No announcement yet.

Lone Ranger #18 and #19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger, The Lone Ranger has/does take his mask off a couple times during the series for the simple reason that so much of what this book is about is the man beneath. I've always said this series is as much -- or even more -- a John Reid story as it is a Lone Ranger story. He's still learning to leave those things from his old life behind, in some respects. And very practically, the man would have to take off his mask from time to time, and this version wouldn't balk to do it in front of those three or four people in the world he considers family. Also, it can help the art from time to time, depending on the emotional content of a scene. In this specific issue -- 19 -- he does it to comfort Dan in the throes of his nightmare -- and thereby letting the boy in on the legacy he is to become a part of/pass on -- and then simply doesn't replace it, because the conversation he's about to have in the mine is so emotionally charged. I wanted to see those things play out on his face and for the character to be a little more vulnerable, which taking off the mask immediately does.

JSF, I hope you find what you're looking for. I always thought the reality of John-Linda ever actually being together would be completely wrong for the character, but at the same time, it would be insincere for him not to have those feelings -- that just plain rings false to me. He's confused, he doesn't know quite what to do with it, she's beautiful. That makes sense from his perspective, though a culmination of the relationship does not. Tonto on the other hand was the perfect fit for me and made complete sense for both characters. John's a bit blind to it and only seeing what he wants to, as is human in such instances.

As always, thanks to you both and all on this forum for their continued support of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthews View Post

JSF, I hope you find what you're looking for. I always thought the reality of John-Linda ever actually being together would be completely wrong for the character, but at the same time, it would be insincere for him not to have those feelings -- that just plain rings false to me. He's confused, he doesn't know quite what to do with it, she's beautiful. That makes sense from his perspective, though a culmination of the relationship does not. Tonto on the other hand was the perfect fit for me and made complete sense for both characters. John's a bit blind to it and only seeing what he wants to, as is human in such instances.

As always, thanks to you both and all on this forum for their continued support of the book.
      I think I pretty much agree with what you've said about the John-Linda thing -- I think that's why the Linda-Tonto attraction seemed so surprising. I figured she'd be just as confused about all of this as John (after all she lost her husband in a pretty horrible way), and want to sort through her feelings. I just didn't see that sorting process as involving Tonto.

Anyways, thanks for posting. It's rare that creators do that, and understandably so, given some of the ugliness that gets directed their way sometimes.

Comment

Just got the issue. Very good, as usual. Looking at the last panel, Tonto looks just as surprised as the readers. It makes me wonder - is there a relationship there, or is she doing it to get a reaction from John? It could go either way at this point, as far as I can see. I'll have to go back and look for the clues.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

mike --

i wouldn't have done it for the shock value of the page/moment. i like linda and all the other characters too much for that.

b

Comment

I'm guessing Tonto's shock is her sudden way of revealing their relationship.

Comment

yes. i think it's fair to say tonto is not the type to be comfortable with displays of affection, public or otherwise.

Comment

Well needless to say that that last page made my year. It stinks that this title isn't getting the press it deserves I guess it isn't ghoulishly violent enough to rate some peoples attention but I digress. i admit that it is alittle scary now that matthews has crossed this particular point because its an old caveat that writers will "elevate" a minor character just before rubbing them out. yeah i know what happens in canon but, man I would like to see the relationship blossom or whither or whatever before Linda exits. Also i am loving the stuff with the hornets.

Comment

stay tuned, tonto. more coming on all the fronts you post about.

i get what you're saying, though i would argue that linda isn't a minor character, at least to me.

all that said, i can't completely comfort you. no one is safe...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthews View Post
                    stay tuned, tonto. more coming on all the fronts you post about.

i get what you're saying, though i would argue that linda isn't a minor character, at least to me.

all that said, i can't completely comfort you. no one is safe...
                    This tease is a big as the one at the end of #19! I can't wait for the next issue. I haven't been this excited about a comic book in a long time. I really like what's going on here. Good stuff!

Comment

thanks for the kind words, ranger. we certainly do appreciate everyone's support.

lots of things to look forward to from dynamite in 2010, both ranger related and not. it's already shaping up to be a great year.

Comment

Working...
                      X