X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris
    started a topic In-jokes, quotes and homages in The Boys

In-jokes, quotes and homages in The Boys

Ok, we all know that Homelander is an evil Superman, Vought is Marvel/DC gone military and Hughie is identical to Simon Pegg.

But this comic is heavily packed with quotations, parodies and references, to other comics as well as movies, novels and everything else. By comparison, Kill Bill is a poor-written fiction about a ninja girl.

Being a bloody nerd damned to hell, I'm taking the trouble to track everything that I can land the eye on, from the tribute to Animal House in the G-men arc to the last superhero cameo in Herogasm. I know, I'm mad.

Thanks to Kamakazi I could identify the Legend as a tribute both to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and I took a very questionable moment of pride when I realized that the Frenchman is suspiciously similar to Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan.

So, why not involve you people in this silly little game of mine?

Share your opinions and your discoveries here, and let's see what we can dig off this comic.

To begin with, who the hell is the bandaged guy sitting all the time in the G-Wiz mansion? You know, the "dude with no name".

Guest replied
    Man, what a month to not get on internet forums...

The Man With No Name, I kept thinking he could end up being some undercover guy from VAC who finds out who Hughie is, or attacks G-Wiz, etc. Not that Ennis would resort to some kind of "Xorn" homage, but as the book lampoons comic tendencies, I kept thinking that would be an issue. On that note I seriously hope someone finds the Pre-Wiz bodies and puts that shit on YouTube.

Neat thing about Proinsias in the Grassy Knoll? Steve Dillon did the alternate cover for that issue. Of all the issues for a guest cover, that was perfect.

I've caught allusions to origin stories for Wolverine, Green Lantern, and I think Silver Surfer with Galactus in passing conversations between the Boys. I want more back story on Radar Raider--that name alone is goddamn hysterical.

We've seen the Thor looking dude in Herogasm and Soldier Boy's funeral. Members of Fantastico returned right at the end of "Believe." We still haven't seen a spoof of the Wall-Crawler, and I wonder if Ennis is going to pull that punch, or if that story's just waiting to be told.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I got it! I GOT IT!

Here's a pic of Maj. Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, U.S. Army hero and founder of National Allied Publications, later known to the world as DC Comics.

Compare him to young Greg Mallory in the flashback on The Boys #52, and then try to deny you're in love with Garth Ennis.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BEST
    COMICON
    EVAR!

BTW, I was reading through the first TPB last night, and I noticed that the "Comic Covers" seem to be incorrect. For example, in the "Seven" cover that features Lamplighter, A-Train is shown as a member. But wouldn't A-Train have joined AFTER Lamplighter was killed? Or am I mistaken?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Boris, I think you and I should do a panel on The Boys at the next ComiCon.
    Ahahah!
    Ok, here's the plan for the conference: you start landing shit on the whole comic and calling Ennis a bloody homophobe and whatever, then I show up and make some speech pretending to be an essay, we go on until everyone is left confused, then we run away holding Ennis as hostage and asking for a ransom.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Boris, I think you and I should do a panel on The Boys at the next ComiCon.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    While we are on the subject, this is a pic of Spider Jerusalem (Transmetropolitan, art by Darick Robertson).

Wikipedia says the Female is based on Yelena Rossini (the "filthy assistant" of Spider, from Transmetropolitan, too), but, as Yelena isn't Asian, nor a teen, neither a psycho killer, my spider-sense (and Darick's forum) suggests otherwise.

Hughie is explicitily based on Simon Pegg (who's also friend of Darick), and for Butcher I had different options, the most obvious being Punisher, but I also tought of a previous Ennis' superhero killer, from The Authority:

But that was before Kamakazi got me with Vinnie Jones.
    Last edited by Boris; 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Claus_x View Post
    Haha! Now I want to know who was Butcher's inspiration

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Haha! Now I want to know who was Butcher's inspiration

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I may be discovering hot water here, but who does Chad Coleman (The Wire, Sarah Connor Chronicles) remind you of?

(from the forum of Darick Robertson's site)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Boris View Post
    Notice? For a brief moment I actually believed he was Cassidy.
    For a brief moment? I still do.
    Now I feel bad, which issue is the "welcolme back, frank" mention?
    Edit: Nevermind, got it.
    Last edited by Claus_x; 10-08-2009, 09:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
    For a moment I was expecting a cop named "Soap" to walk in.
    Would it have killed Ennis to have a hot redhead lesbian in the bar with them?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by blackphoenix View Post
    Ennis also toots his own horn during the Bar scene in "We gotta go now."
    Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name? Or that he protests the pouring of shamrocks in the head of the Guinness by writing profanities in them, an oh-so-subtle reference to "Welcome Back, Frank?"
    For a moment I was expecting a cop named "Soap" to walk in.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by blackphoenix View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name?
    Notice? For a brief moment I actually believed he was Cassidy.

Speaking of Preacher, there are some other little references here and there (in Herogasm 1, there is someone on the pool scene yelling backwards "work the shaft" and other less mentionable things, a reference to Odin Quincannon from the Salvation arc)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Did anyone else notice that the bartender's name is Proinsias? Cassidy's first name? Or that he protests the pouring of shamrocks in the head of the Guinness by writing profanities in them, an oh-so-subtle reference to "Welcome Back, Frank?"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X