Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Female: What We "Know"

Let’s begin with a recap of The Frenchman:

The Frenchman, who may or may not actually be French, may or may not have been in the military, and may or may not have been traumatized by that experience, may or may not have created the Frenchman persona as a delusional escape from a reality or event which was too much for him to handle. Vought American and/or Butcher and/or the man who became the Frenchman himself may or may not have had anything to do with why the Frenchman may or may not have created the delusional Frenchman persona.

Hmmmm, I guess the only things we really “know” about the Frenchman are:

1. Wherever and however he was found, Mallory and Butcher trusted the Frenchman enough to recruit him and inject him with Compound V.
    2. The Frenchman has a good working knowledge of French military history (and stereotypical French culture).
    3. The Frenchman has a good working knowledge of electronic surveillance equipment.
    4. The Frenchman is an extremely violent and effective hand-to hand combatant.
    5. The Frenchman currently has an interest in doing what he can to help the Female deal with her overwhelming violent desires and helping her get by in civilized society.
    6. The Frenchman is completely loyal to Butcher and the Boys until the bitter end (which is ultimately what Butcher feels is most important).

Why is it important to recap the Frenchman? Because he is the SOURCE of all the information on The Female. He goes being a nutcase (technical term) telling a delusional fabrication to being a trusted narrator retelling accurate information on someone else?! His whole narration being in quotation marks makes it seem as though The Female told him her story. But, Hughie already asked the question we all wondered: “does she talk?”

HOWEVER, if we can set that aside, here is…

The Female: What We “Know”

WWK Superpowers: Female has the power to “explosively eviscerate” opponents and violently dismantle complex machinery, taking apart suits of armor, airplane engines, human beings, etc. The female appears to have a special ability or affinity for tearing off her opponents (victims?) faces. She has enhanced strength, agility and durability. Although the average person and the average supe don’t stand much of a chance against her super power, there are limits to her power. When a person is durable enough (e.g. Stormfront) the female actually damaged her own hand trying to tear off his face.

WWDK: The female consumed refined Compound V “waste” as a baby. We may have seen all that she can do, or she may have a few tricks left up her sleeve. She can be very stealthy, but is it a super power, or is she just small, silent and sneaky?

WWK: Family: According to the origin story, she’s an only child. The only possible survivor of the Female’s family is her mother, and she currently is either dead or living somewhere unaware and unconcerned about the Female’s whereabouts.

WWDK: Could the Female’s mother have had other children?

WWK: Motivations: For most of her early life, the Female was kept in a cage as a medical experiment or as a potential living weapon. She was not formally educated and did not develop the normal social skills and value of social relationships that most people develop during childhood… Her mother is characterized as neglectful, so she may not have had the opportunity to “bond” with another human until The Boys and the Frenchman began teaching her the finer points of human interactions. The Boys are the closest thing to a “family” the Female has ever had (and you thought your family was dysfunctional). Part of the Female’s connection to the Boys appears to be that the “job” gives her life purpose and an opportunity to let out her aggression. She has a hunger for death and destruction which seems to be a core part of her character.

WWDK: Will her hunger overwhelm her one day? Is there something that would lead her to wander off one day and never return? She appears fully capable of surviving on her own, and as far as we know she didn’t even keep closely connected with the Frenchman when the Boys disbanded.

WWK: Experience: The Female appears to understand Japanese, English and the Frenchman’s “French”. Her early childhood would have prepared her to be an expert at escape and/or evading detection. She has been trained in the use of surveillance equipment (camera’s and electronics) and is a ferocious and merciless hand-to-what’s-left-of-a-hand combatant. The whole reason she was “recruited” by the Boys was to be a living weapon. However, this potential “monster” has learned to live and interact appropriately with society (most days). The Female has extensive experience dealing with organized crime due to her side hobby of assassin.

WWDK: What has yet to be revealed is what she does with the money from the contracts she occasionally takes. She may have lived off the money when the Boys were disbanded. But, certainly the income from being a high priced assassin is more than she would spend (unless she has a warehouse full of expensive dolls somewhere)

I'm not sure that even Garth Ennis is taking this series seriously at this point, but if I were to give him the benefit of the doubt, then I'd say that NOTHING Frenchie told Hughie about The Female's "origin" is true.

Here's why: For any of it to be true, we'd have to accept the following plot holes:
    • At some point, the Female spoke.
    • The Female somehow knows about things that happen long before her birth, even though it's clearly established in her Origin itself that she never actually knew any members of her family. (And if she's fuckin' Telepathic, she sure didn't show it against Stormfront.)
    • The Japanese leave several trillion dollars worth of V just lying around in buckets, to be WACKY.
    • Unlike EVERY OTHER PERSON that's ever used V, The Female manifested her superpowers instantly.
    • The Japanese, who are apparently idiots in Ennis-Verse, spend YEARS letting The Female randomly kill entire rooms full of their research scientists, just to be WACKY.
    • The Japanese military are actually the Keystone Kops. And WACKY.

But really, nothing about the story Frenchie told rings true. Or let me put it another way: were a coherent story being told by a writer who actually gave a damn about what he was writing, Frenchie's story wouldn't ring true. If, however, The Boys has merely degenerated into Christopher Priest-Era Deadpool, then sure, maybe we're supposed to take this issue seriously.
    Last edited by Kamakazi; 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

While I agree with you about the dangers of taking the Frenchman’s story too seriously – in fact, I'm pretty sure that it’s all a delusion – I’m fairly convinced that the Female’s story is, in some ways, fairly accurate.

I think that the early part of the story, where Hiroshima and Godzilla-like creatures are dismissed, is actually a nod of the hat to stereotypical origins for Japanese superheroes and villains. And, of course, the origin is dismissed. I suspect that Frenchie’s earlier mention of Hiroshima was to dismiss it as well, although it makes little sense in context. It could be that he was trying to reassure himself as much as Hughie.

But the main body of the story may be a homage to other grey super-people. It could be that the reason the Female wasn't killed by the Japanese was that they wanted her alive and intact. You must admit that she makes one hell of a weapon. They might have removed her tongue to stop her from screaming or she might have removed it herself.

Thoughts?

Chris

Comment

Alien

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
        Here's why: For any of it to be true, we'd have to accept the following plot holes:
        • At some point, the Female spoke.
        • The Female somehow knows about things that happen long before her birth, even though it's clearly established in her Origin itself that she never actually knew any members of her family. (And if she's fuckin' Telepathic, she sure didn't show it against Stormfront.)
        • The Japanese leave several trillion dollars worth of V just lying around in buckets, to be WACKY.
        • Unlike EVERY OTHER PERSON that's ever used V, The Female manifested her superpowers instantly.
        • The Japanese, who are apparently idiots in Ennis-Verse, spend YEARS letting The Female randomly kill entire rooms full of their research scientists, just to be WACKY.
        • The Japanese military are actually the Keystone Kops. And WACKY.
        I agree making the Frenchman the source of information on the Female was a pretty poor choice... But, the Frenchman is consistently more accurate about information on others, and he is the one closest to the Female...
        • I think the Female has the ability to speak, but chooses not to speak. (I know it's a stretch that she doesn't even cry out in pain) Did they show her with no tongue? I can't remember... (Edit) The Female had a tongue when she joined the Boys... I just looked at the panel where they were showing her mouth open and hissing Alien style...
        • If the company in Japan was their version of VA, they would have researched her family, and kept her background in her "file". (I agree that there was too much detail in there to be realistic and the way the story was told, it seemed like family history orally passed down from family members to the Female.... and Female would never have had an opportunity to hear it personally)
        • Yeah, the bucket of Compound V waste lying around was sloppy storytelling, and probably for comedic effect...
        • Excellent point... and a break from the "facts" of the world of the Boys.. Making it unstable waste Compound V was an easy out to make the story work?
        • Who knows how much that corporation valued that research (and her blood)... But, couldn't they have gotten more Compound V (paid off VA) or somehow gotten their hands on another qualified researcher? What happened to the rest of the Compound V they had (or even what was left in the bucket)?! That company obviously didn't value their lab techs much...
        • I'd say it was private corporate security who recaptured the Female in the past and tried and failed that last time... I liked how The Boys finished off the two researchers left in charge of the project...

The Female's last escape was a great homage to Aliens (including lines driectly from the film) and felt a little like a scene in Species. Combined with the cover homage to Alien http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-7344/Alien.html and Species http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MP...6/Species.html , it was cool thinking of the Female as an "inhuman monster" on that level... It's good that Mallory saw through that image and treated her differently... as human

I also liked the last panel where the happy billboard on the subway is the complete opposite of the Female who lives in her own private misery... She really must feel alien...
        Last edited by Hot_Ch0c0; 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM. Reason: added links

Comment

I think both of you have good points. It would be interesting to hear Frenchy tell a version of Mother's Milk's origin, just to see how it sounds through the Frenchy Filter.

Comment

Working...
          X