No announcement yet.

All Hail Queen Sonja!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, watching her hack up a bunch of dudes while wearing a chainmail bikini, why else are we reading Red Sonja

Although i'll admit, that does get a bit old at times. She needs a bit more range in what she does, but at least the fighting sequences look awesomely brutal.

Man, she better not cover herself up like that pic of her being a queen, else i'd be sorely disappointed

Comment

All we need to do is look back at the old Marvel era Sonja tales to see what is possible in telling her story. Some were mass slaughter, some were mystery solving to make Sam Spade proud, some were special operations to make 007 jealous, some were just plain heart-warming, and the listing could go on. In all, she was a dynamic, complex, and very human, woman dealing with the situation in hand. That is Red Sonja. The D/E version seems a pale imitation in comparison, as though she is just an idea to be played with, not a person.

I agree with those who feel that the 'rebirth' was badly done. Even allowing for the premise (which I personally do not), Red Sonja would know who she is from the get-go and act accordingly right out of the gate.

The only way I can see her as Queen is during her later years (There is a Marvel era story that shows her ~50, btw) when she knows she is getting too old for the adventuring thing and sees this as the way she can best serve her people.

Comment

*spoilers galore*

I took the plunge, got impatient in waiting for the new Queen Sonja and ended up buying the last few issues leading up to 50 to see how things were. Got em on discount which i was quite elated... then soon realized why...

Ninjas.... you gotta be frigging kidding me. Spy vs Spy style black and white FEMALE ninjas. I mean damn... talk about getting desperate for ideas. Even i got a chuckle when Osin was like, "well golly gee, look at that, we got an army now."

Sonja = Blood Dynasty, whatever that means, i guess it means unstoppable killing machine.

Then i'm all confused on whether these are ghost ninjas or real ninjas, i mean them being the spirits of the ninjas who fought in that never ending cycle would make some sense. No need for food, water, or shelter since they're spirits... but then all of a sudden their all white eyeballs gained pupils and they become "real" people who can bleed and die all of a sudden. But hey, i'm nitpicking too hard so i'll let that pass.

The bad guy, also manages to BS himself up an army. Starting with a dinky little pirate crew and all of a sudden building up into a massive army. I rather liked the scene where he shanghaied all those poor bastards during his march, and felt pretty damn bad for them since they're all gonna be ninja fodder pretty soon. Not fair for only Sonja to have an army ya know

Sonja's old goddess is at the end destination. She's basically turned into an old hag hellbent on revenge on Sonja, empowers bad guy, bad guy gets pwned in two pages by Red Sonja. I mean, talk about cutting a story short. No epic battle, no great monologues, just Red Sonja showing up and whooping ass in short order. The only good that came from this situation that i can is that all those poor townsmen who got pressed into service get to go home. So yay nameless redshirts!

So now that the whole Blood Dynasty, goddess oath business thing is null and void, i wonder what will happen tween Osin and Sonja. I mean this poor guy has carried a torch for her for like 4 decades. Now that she doesnt need to follow the whole "cant touch me until you best me" angle, can something blossom between the two now that they're back together? Osin obviously cant outfight her now or ever, but he's also old enough to be her daddy. So the only course of action i see remaining for him is to die early in the next issue so that Sonja can travel alone, no baggage, and very very angry (as we have seen in the previews), in her path to become queen.

The art was awesome as expected (during Homs tenure it really didnt catch my interest at all), but this story has been... eh... i just really hope that Queen Sonja has some better ideas going for it.

Comment

Sort of reminds you of the discussion in the 'Art or Story' thread, doesn't it?

Don't get me started on that abomination in issue 15. The real Red would never think of such a thing, let alone do it.

Ninjas? Have they forgotten we are dealing with the Hyborean Age here? Why do I have a feeling we have some desperate folks scrambling like headless chickens for something that may save them?

Let's hope they get a writer that actually knows how to write a decent story, because if what we have been getting lately is a hint of things to come, her Majesty may well be in for a short reign. That would be really sad, because there is great potential, even in the altered Sonja, for some superb stories if they do it right. All this could well be an object lesson in what happens when you deviate, especially seriously, from the established character and story line of someone who may well have been around before they were.

Comment

Hear you loud and clear

Hey guys,

hear you loud and clear. Basically feel like I took my eye off the ball with Reed because I was doing my first year of law school last year and got consumed - basically put the series on autopilot and let Dynamite and Reed do their thing. I am not crazy about the rebirth line either honestly.

That said I have gotten very involved in the process again with the Queen Sonja relaunch - my mandate to the publisher and creatives is to bring it back to basics, sword and sandal and low fantasy, character over contrivance, storytelling over 200ft monsters - I wont approve it otherwise. Ortega has done some solid work with the first arc on QS so as it stands now I am happy with the direction - also getting Mel back on the book is huge.

I saw on another thread something about the sales - they have fallen because of a couple things - partly because the rebirth arc was weaker, but also because sales for the entire industry have contracted - consumer spending in general is at it lowest in decades - its a recession.

That said we got a bump with Queen Sonja and from there we are just going to have to earn the readership with solid story - the old fashioned way.

When we first relaunched Sonja a few years ago there were alot of doubters - people who did not think we could make the book a success. I said - if we build it they will come - just have to put out quality product and the readers will find it. We started out doing exactly that. I still believe in the ethos - I take some of the blame for any backslide - Queen Sonja will be a return to high quality - period!

- Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Lieberman View Post
              Hey guys,

hear you loud and clear. Basically feel like I took my eye off the ball with Reed because I was doing my first year of law school last year and got consumed - basically put the series on autopilot and let Dynamite and Reed do their thing. I am not crazy about the rebirth line either honestly.

That said I have gotten very involved in the process again with the Queen Sonja relaunch - my mandate to the publisher and creatives is to bring it back to basics, sword and sandal and low fantasy, character over contrivance, storytelling over 200ft monsters - I wont approve it otherwise. Ortega has done some solid work with the first arc on QS so as it stands now I am happy with the direction - also getting Mel back on the book is huge.

I saw on another thread something about the sales - they have fallen because of a couple things - partly because the rebirth arc was weaker, but also because sales for the entire industry have contracted - consumer spending in general is at it lowest in decades - its a recession.

That said we got a bump with Queen Sonja and from there we are just going to have to earn the readership with solid story - the old fashioned way.

When we first relaunched Sonja a few years ago there were alot of doubters - people who did not think we could make the book a success. I said - if we build it they will come - just have to put out quality product and the readers will find it. We started out doing exactly that. I still believe in the ethos - I take some of the blame for any backslide - Queen Sonja will be a return to high quality - period!

- Luke
              So far so good, I really liked the first Issue of Queen Sonja.

Comment

After searching three stores (one of which did not even know the mag was out!) in two states, have finally found QS1. So far, so good; the Sonja in it being rather like the Marvel one and the art quality splendid. Not happy with the bath in the river scene though, as it had nothing to do with the story and was likely put in solely as a sop to the 'we want to see naked women' crowd. Not a good idea as it only cheapens things.

Am happy to see Luke is intending to get things back onto basics. They should have been there from the beginning, per my prior comments. Am hoping for the best.

A suggestion, bring back the old tales. A lot of them have already been reprinted by D/E, and a fine job was done. I suspect many, if not most, of the new readers have no idea of what was done before, and the Marvel books are getting harder to find, from age if nothing else. There were some grand RS stories (and single page art in Savage Sword) done then, and they should really be available again for everyone to enjoy. If a story had lackluster art, then turn the new Sonja artists loose to do their magic. D/E's "Savage Tales of Red Sonja" might be a good vehicle, as the first issue has already done some fine reprinting of the D/E stories.

Comment

Working...
                X