I know I'm probably alone here, but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ezwind72
    started a topic I know I'm probably alone here, but...

I know I'm probably alone here, but...

I have to be perfectly honest when I say, I have really enjoyed the last few issues of Red Sonja! I know people were mad at how things went down with her "death" and rebirth, but the story seems to really be picking up and the art is fantastic! I realize that most of you don't feel the same way as me but there has to be at least one or 2 people out there that like it, right? Or am I truly alone??

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Red Bryan View Post
    Me, too. With a big BUT in it! The thing is, that every reader wants to have the old Sonja back, including me. I really enjoyed all the issues after her death, but it is clear, that only the old Sonja is the real McCoy and there will not be rest until she is back in her chain mail bikini and in her barbaric behaviour. So why all this? Only to get rid of her former origin? That would not have to be told in more than a year. Above all that I liked all the issues since issue 1, and that is not changing. But I have feared for the future of the series the whole year because I think many readers left the ship.
    Add me to the list. The new Sonja is not the one we have come to know and love, nor is she in harmony with the Marvel version. For all her faults, Sonja was a woman of the people, cared for the 'little guys', and took their cause. If they really needed (as opposed to merely wanted) to do the death and rebirth thing, they should have picked someone more in tune with the classic Sonja. Not even good storytelling and artwork make up for a bad premise.

I agree with # 15 being blasphemey. The real Sonja would have never banged the guy, 'god' or not. That just cheapened her and denied what she has lived for since '72.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah i get the impression that shes no longer at the top of their priority list anymore. I think by the time The Boys came over from wildstorm her time at the top was already over.

At least shes not like Painkiller Jane. That book seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I continue to read and enjoy RS but wonder, too, if DE still cares. If it was changed to RED SONJA, SUPER ZOMBIE we'd probably see more publisher interest.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Lady Sonja also proves herself in the latest issue to be a bit cold-hearted.

Considering she destroyed all of Stygia to get the ocean god to rise again. She also didn't seem to perturbed by the state of things.

But then she's an aristocrat, so her indifference to the sufferings of a bunch of lowly foreigners is beneath her.

I like that change, as well. It shows a definite change in characterisation.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by estee
    What I like about this new direction is that Sonja has become something more profound since her 'death'.

She is now along the lines of a prophet or saviour to the people. Now that silly chain mail bikini actually serves a purpose in that it helps identify the new Sonja.

But Lady Sonja is herself not entirely beholden to her destiny, she still has her own obligations and purpose in her life. I really like that.
    Couldnt agree with you more. I think they freed up the character a bit more and made her a bit more dynamic.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I stopped buying after #30, I think. I stopped reading after #21 or so... I'm the old school and prefer Marvel's Red Sonja with Conan. Did not like DE's handling of RS. I tried to hang on until #30 in the hopes things might change but they got worse. On the other hand, Dark Horse has done a terrific job with Conan, so far!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Simon Bowland
    Does that really matter, as long as the book is shipping every single month on a consistent basis (and has been for over a year now)? With a consistent creative team?
    Yes. 42 is out now but it should have been out in jan. I doubt another issue is coming out this month

41 came out last month when it should have come out in december

A series running behind by more than a month is never good, and considering Sonja wasnt missing her dates for quite a while up untill recently, it worreis me a bit.

Combine that with the fact that DE seems more interested in its other titles now, is a bit disconcerting for some fans id imagine, since this book used to be the flagship title.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What I like about this new direction is that Sonja has become something more profound since her 'death'.

She is now along the lines of a prophet or saviour to the people. Now that silly chain mail bikini actually serves a purpose in that it helps identify the new Sonja.

But Lady Sonja is herself not entirely beholden to her destiny, she still has her own obligations and purpose in her life. I really like that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Does that really matter, as long as the book is shipping every single month on a consistent basis (and has been for over a year now)? With a consistent creative team?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How is it not late if issue 44 should have come out this month.

It was in the Jan solicits for March.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mendoza
    I would be more concerned that shes shipping late again. I dont want to go back to the bad old days of her early issues.
    The book isn't shipping late? There's been one issue every single month since at least issue #30.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I dont see all the hate for the new sonja stuff.

I would be more concerned that shes shipping late again. I dont want to go back to the bad old days of her early issues.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Red Bryan
    I think many readers left the ship.
    I left the ship not long after the blasphemy of Issue 15.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Me, too. With a big BUT in it! The thing is, that every reader wants to have the old Sonja back, including me. I really enjoyed all the issues after her death, but it is clear, that only the old Sonja is the real McCoy and there will not be rest until she is back in her chain mail bikini and in her barbaric behaviour. So why all this? Only to get rid of her former origin? That would not have to be told in more than a year. Above all that I liked all the issues since issue 1, and that is not changing. But I have feared for the future of the series the whole year because I think many readers left the ship.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X