Lone Ranger #18 and #19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Ranger #18 and #19

Awesome cover art for #19, but what about #18?

Found the cover art for #18. Still no art for Lone Ranger & Tonto #3, though.

DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Thanks Mikey! I like both covers, but #19 is best of the two.

Comment

I just breezed through #18 last night. That was my biggest problem with it -- breezing through. It's a good story, but could be told just as effectively in half the space. That would leave room for more story. Zorro takes me almost three times as long to read.
        That being said, The Ranger and Linda's relationship seem to be headed in an interesting direction. We're finally seeing the Ranger become more of the man we know and want him to be. I'm really looking forward to #19.

Comment

Any word on when #19 comes out? I'm anxious to get back to a good version of our beloved heroes.

Comment

Lone Ranger #19 on sale Wednesday! Here are some preview pages:

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=...886&disp=table
            DECODER RING THEATRE
            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
            PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
            PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I just read Lone Ranger #19 and reviewed it for Weekly Comic Book Review (no spoilers). I enjoyed it very much and actually noticed the same bit about breezing through. I take the point that the story could be told in half the space, but after listening to Rybandt's podcast interview with Brett Matthews, I started watching western movies (something I'd never done before) and one thing I noticed right away is the pacing. It is a lot slower. Without technology, nothing moves faster than a horse and the storytelling style matches. So I think it might be an intentional thing on the part of the writer and artist to do that. That being said, if modern readers start noting the pacing as a flaw, they might have to reexamine their creative choices. On the developments between the Lone Ranger and Linda, you definitely have to read #19!
              DS

Comment

Read it and liked it, although I thought the last page was a bit too out of the blue. The "tension", as we've seen it, has been between her and the Ranger. So the moment with Tonto just seemed a bit too much of a "this'll surprise 'em" kind of thing.

Comment

I have to say I didn't see that one coming!

Comment

Hey jsf,

I don't know if this was just a "this will surprise them" thing. I suspect this is more of Matthews' deliberate departure from the past and trying to break new, modern ground with an established hero concept. Within the context of that story, a white woman falling for a native would be pretty astounding (not that it didn't happen). I think this event is least expected (therefore good drama) and opens up a range of potential racism/love triangle conflicts that Matthews can use for future issues. I think it made good strategic sense, but I didn't see it comig either and was totally surprised.

DS
                    Reviewer
                    www.weeklycomicbookreview.com

Comment

Originally posted by DS Arsenault View Post
                      Hey jsf,

I don't know if this was just a "this will surprise them" thing. I suspect this is more of Matthews' deliberate departure from the past and trying to break new, modern ground with an established hero concept. Within the context of that story, a white woman falling for a native would be pretty astounding (not that it didn't happen). I think this event is least expected (therefore good drama) and opens up a range of potential racism/love triangle conflicts that Matthews can use for future issues. I think it made good strategic sense, but I didn't see it comig either and was totally surprised.

DS
                      Reviewer
                      www.weeklycomicbookreview.com
                      No doubt it opens up potential stories/avenues for the characters ... it just seemed to be such a departure from what we've seen so far. If there were indications (say, random scenes indicating her attraction to Tonto), I think I would've been just as surprised, but not taken out of the story by it. It just seemed TOO big a swerve.

I'll have to recheck previous issues now, though, to see if there were hints of this. It may be nothing more than the delays between issues leading to me forget things I'd noted, or overlook stuff.

Comment

One thing that was totally out of place was that machine Cavendish was driving. What was that all about?

Comment

Ranger, it is a Winan steam gun and accurate to the period, so your definition of out of place and mine obviously differ. A strange bit of machinery to be sure, but history is often even more interesting than fiction. I'm merely extrapolating from an existing artifact used -- depending on which account you read -- in the War.

JSF, the last page is something I've been planning from issue one, and if you look back throughout the series you'll find hints here and there -- why is Tonto never in his own house at night, for instance? I admit it's been fun, watching people get up in arms about the Ranger-Linda thing over the past year or so.

To me, it felt emotionally true from every side of the triangle, which is what I liked about it. You'll get some of these various perspectives in the next issue.

Comment

Wow, I stand corrected. I have never heard of Winans steam gun before. On that note, I'm glad you used it.
                            I have to know, though, why the Ranger took his mask off. Was he finally making his move on Linda? Or is this something we'll be seeing more often?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthews View Post
                              JSF, the last page is something I've been planning from issue one, and if you look back throughout the series you'll find hints here and there -- why is Tonto never in his own house at night, for instance? I admit it's been fun, watching people get up in arms about the Ranger-Linda thing over the past year or so.

To me, it felt emotionally true from every side of the triangle, which is what I liked about it. You'll get some of these various perspectives in the next issue.
                              Cool. I'll go back and take a look. I was interested in reviewing the different dinner scenes, to see if there was anything in terms of positioning, faces, etc. But I was still surprised.

Nevertheless, this is one of the best things on the market.

Comment

Working...
                              X