Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In-jokes, quotes and homages in The Boys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In-jokes, quotes and homages in The Boys

    Ok, we all know that Homelander is an evil Superman, Vought is Marvel/DC gone military and Hughie is identical to Simon Pegg.

    But this comic is heavily packed with quotations, parodies and references, to other comics as well as movies, novels and everything else. By comparison, Kill Bill is a poor-written fiction about a ninja girl.

    Being a bloody nerd damned to hell, I'm taking the trouble to track everything that I can land the eye on, from the tribute to Animal House in the G-men arc to the last superhero cameo in Herogasm. I know, I'm mad.

    Thanks to Kamakazi I could identify the Legend as a tribute both to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and I took a very questionable moment of pride when I realized that the Frenchman is suspiciously similar to Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan.

    So, why not involve you people in this silly little game of mine?

    Share your opinions and your discoveries here, and let's see what we can dig off this comic.


    To begin with, who the hell is the bandaged guy sitting all the time in the G-Wiz mansion? You know, the "dude with no name".

  • #2
    In the latest Herogasm, it appears that Ennis is riffing on Jack Kirby's sudden demotion down the DC totem pole (Eventually being stuck with the Jimmy Olsen comic) when Homelander tells his story about "Jack". I'd heard that DC felt Kirby's style was too angular and "old school" for their "big" titles when he first defected over to them, which might explain Homelander's "The way you draw me, I'm bizzaro enough already!" and "two weeks later, he was off the book" comments. (Quoting from memory, so excuse any errors.)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
      In the latest Herogasm, it appears that Ennis is riffing on Jack Kirby's sudden demotion down the DC totem pole (Eventually being stuck with the Jimmy Olsen comic) when Homelander tells his story about "Jack". I'd heard that DC felt Kirby's style was too angular and "old school" for their "big" titles when he first defected over to them, which might explain Homelander's "The way you draw me, I'm bizzaro enough already!" and "two weeks later, he was off the book" comments. (Quoting from memory, so excuse any errors.)

      According to wiki, Kirby actually asked to work on a low profile title, because "he didn't want to cost anyone his job".

      The Homelander story may refer to DC having all of Kirby's portraits of Superman and Superman characters re-drawn by other artists in the '70s (without consulting him), to match their "classic" image (something that disappointed the King, of course, and caused outrage in the fans of the time).

      Here's an example:



      On the left the original drawing by Kirby, on the right the final result.
      Last edited by Boris; 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ennis also toots his own horn during the Bar scene in "We gotta go now."
        Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name? Or that he protests the pouring of shamrocks in the head of the Guinness by writing profanities in them, an oh-so-subtle reference to "Welcome Back, Frank?"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by blackphoenix View Post
          Ennis also toots his own horn during the Bar scene in "We gotta go now."
          Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name?
          Notice? For a brief moment I actually believed he was Cassidy.


          Speaking of Preacher, there are some other little references here and there (in Herogasm 1, there is someone on the pool scene yelling backwards "work the shaft" and other less mentionable things, a reference to Odin Quincannon from the Salvation arc)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by blackphoenix View Post
            Ennis also toots his own horn during the Bar scene in "We gotta go now."
            Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name? Or that he protests the pouring of shamrocks in the head of the Guinness by writing profanities in them, an oh-so-subtle reference to "Welcome Back, Frank?"
            For a moment I was expecting a cop named "Soap" to walk in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
              For a moment I was expecting a cop named "Soap" to walk in.
              Would it have killed Ennis to have a hot redhead lesbian in the bar with them?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Boris View Post
                Notice? For a brief moment I actually believed he was Cassidy.
                For a brief moment? I still do.
                Now I feel bad, which issue is the "welcolme back, frank" mention?
                Edit: Nevermind, got it.
                Last edited by Claus_x; 10-08-2009, 09:50 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I may be discovering hot water here, but who does Chad Coleman (The Wire, Sarah Connor Chronicles) remind you of?




                  (from the forum of Darick Robertson's site)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Haha! Now I want to know who was Butcher's inspiration

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Claus_x View Post
                      Haha! Now I want to know who was Butcher's inspiration

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While we are on the subject, this is a pic of Spider Jerusalem (Transmetropolitan, art by Darick Robertson).




                        Wikipedia says the Female is based on Yelena Rossini (the "filthy assistant" of Spider, from Transmetropolitan, too), but, as Yelena isn't Asian, nor a teen, neither a psycho killer, my spider-sense (and Darick's forum) suggests otherwise.




                        Hughie is explicitily based on Simon Pegg (who's also friend of Darick), and for Butcher I had different options, the most obvious being Punisher, but I also tought of a previous Ennis' superhero killer, from The Authority:





                        But that was before Kamakazi got me with Vinnie Jones.
                        Last edited by Boris; 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Boris, I think you and I should do a panel on The Boys at the next ComiCon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                            Boris, I think you and I should do a panel on The Boys at the next ComiCon.
                            Ahahah!
                            Ok, here's the plan for the conference: you start landing shit on the whole comic and calling Ennis a bloody homophobe and whatever, then I show up and make some speech pretending to be an essay, we go on until everyone is left confused, then we run away holding Ennis as hostage and asking for a ransom.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              BEST
                              COMICON
                              EVAR!

                              BTW, I was reading through the first TPB last night, and I noticed that the "Comic Covers" seem to be incorrect. For example, in the "Seven" cover that features Lamplighter, A-Train is shown as a member. But wouldn't A-Train have joined AFTER Lamplighter was killed? Or am I mistaken?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X