Why no Red Sonja videogame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no Red Sonja videogame?

Ok, I already kind of know why there is no Red Sonja videogame, but it does not stop me wishing that there was one.

She would be the perfect character for a hack and slash style game with a bunch of rpg elements thrown in.

Problems include, but are not limited to: not a huge character to non comic fans, unlike say Conan; hack and slash game genre is a bit limited in terms of fanbase in todays gaming market; not many developers put out half decent games in this genre anymore; no big name developers would look twice at this.

I imagine when, or if, the movie does ever arrive we may get one of those god-awful movie tie in games, knocked out by the cheapest and worst gaming devs there is, and that will seal her gaming fate for all time.

Ah well, I can dream...

Part of the reason seems to be the male gender-status of most gamers. If you want to play a Red Sonja game, chances are that you'll be playing...Red Sonja. Some gamers, insecure though they may be, would be uncomfortable playing a smokin' hot female character.

Off of the top of my head, I can't think of a single successful video game that featured a female action character as the sole lead. (There have been female leads in horror titles and they've been successful. But Catwoman, as an example, stunk up the place.)

All of this could change if the RS movie is a hit.

Comment

well acording to this you tube video some has her in the game of Soul Calibur 4

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGOtzYd2aU
      ________
      Handjob College
      Last edited by blake6060; 03-17-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarsNeedsBowlers
        Part of the reason seems to be the male gender-status of most gamers. If you want to play a Red Sonja game, chances are that you'll be playing...Red Sonja. Some gamers, insecure though they may be, would be uncomfortable playing a smokin' hot female character.

Off of the top of my head, I can't think of a single successful video game that featured a female action character as the sole lead. (There have been female leads in horror titles and they've been successful. But Catwoman, as an example, stunk up the place.)

At least she doesn't like men. That ought to count for something, LOL!

Nothing wrong with playing a character of the opposite gender. In a GAME what's the difference? Try something different, it's a game.

I've played female characters, and it's a lot of fun. I also play male characters and have just as much fun. I don't care, I am not the character. But playing parts of different characters can really help you become a better writer if you want to be a writer, that's for certain.

Ken

Comment

i rember at this years comic con rose was asked a question about having a video game and she replied i hope so so i dont think there are eney development plans know
          ________
          Hot box vaporizers
          Last edited by blake6060; 03-17-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blake6060
            well acording to this you tube video some has her in the game of Soul Calibur 4

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGOtzYd2aU
            Soul Calibur 4 has a "make your own character" option in it. So, someone must have made their own "Red Sonja", she's not actually in the game. (they did an awesome job though!)

Comment

Originally posted by MarsNeedsBowlers

The best example I can think of...Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider games. Those games (the early ones) were awesome and extremely popular.

Here are some others....might not be the greatest games or characters ever, but all female characters, and these in particular are all redheads!

Perfect Dark (Joanna Dark)

Golden Axe (2008) (too bad this one got bad reviews, cause it looked promising.)

Heavenly Sword (2007)

Drakan, The Ancient Gates (2002) (This is one of my all time favorite games.)

BloodRayne

Comment

Really are tons of games with female leads that are stupidly successful, I just dont ever see Red Sonja making it, sadly ; ;

Comment

Working...
                X