No announcement yet.

One-shot review...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-shot review...

Well I don't like to admit that I often rush to judgement BUT....I picked up Lone Ranger and Tonto one shot and though the preview I had seen kind of put me off, I enjoyed the book.

The story was very interesting, though the writing and the artwork could have better served the story...

Our own Lone Ranger had commented on the violence, I found the violence more implied than graphic, there was a couple of panels but really nothing so terrible that I found myself disturbed.

I would have loved to see Berni Wrightson draw this story as it lent itself to something from DC's The House of Mystery.

So I give it 3.75 out of 5.

Originally posted by Ranger01
    Our own Lone Ranger had commented on the violence, I found the violence more implied than graphic, there was a couple of panels but really nothing so terrible that I found myself disturbed.
    Actually, my concern was not the violence but the gore. It was admittedly not nearly as bad as LR #2, but something that really annoys me.

I didn't think the artwork was nearly as good in this issue. I also found the general theme to be the same as the one that just finished in LR #10. The Lone Ranger and Tonto save a bad guy (or boy) from a lynch mob only to have said bad guy turn on the Ranger. I was hoping for something a little more original than that. I did enjoy having a bigger issue to read. I also liked seeing the established friendship with the storekeeper and his wife. That was a nice touch.

Picked up the issue yesterday and enjoyed much more than I thought I was going to after seeing the previews. The art was not as polished as Cariello's (I think an inker would have been helpful in this case), but it only really bothered me when we saw the Ranger's hat from underneath. Cowboy hats are usually tricky to draw anyway, and that particular angle is not flattering at all.

The general outline was similar to the previous story-arc, but it was still well executed. I liked seeing this glimpse into the future of the series. Some aspects I remember from past incarnations are showing up. The Lone Ranger and Tonto are becoming known and have established relationships with a few people. They have a camp outside of town.

The only 'out-of-character' moment I noticed was the Ranger's utterance of the word "Christ." It seemed he was using it as a swear word, which the Ranger does not do. It is possible it was the only audible portion of a prayer of sorts, but that's not how it came off.

Anyway, that's just my little nit-pick. Overall I did enjoy the issue and look forward to LR&T #2 down the road, as well as the return of the regular series. On my 1-10 rating scale, I'd give it an 8. (For reference, all the regular series issues got a 10 from me.)

MAJOR SPOILERS: Lone Ranger and Tonto #1: Review SPOILERS

MAJOR SPOILERS: Lone Ranger and Tonto #1: Review SPOILERS
        I just finished L&T1. Basically, I was pleased with it.

It was a good solid story for the most part. Despite the early info releases, it takes place a relatively short time after Tonto and the Ranger become partners. There doesn’t seem to be much of a relationship between them yet. Also, Tonto mentions the Ranger’s age as being not more than a few years older than the youth they are chasing.

Villain is a [presumably] autistic young teenager (14?) with sociopathic or psychotic violent tendencies. Sick and a monster, but one the Ranger cannot categorize as evil. Tonto and the townspeople ((and me)) disagree, but the Ranger is still young, idealistic, and naïve enough to see a damaged youth that needs protection. Even after the young murderer kills again, the Ranger will not permit him to be harmed. This is a theme that I can see continuing in some form throughout the character’s future personality—the desire to save whenever possible; perhaps even a continuing idealism. Though the reader’s own instinct might be to deride this, it did make for an interesting balance to his forceful personality and martial skills, and would suit over a long story run.

I loved watching tonto use his tracking skills however briefly. I loved the Ranger’s youthful headstrongness both in pursuing the telltale vultures to the scene of the crime, and in blowing up at the townsmen at the end of the story, as well as how he deferred to Tonto’s calming word then.

As mentioned, the story itself was pretty good. I would not have placed it so early in the series—we really need a good, old-fashioned, TRULY bad, bad guy defeated by guts and superior intelligence and teamwork for a one-shot. That’s what should have come at this point in the series, with a little distance from the somewhat similar 2nd story arc.

A major weakness to the story, however, was the ending on two points. The first was James’ demise. It was too easy. Kid off’s himself accidentally, thus eliminating any and all problems encountered in the work-up. Sorry—it was a cheap way out of a purposely raised sticky wicket. Second, there were people *dead* because the Ranger mis-read the villain. I didn’t expect breastbeating, but shouldn’t we have seen *some* indication that they—or even just the Ranger—cared? The whole standing-around-the-fire scene could have been used for a bit of dialogue and explanation: “I feel bad we were even indirectly responsible for those deaths.” Or, [Tonto]: “Let’s have a lesson on finding a balance.” Or, “Here’s WHY we need to save the boy.” Or, “But Kemo Sabay, let’s at least talk a few things through…” Or something else to bring the reader along with the emotions of the situation.

As for the artwork: I will readily admit Sergio has spoiled me for all others. The artwork was a different style than Sergios but not bad. You can still see Matthews’ involvement in the storyboarding (compare with the ‘director’s cut’ of issue one). The detail in each frame is nicely done as are the characters. I really liked Tonto riding bareback; didn’t even notice first time around. I was especially fond of the merchant and his wife in the beginning. They looked wonderful.

The art is not consistent throughout and that is a weakness. It did take me awhile to get used to the pencil style. When Guevara is at his best, it’s quite good indeed; take note of the full-page illo on page 8 (not counting the cover), with bad teenager about to bludgeon the Ranger. I would have liked to see how he handled the Ranger without a mask; would also have liked to see a bit more strength and expression in Tonto’s face. Anyway, as mentioned, the style is not as favored by me as Sergio’s is, but it’s pretty darn good work.

Would I buy it again even at a majorly hefty $5 price? Yep. And that’s probably the best review of all.

Just read it my 2 cents

The art style wasn't so bad. I do admit the gore while stylized and not overtly offensive seemed to just be an afterthought , a take or leave kinda thing. Nice to see Tonto a little more distinctive than Cassaday's and Carriello's version although I'm not crazy about the "Shaolin Tonto" look either its better than the brown on brown bland wardrobe on the covers and interior of the monthly. Don't forget Native peoples love to use color also and since we are a long way from the powder blue Jack Lalanne jumpsuit is it too much to ask for more than friar's club look.

As for the story there isn't much more that I can say that hasn't already been mentioned but I will submit that in the campfire scene John's silence and the fact that he pours Tonto's special blend out speaks volumes of the inner conflict he's facing. He doesn't have the answers but he knows that "drowning or numbing " himself won't help him find them.

And on a final note I wish Matthews and Abrams could have at least thrown a contraction or two in there for ol' Tonto. Although not as insulting as monsyllables his speech pattern is too stoic and is a bit annoying.