Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sonja #50 discussion

Once upon a time, Red Sonja's comic book potential seemed extinct, as the
    classic Robert E. Howard struggled to attract interest from publishers.
    Then, Sonja found Dynamite Entertainment on her path. Over the past five-odd
    years, the company has successfully reinvigorated the redhead with an ongoing
    series, mini-series, one-shots and crossovers with both Marvel (Spider-Man) and
    DC (Kull) characters. Sonja's ongoing monthly lasted for 49 issues and paved the
    way for the current series Queen Sonja by Joshua Ortega and Mel Rubi.

Now, Dynamite has confirmed for BF that there are plans to resume the main Red
    Sonja ongoing with Red Sonja #50 sometime in 2010. Stay tuned for more info as
    it becomes available!

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/headli...s-red-sonja-50

OBviously based on

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com...ead.php?t=2300

but I thought it was time for some pimping

Comment

Now that you have gotten the attention of the faithful, any more news on this?

What could be better than 2 Sonja titles running? If they would only reprint all the rest of the old Sonja tales they have not gotten to yet...

Comment

Just got Sonja #50 in the mail and holy cow is this issue thick! It contains some old school Sonja stories and some newer ones, I have only flipped through and have not read the whole thing yet but I will comment once I have finished it.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Heh looks like they're following the mess of continuity of Reed's run. Where's Osin? Poor bastard prolly died off panel. I wonder if he finally got some now that the Goddess's Curse is no longer in effect and that Sonja's battlefield prowess comes from her godly blood. Be cool to finally see her warm up to people no longer shackled by that pledge.

Comment

Red Sonja #50 looks to be a collection of self-contained stories. A new story arc will begin in #51 and we won't know if the new writer, Peter Brett, will follow the continuity of Reed's run until then.

Comment

Red Sonja #50 was huge over hundred pages! But i ended up deciding to skip it since it's a got a coupla reprinted stories in the back that i already have. But i did end up reading through it and a coupla of the short stories were pretty good. In one of them it gave some sort of nod to continuity where she claimed to have sailed with Pirate Lord Lucan and it also says after she was off training for a few months (i guess to power herself up to her previous badass level). So i guess Osin is a no show, poor bum. I say just ditch Reed's run and just go back to her roots. Hopefully we get a more interesting Sonja rather than a simple killing machine. I wonder when 51 will come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhammer3025 View Post
                In one of them it gave some sort of nod to continuity where she claimed to have sailed with Pirate Lord Lucan and it also says after she was off training for a few months (i guess to power herself up to her previous badass level).
                This one confused me. Lucan from Brian Reed's run on Red Sonja was not a pirate and he and Sonja never sailed together on a ship. Sonja also yelled "Scathach's spear--!" Scathach is the name of Sonja's goddess. In Reed's run Sonja never knew Scathach and didn't meet her until toward the end of the storyline. Either writer Kevin McCarthy didn't know there was already a person named Lucan in the Sonja universe or he didn't care about continuity.

It's the same for the Queen Sonja series... on the inside front cover the description reads: "For a time, O Prince, after the destruction of the evil Kulan Gath, the world was a different place and time ripped asunder. Sonja know not herself, nor her companions, nor her world..." This acknowledges Brian Reed's run but in Queen Sonja #7 Sonja had a flashback of her origin and it was the one with her family getting killed. Which one is it, Dynamite?

I say just ditch Reed's run and just go back to her roots. Hopefully we get a more interesting Sonja rather than a simple killing machine.
                The solicitation for Red Sonja #51 said she was going back to her roots. It looks like they're scrapping everything Reed wrote. It was nine months between the release of Red Sonja #49 and #50. Maybe Dynamite is hoping people would forget what happened when they started her series back up.

I wonder when 51 will come out.
                Red Sonja #51 should be out in the middle or the end of July.

Comment

Have yet to find a copy up here, but am still looking. Have also seen comments on 'back to roots' in various ads in QS, but what that means is not defined. To me, 'roots' is the Marvel era, where there is a lot of blank space in her 40 - odd year career in terms of stories told. I hope the Reed thing is ditched for good, as all he came up with is FUBAR (Fouled up beyond all recognition). How a woman that was still adventuring into her 60s could die in her late 20s/early 30s is quite beyond me. And that in battling a foe she originally defeated handily when around 19-20.

The upcoming 'Classic Red Sonja' looks promising, as does the advertised volume on artwork, so thre is hope yet.

Comment

I really enjoyed Red Sonja #50. Even though it was half reprint, you get a lot for your $4.99. You get more pages of new story in #50 than you do in Red Sonja Annual #3, for which they charge $5.99. I'm not knocking the annual, I just think that it's over-priced. I'm glad to see some new stuff and the Classic RS Remastered is good as well.

Comment

Have finally found a copy, up in 'Cow Hampshire' of all places. Have been reading as time permits, and so far like it. The first two stories could easily fit into her classic era as filling in some of the many gaps. The viking one is a maybe; has the same general feel but the geography seems off, unless it takes place somewhere on the coast of Nordheim, and the writer seems to have forgotten (or not known) that the only dieties Red ever invoked were those of Hyrkania and Mitra. The one with the unicorn was a nice touch, showing a side of her seldom seen of late.

I too, hope for a more interesting Sonja, not a mere killing machine. The original is a very complex and human character, one who underneath the capable warrior is a woman of high (for the time and culture) principles who did her best to live by them. She also is a warrior that dislikes killing. More than once in the old tales she states that she does not like to do it, but does so when necessary. This comes out in the frost giant story, by the way.

All in all, a good start for what I hope will be a better series than what preceeded it.

Comment

Working...
                      X