Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you could just say "miscellaneous" or something. Anything is better than "Bad Girls"--which is genuinely offensive and makes it sound as if the only point to the characters (Sonja and the others) is to be cheesecake.

The other thread (started by someone else) on which Tony's post was is gone now, but as I said there, it's about the same as lumping John Carter and Tarzan together as "Bad Boys" because they are beefcakey.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      Yes, you could just say "miscellaneous" or something. Anything is better than "Bad Girls"--which is genuinely offensive and makes it sound as if the only point to the characters (Sonja and the others) is to be cheesecake.
      That is my main concern.

The other thread (started by someone else) on which Tony's post was is gone now, but as I said there, it's about the same as lumping John Carter and Tarzan together as "Bad Boys" because they are beefcakey.
      Gone? Ah, that explains it. I guess constructive criticism is not welcome.

Comment

Personally I think the forums are fine and people are overreacting over such a stupid thing. "Bad Girls" could mean more than what you're implying, sort of like "Bad Boys", it's just a tag and I see nothing wrong with it nor do I find it offensive. It's not like the admin used sexual slang or something to portray the characters as sluts or anything. "Bag Girls" could mean that the girls are to be reckoned with or something, loosen up for crying out loud. LoL.

#Silly.

Comment

Really? Out minds havent evolved so far as to see past something as dumb as a forum name? Have we been sheltered all out lives? I am happy with the boards here on dynamite and see no reason that the names dont fit the protocall, im totally happy with it. Dont frett over something so trivial.

Comment

Actually if John Carter and Tarzan were lumped together it would make perfect sense as both were Borroughs creations. That being said. . . Some books are easier to consolidate than others, you have the GH, Shadow, Zorro type golden age heroes which fit together. You have the borroughs characters. . . and then the rest get harder to do.

Taking Pantha, Vampirella, Red Sonja, Jungle Girl and making a forum for comics with female heroes/antiheroes as the main/titular character makes perfect sense.

Again my argument is predicated on this being about how to group the characters (a topic on which I have made my opinions known) but if we are really just arguing about titles. . . that seems a little pointless.

Comment

By the way, in terms of what "bad girl" usually brings to mind, here's some info from Wikipedia which shows that this is really not something Dynamite would want to paint itself with. Further down there is even a reference to Dynamite, actually, specifically about how it has been distancing itself from the whole "bad girl" approach:

Many former Bad Girl characters were now being written in a new character driven style. Dynamite Entertainment began to publish Red Sonja focusing on character and using T&A poses only in joke. ... Also notable is the original Bad Girl, Vampirella. While she still keeps the costume, writer Mike Carey and artist Mike Lily put little to no focus on it as they attempt to rework her into an introspective character.
              Perhaps we should ask the female posters and female creators of Dynamite what they think...
              Last edited by ChastMastr; 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

So you are fine with keeping them together if the name were switched to say "Dynamite's Leading Ladies" or some other phrase?

Also, hate to nitpcik but why are Flash Gordon and Phantom in different places?

Comment

Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
                  So you are fine with keeping them together if the name were switched to say "Dynamite's Leading Ladies" or some other phrase?
                  That would be vastly better, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post

Also, hate to nitpcik but why are Flash Gordon and Phantom in different places?
                    I think Flash Gordon was once a pulp and The Phantom wasn't, but I could be mistaken on that. I honestly hope CF1980 does NOT change the girls section since I find the term to be fitting for the "bad ass" characters that the females of Dynamite represent, taking offense to that is just plain silly, as is quoting something like Wikipedia knowing that anyone can edit it at any given time.

Comment

1. The overall scope is that the forum title isn't bad, it's only really offending one person and doesn't paint the females of Dynamite in any kind of a pale light. So get over it and move on.

2. As for the category of the groupings, I may go back in over the next day or two and change some of the groupings around. This may take some time to get perfect, but in the end it will be just fine. I do want to keep the true pulp characters with the other pulp characters though, also I want to keep Project Superpowers and Kirby together within it's own universe forum. Either which way, it'll all make sense in the end.

3. I may make a forum for titles that aren't being published anymore, kind of a "Dynamite Graveyard" if you will. But I don't want to have a series come out of "retirement" and then have to move all of it's posts to another forum, so I may just keep the general board for that.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Yeah I get keeping PSP in a different place from the other golden age characters. My main concern was with Lone Ranger and Phantom because Lone Ranger has such strong ties to Green Hornet and Zorro and because if Phantom and Flash gordon are separate then what will happen when the eventual Defenders of the Earth crossover happens?

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                          I think Flash Gordon was once a pulp and The Phantom wasn't, but I could be mistaken on that.
                          There was a one-shot pulp magazine called Flash Gordon Strange Adventure Magazine. It wasn't written by Alex Raymond (or Don Moore, the writer on the strip), and is generally considered to be inconsistant enough with the strip continuity to be non-canon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash_gordoncomic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	48620

Both The Phantom and Flash Gordon appeared in paperback series of novelizations of the strip continuities from Avon Books in the 1970s. The Flash Gordon series ran six novels, most of which were adapted by Ron Goulart (the last two were by Carson Bingham) from the later strip continuities by Dan Barry (despite the cover byline stating "Alex Raymond's original story"). Ron Goulart later wrote a series of novelizations (6) based on the Warren-era Vampirella stories. The Phantom paperbacks ran to #15, five of which were actually written by Lee Falk, with the others adapted from his strip stories by various other writers. Cover art was by George Wilson, who had previously distinguished himself as the main cover artist on Gold Key's adventure titles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	n12350.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	48621Click image for larger version

Name:	PHANTOM_Avon_NOVEL.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	48622
                          Last edited by positronic; 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                            1. The overall scope is that the forum title isn't bad, it's only really offending one person and doesn't paint the females of Dynamite in any kind of a pale light. So get over it and move on.
                            Since I do seem to be the only one who thinks this is a mistake, well, I've said my piece. Well, back to posting about Tarzan and such...

Comment

Some changes have been made on the forums today. I've merged The Boys forum in with the misc DE titles forum due to low activity since the book ended a while back, and I've also changed some of the forum descriptions to reflect changes in titles offered by Dynamite. Also, quite a few new forum sign up's have been approved the past day or so and I hope to see more fans posting on the forums soon.

If you don't follow Dynamite on Facebook and Twitter than head to Twitter.com/dynamitecomics and Facebook.com/dynamitecomics today!
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by John Reppion View Post
                                I try to get on here as much as possible and Leah and I are always happy to answer any questions. Ask away.
                                John, you and Leah make a great writing team.

Any chance you two would take on a hero or two from PROJECT SUPERPOWERS??
                                Many of us would really welcome a well-written book with some of those heroes returning.

Might I suggest you look at PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #6.... with MAGNO, LASH LIGHTNING, LIGHTING GIRL, MR. RAVEN, VULCAN, ....etc. ....an interesting group idea....

or ANY of the PSP hero you might be interested in doing.

Thanks for the consideration. It would be great to see some of those heroes return with great writing that you two could provide.
                                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-06-2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X