• Show
Clear All

• Wizard's Red Sonja Spotlight

Wizard's Dynamite Spotlight: Red Sonja #32
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Sonja gives new meaning to postpartum depression. Sonja's trip through hell is interesting to say the least.

Comment

Just from that panel, it's enough to make me terminate my purchases of Red Sonja.

Come on, Dynamite, what are you thinking?

Disgusting.

Comment

Even though issue #32 was an 'what if' type issue, I thought it was on of the better issues of Red Sonja in a while.

Comment

I actually like it quite a lot... haha, but for some different reasons :P *fangirl moment*

~ Lyuba

Comment

I thought it was necessary to show just how evil Sonja had become. That for all the death and destruction she had wrought, Sonja was better off taking her 'oath'.

But then hindsight is 20-20.

Comment

To be fair, I have only seen the one panel. I'm sure the story is one thing, but showing the scene like they did.... I don't think it was necessary. I think it shows a very sickening scene, and its just not needed. It's one thing to have it in the story, but it could be off-screen. There is no call for showing such an act.

Comment

That scene was mostly done before with the birth of the demon child, only this time it's Sonja giving birth. Surviving rather than dying then killing the demon at birth instead of later in life as she'd done originally. That aside, Sonja, Conan and indeed a lot of Howard's original stories were always brutal and violent that was the Hyborean world. Moreover, this scene should be on panel as it is too show how wrong Sonja's life could have gone. I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

Comment

was sick by scene...

When I read that panel when the demon baby was killed.... it made me sick.

It shouldn't have been shown.

Comment

I only read the preview, but I found that scene quite disturbing as well. However, Red Sonja is a pretty violent and gruesome series anyway. I read the first trade, but it's not really my kind of comic, so I won't debate the should've/shouldn't have been shown. I'll just stick to the classic (pre-1960s) characters I read regularly.
                    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM.
                    DECODER RING THEATRE
                    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
                      That scene was mostly done before with the birth of the demon child, only this time it's Sonja giving birth. Surviving rather than dying then killing the demon at birth instead of later in life as she'd done originally. That aside, Sonja, Conan and indeed a lot of Howard's original stories were always brutal and violent that was the Hyborean world. Moreover, this scene should be on panel as it is too show how wrong Sonja's life could have gone. I enjoyed the story quite a bit.

They have always been brutal. On the other hand, it never degenerated into that kind of imagery. I saw the same thing to a lesser degree in Savage Tales recently, but that was not involving a child, demon or otherwise. That's a line that should not be crossed. This is still a comic book. The same story can easily be told without showing it so graphically. They've been telling violent tales in the REH world for years without showing that kind of thing. But the world has grown so desensitized that it just accepts anything nowadays. But there is such a thing as class, and Red Sonja used to have it, even in a savage world. But dismemberment shown so graphically, is just not needed.

Comment

We'll just have to disagree here. The story doesn't shock me nearly so much, because I don't hold children any more sacred than any other life. I am quite content that the publishers not dance away from imaginary lines. Especially those of "What of the children" kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
                          We'll just have to disagree here. The story doesn't shock me nearly so much, because I don't hold children any more sacred than any other life. I am quite content that the publishers not dance away from imaginary lines. Especially those of "What of the children" kind.
                          Well, I finally read the issue. Story is fine, except I find it improbable that she'd end up that evil, personally, just because she DIDN'T get raped, etc.

It's an interesting "What if?" concept, but I think it fails more on the side of her becoming evil than even what happens in the story. The scene was not as bad taken in context, but it still could have been shown another way, in my opinion.

I don't hate the issue, but I have 'issue' with it... if that makes any sense....

Ken

Comment

She became evil because she picked up that amulet from one of the killers. That probably had something to do with it, cuz that thing sure looked evil to me...eeeeevillll!

Comment

I liked the issue overall. And THE scene did not shock me either. Because suddenly there is a controversy about it, but why? Because Sonja kills the demon-child that otherwise would kill here? And that's NOT ok to show? But it is OK to show how the same demon child kills his mother in issue 13 (or whichever issue it was)? It's like saying that the life of a mother is not important enough, that she has to birth the child that has all intentions of killing her. I'm not ok with that because I think that mother's life is just as important as the child's.

But I must admit, the scene does not bother me because it was a DEMON child, if it was a regular baby, I would be bothered big time. Sonja survived once again, even after something like this. Because it bound to scare her, I mean, childbirth is scary thing as it is - but suddenly here you have this demon inside of her, trying to kill her. In fact, I think she acted extremely well in the situation, being able to think clear and straight even while birthing a child.

~ Lyuba

Comment

Working...
                              X