

I just read this on Dark Horizons and personally I'd like to see Laura Prepon as Red Sonja if she'd go back to her natural hair color.

"Red Sonja" Swings Again

Millennium Films and Emmett/Furla Films are bringing sword-and-sorcery comicbook heroine "Red Sonja" back to the bigscreen reports Variety.

The $25+ million budget flick's announcement comes a year after Dynamite Entertainment launched a new Red Sonja series that has gone on to be one of the bestselling indie comicbooks on the market.

Red Sonja, created by sword-and-sorcery legend Robert E. Howard, was introduced into Marvel's "Conan the Barbarian" comics in 1973 and soon was given her own title.

A 1985 "Red Sonja" pic with Brigitte Nielson and Arnold Schwarzenegger, was released by MGM to dismal box office numbers and poor reviews.

OH MY GOD, cooool.

Now, is that budget good or not? I have no clue!

We need a survey with a listing of the hottest current Red Head actresses with the right physique and lets see what happens.

Too bad I am not a movie buff, any volunteers?

Thanks for the post, the wait begins!

Comment

As a big Red Sonja fan, I think this news is very exciting and just hope they don't royally screw it up like they did with the previous movie version! As for an actress to play Sonja, my vote would be for Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3, Bloodrayne), she'd be perfect acting-wise and looks wise for the character in my opinion. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I've been reading the Dynamite Sonja comics from the premiere issue and have to say they're excellent!

Tony

Comment

Here's a picture of Kristanna Loken to further illustrate my choice for her as Sonja.....

Tony
        Attached Files

Comment

I received an official release about this last night from Dynamite, so I've posted it up for you guys. It's the "*FLASH: Millennium Films Picks-Up Sonja*" thread.

Tommy.
          Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

FMLY is the Company Stock Symbol to Benefit from Red Sonja Movie

For those investors that are interested in RED SONJA movie financial benefit, FMLY is the stock symbol of the company that adquired the movie and other rights. See the FMLY news release dated 05/02/06.

Comment

Originally posted by DRwillieH1
              For those investors that are interested in RED SONJA movie financial benefit, FMLY is the stock symbol of the company that adquired the movie and other rights. See the FMLY news release dated 05/02/06.

Just curious, how do you know this? Did a quick check on it and it is an OTC penny stock...

Comment

Please give the part to somebody who can act.

Comment

^
                  |
                  |
                  Agreed

Comment

My vote: Jessica Biel

I liked her in Blade 3 and she could make an easy transition to red-head.

Comment

I would have to say no on Loken

Shes busy playing Painkiller Jane, and honestly she isnt that much of an actress based on what she has done so far. Sonja can only work with a strong actress at the helm.

Id almost go to say that she would work better animated, but lets hope this is at least better than the last one.

Comment

I think what would be cool is if the could do it stylized, sort of like 300. But that adds to the cost..

It is sort of hard to do a movie like this for 25 million these days. 40 million would make things a lot easier...

Lokken is just not a big enough draw for Red Sonja to work. Jessica Biel or Jessica Alba or about the only A-Listers that have the look, recognition, and acting to pull it off. Jessica Biel more of an actress, but Alba has more recognition.

25 million has me a little worried though. I mean it can be done if you really play it tight.

For instance, some action movie costs:

Aeon Flux 60 miillion (lost money)
                        Sin City 40 million
                        300 65 million
                        Tomb Raider 115 million (probably 20 million to Jolie though)
                        Bloodrayne 25 million (a complete flop)
                        Resident Evil (the original) 35 million
                        Kill Bill 30 million each
                        Underworld 25 million
                        The Illusionist (with Jessica Biel) 15 million

So it can be done, but the ones that cost less and succeed are labor of love projects, where someone had a vison and was able to run with it without much interference. Meaning it ran low enough on the radar that some studio head didn't stick his hands too far in it, which might be true of Red Sonja.

Lower budget movies never work by committee. I think beside the actress, I would be curious to know who the director would be. Has to be someone that has a stylized cool look, not someone stepping out of the USA cable network movies.

Comment

I would love to see frank miller as a director of the movie not some other person Frank Miller knows what comic books means to the fans and keeps to the Char's base,any other Director wouldn't know how to handle Red Dawn in my eyes unless there is one I have missed?hehe,so far all the comic books turned into movies haven't been good in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbead
                            I would love to see frank miller as a director of the movie not some other person Frank Miller knows what comic books means to the fans and keeps to the Char's base,any other Director wouldn't know how to handle Red Dawn in my eyes unless there is one I have missed?hehe,so far all the comic books turned into movies haven't been good in my eyes.

Frank Miller has no experience directing films. He would fail miserably. A movie is a different media entirely.

Comment

If you ask me, Alba or Biel's salary would probably take a nice chunk of money from everything else, so my suggestion? Take someone who is not a big name, but is a decent actor and looks the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X