Clear All

• April 2009 Solicitations!

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...amiteapril.htm

The April 2009 solicitations are up! Including:

Masquerade #3
    Zorro #14
    Lone Ranger Vol. 3 HC
    BSG: Cylon War #4 & Final Five #2

plus... Leah Moore & John Reppion tackle Bram Stoker's Dracula!

and much, much more!
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

I'm a bit frustrated. First Marvel has raised prices on books I like to $4/issue causing me to drop them. Now Dynamite is doing the same thing. The PSU books have jumped from $3 to $3.50 & now to $4 in 6 months! When DC & Top Cow raise their prices I guess it will time for me to walk away from comics altogether.

Comment

More and more it appears $3.99 is going to be the new price-point for comics. It's only a matter of time before DC follows suit. Diamond's new thresholds are not going to help matters any. Not enough people will stop buying comics to make the prices go back down. They'll complain to no end, but they'll still pay it. I remember $0.65. With $5 I could get 7 comics. Now I can get 1...
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

This is getting friggen stupid, $4 for a damn comic book, it truley is an adults market now as kids could never afford that for their favorite hero's titles, this is just crap! Since I have a well paying job I can afford singles or TPB's if need be, but $4 is a slap in the face to fans of comics. Hell I felt this way at $3, it's getting worse!
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I don't really know the economic facts behind the industry, but I know that no publisher would put up their cover prices right now simply to make more money. Marvel have gone to $3.99 for a reason, and that is simply that their basic costs are increasing. Every year, employees are going to be asking for a pay increase. Paper costs increase, ink costs increase, transport costs increase... eventually there comes a time when the publisher cannot absorb those extra costs any longer without regularly losing money.

It sucks, but right now I'm paying more for everything than I was two years ago, so I'm not surprised comics have followed suit. I think it looks worse for Marvel because they've held out at $2.99 for a lot longer than they could have done, so rather than stagger the increase to $3.50 and then $3.99 some time later, they've done it in one swoop and that makes it seem all the more painful.

Red Sonja is still listed at $2.99

Comment

Whatever reasons the publishers have, the buyers also have reasons to not buy comics anymore: there is no money to buy them. So what. There is no excuse in selling expensive comics because of good reasons. In the end both ends of the market will suffer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980
              This is getting friggen stupid, $4 for a damn comic book, it truley is an adults market now as kids could never afford that for their favorite hero's titles, this is just crap! Since I have a well paying job I can afford singles or TPB's if need be, but $4 is a slap in the face to fans of comics. Hell I felt this way at $3, it's getting worse!

I might have to drop a title (and it might have to be a spin-off from Project SuperPowers) from this company. Mad as hell the BOYS went up in price.

Comment

That is exactly the way it goes. People are earning the same money as always, but they can't buy as much as before, because prices get higher. If people spend 50 $ a month for comics, they will do it again next month. They will not spend 70 $, because prices got higher, they will buy less comics! I don't understand why publishers never get this idea! So, if they will not spend more money, they cancel some books. So, publishers will publish less comics and earn less money than before. Readers and industry are the losers of this game, both of them.

Comment

It's nothing to do with publishers "never getting this idea", they're not raising prices for the fun of it. If something retails at $3 and costs, say, $2.50 to produce, that's fine. If that same item then suddenly costs $3 to produce because suppliers increase their prices, what's the publisher to do? Hold the price at $3 and make zero profit, or increase the price to ensure the company continues to make money? No publisher in their right mind is going to hike prices unless it's absolutely the last possible resort. IDW's line has been $3.99 for a good while now but their Angel series is still shifting well over 30k.

Comment

I am not very good in sales business, so I don't have any numbers. But I do know that I am buying comics for the price printed on the cover of the issues. And my comic dealer earns money while selling them to me. He bought them from ... ? I don't know. But wherever, they earn money with the issues, too. They bought them from the publishers I think and the publishers earn money, too. When I buy comics for more than 30 $ a month I get the shipping for free. So what? My comic dealer still earns money when he gives me the issues and pays the shipping costs. So, how many cents do the publishers earn with each issue? 30? 40? 5? 3? However, they will earn a lot less in harder times, but they can afford it! If they earn only 3 cents per issue, and it was good, they will have to be satisfied with 2 cents per issue, because we have hard times. For them and for the readers, too. I have to care for my outcome as must publishers. Let's care together. So what, again? This will not work in every business and I don't know if it works for comics industry. But if there is a way to see it as I said in comics business, it would be very fine. Because it seems not to work with eggs, bread and butter. These are more expensive, too. But I MUST have these things and cannot save the money instead. If comics are not affordable anymore, I MUST save the money. That is a fact and it is a tragic fact for the industry. So please, comics industry, give me a little sign, so I won't save my money by not buying comics, if I can be sure they care for their prices. That sounds not realistic in sales business philosophy but it is a good way to stop the descent of a comic book industry which sounds good in my philosophy.

Comment

I am confident that the current increase in comic prices is not driven purely by greed, but there is precedent for that in the past. Ron O. Perelman, not the actor that portrayed Hellboy but certainly no angel in the industry, led Marvel to unprecedented heights in the early 90s and to bankruptcy in the late 90s and part of his strategy was to increase comic book prices at a rate that was significantly higher than either inflation in general or inflation in cost of production of the books. Perelman was not the first to lead Marvel unadvisedly so nor was he the last, but he was probably the best at it.

Chuck Rozanski has an interesting article over at Mile High in the Tales of the Database about how Perelman led Marvel and less directly the entire comics industry to the brink of collapse.

Link: http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg37.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo
                        I am confident that the current increase in comic prices is not driven purely by greed, but there is precedent for that in the past. Ron O. Perelman, not the actor that portrayed Hellboy but certainly no angel in the industry, led Marvel to unprecedented heights in the early 90s and to bankruptcy in the late 90s and part of his strategy was to increase comic book prices at a rate that was significantly higher than either inflation in general or inflation in cost of production of the books. Perelman was not the first to lead Marvel unadvisedly so nor was he the last, but he was probably the best at it.

Chuck Rozanski has an interesting article over at Mile High in the Tales of the Database about how Perelman led Marvel and less directly the entire comics industry to the brink of collapse.

Link: http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg37.html
                        Interesting link, thanks!! I am sure it's a mix of covering costs and making profit, there is some greed mixed in there
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                        X