Queen Sonja #1 Discussion *Spoilers Galore*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Sonja #1 Discussion *Spoilers Galore*

So i got this at my LCS after i got off of work, since i'm rather curious how she'll look now that she's back in Rubi's hands and so far i gotta say she looks good but a bit different. Heh, seeing her chainmail bikini containing so few links is a bit of a surprise, but i guess i'll learn to live with it again. Nice to see her rack shrink a bit and her hips get wider, along with so more definition in her arms, now its a smidge more believable in her being able to swing that cleaver. Poor goombas never had a chance and one of em died really really slow. Bonus points for the cool action entrance

Now i'm kinda curious whether we're going through another reboot. Osin is nowhere to be found, it seems like her "legend" has reappeared again where far away nobility has requested her aid. If this was under the new rebirth continuity i dont see how the reborn Red Sonja would have had enough time to reassume her mantle as baddest ass she devil with a blade. So unless Osin has died offscreen (which is likely) i dont see him EVER splitting apart from Sonja since he's been crushing on her for like 4 decades and she no longer has to maintain her vow to Scatach (or ever needed to since her fighting ability was inborn due to her bloodline with Kulan Gath).

A new female posse will be under her command again and now she's got a kingdom to clan. I can alraedy tell the kingdom (Songaria) prolly held the Sword of Aurora as some sort of Excalibur equivalent where whoever wields gets to be their King/Queen. And that those female raiders are just out there to gather info and leads on where it is so that they can bring it back to the kingdom to restore order.

How convenient for them that Red Sonja showed up. I knew something was fishy when they didnt get dismembered the first few panels Sonja ambushed em. And demanding a surrender? Since when has this Red Sonja done that? Those lucky blondes

I loved this issue. Finally reads like a Red Sonja book should. Looking forward to more. Glad to see Mel Rubi back as well, I love his Red Sonja.

Comment

I agree with everything you guys have said. The high quality surprised me a bit - I've only read a few RS issues and wasn't expecting such a strong start. I'm looking forward to issue #2.

I think I gave it a balanced review at www.weeklycomicbookreview.com

DS

Comment

I liked it a lot. Now, there needs to eventually be an envoy to Aquilonia to meet up with King Conan. How about it Dynamite? Ready for a crossover with Dark Horse?

GOLD MINE.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Warhammer3025 View Post
          So i got this at my LCS after i got off of work, since i'm rather curious how she'll look now that she's back in Rubi's hands and so far i gotta say she looks good but a bit different. Heh, seeing her chainmail bikini containing so few links is a bit of a surprise, but i guess i'll learn to live with it again. Nice to see her rack shrink a bit and her hips get wider, along with so more definition in her arms, now its a smidge more believable in her being able to swing that cleaver. Poor goombas never had a chance and one of em died really really slow. Bonus points for the cool action entrance

Now i'm kinda curious whether we're going through another reboot. Osin is nowhere to be found, it seems like her "legend" has reappeared again where far away nobility has requested her aid. If this was under the new rebirth continuity i dont see how the reborn Red Sonja would have had enough time to reassume her mantle as baddest ass she devil with a blade. So unless Osin has died offscreen (which is likely) i dont see him EVER splitting apart from Sonja since he's been crushing on her for like 4 decades and she no longer has to maintain her vow to Scatach (or ever needed to since her fighting ability was inborn due to her bloodline with Kulan Gath).

A new female posse will be under her command again and now she's got a kingdom to clan. I can alraedy tell the kingdom (Songaria) prolly held the Sword of Aurora as some sort of Excalibur equivalent where whoever wields gets to be their King/Queen. And that those female raiders are just out there to gather info and leads on where it is so that they can bring it back to the kingdom to restore order.

How convenient for them that Red Sonja showed up. I knew something was fishy when they didnt get dismembered the first few panels Sonja ambushed em. And demanding a surrender? Since when has this Red Sonja done that? Those lucky blondes
          After considerable searching have finally found a copy, and it is a major improvement over what has gone before in all respects. She even looks awake, as opposed to some renditions that had her looking either half asleep or totally disinterested/bored to tears with it all. Have yet to do a detailed check to see if her fighting stances are correct.

Agree that the 'reborn' Sonja has not had enough time to establish a reputation, let alone for it to spread. It is possible the reputation referred to is that of her predicessor, and people are linking/confusing the current one to/with her. Red's fighting ability was from the goddess that appeared to her after her rape, and hard work thereafter. The only connection she has with KG is killing him when she was around age 20-22 near the start of her career that lasted for at least 30 more years. The KG/Scatach bit is a DE fabrication that is not substantiated in the established Red Sonja canon.

Songaria? Unless it is very new, or merely a city-state, there is no such kingdom in Hyboria. Have double-checked my map of the place, and that kingdom is not present. Not mentioned in the 'Handbook of the Conan Universe', either.

Red occasionally accepts/demands surrender if she needs information or considers that her current victim is not worthy of death. This is both rare and subject to the subsequent behavior of the one spared.

So far, the new series looks promising, and am hoping it will be more like the Red Sonja I met 30 odd years ago and have stayed with since.

Comment

I hope we get to an explanation of where Osin is sooner rather than later.

At the end of Red Sonja #49, they were essentially walking off into the sunset together.

Come Queen Sonja #1...he's missing? I could live with the idea that he had died off or been killed off, but not in an offscreen manner.

The character would seem to deserve a bit better than that since he's been such a huge factor in the series now.

Comment

Well, I really enjoyed Queen Sonja. I am excited to see Sonja run a merry band of women warriors. We haven't really seen Sonja have any female company since early on in the past series. I mean Osin and her gang were alright, but this will be refreshing... especially they way they are portrayed as young naive characters that will make mistakes and need to learn from Sonja as opposed to the hardened fighters like her previous crew were.

Comment

Working...
              X