The Boys #41 Full Recap And Review!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys #41 Full Recap And Review!

The Roll of Greatness continues, and Ennis delivers yet another phenomenal issue. That makes two in a row and counting!

...but you don't come to me for praise and positive commentary, so I'm going to pretend I hated it anyway...

The issue opens with MalChemical being welcomed to Super Duper. They've thrown him a party, complete with cake. As the party progresses, it becomes apparent that there's probably more wrong with the members of Super Duper than just the general goofiness that we saw last issue. Mal, who shall hereafter be referred to as "Mal", asks what their last leader did with the team. Auntie Sis informs him that they never had a leader before. This is quite clearly bullshit. Auntie Sis has obviously been calling the shots, and the reason why becomes more and more apparent a the issue progresses. Mal comments on the various quirks of the SD crew, such as Klanker's obscene outbursts, Stool Shadow's bruises, and so forth. More on this later.

Eventually, our happy crew decides to "go on patrol", which for them entails wandering around the neighborhood looking for wrongs to right. In a fairly hilarious segment, they attempt to get a cat out of a tree. They fail miserably, which results in Camo Kid ending up a puddle on the ground, and Bobby Badoing peeing all over the group. It sounds stupid, and frankly it is, but at least it's funny-stupid, and not grotesque-stupid or insulting-stupid like much of the last year's worth of The Boys.

Meanwhile, back with Mother's Milk and The Frenchman: MM is hackin' a computer, and he's found something that concerns him. He asks Frenchy if he's going crazy. In probably the funniest and most profound scene ever to involved these two, Frenchy says "If you have to ask ME, then yes."

MM informs us that Mal was NOT sent over to Super Duper to try and make them "darker" or "more edgy". There's a secret that Butcher didn't tell them! I was a bit worried that Ennis was going to drag this "secret" thing out for a year or two until we all stopped caring, the way he does with every other "secret", and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was incorrect.

In the very next scene, Auntie Sis confronts Mal, and flat-out asks him what he did to get busted down to the Minors. Mal, who is busy turning his thumb into a bottle opener, informs her that he used his Shape-Shifting powers to impersonate the leader of his former team, for the purpose of having sex with said team leader's girlfriend. I'm still not sure that Mal is such a bad guy, considering that just about 95% of us would do something similar if we woke up tomorrow with Shape Shifting powers. Who is Kiera Knightly dating these days, anyway?

Right. Like you WOULDN'T be impersonating Ryan Reynolds.

Anyway, he got caught, (and I'm not going to go into how, but since it's Ennis, just insert something awful and you'll have the general idea) and blammo, now he's leading Super Duper.

Auntie Sis informs him that she's perfectly aware of how most Supes behave, and she'll be having none of his shenanigans. Her team mates are... special. Mal puts two and two together and realizes that he's literally been put in charge of Vought-American's Special Needs division. He's not very happy about it, but on the other hand, he seems completely uninterested in interacting with them, leaving Auntie Sis to baby sit them. She informs him that she's taking SD out for ice cream, and his attendance will not be required.

Next we cut to Hughie, talking to Starlight. She's thinking about quitting the Seven. She wants to know if Hughie will love her, no matter what. He, being a dumbass, assures her that he will. Here's a tip for the rest of you: if your girl calls you and says: "Will you still love me if I've done something really, really horrible?", just say "no" and hang up.

Hughie continues to follow Super Duper, who are now at an ice cream shop, chowing down. Black Hole, who apparently has the same powers as "Matter Eater Lad", (marking the only time in the history of The Boys where Ennis gave his knockoff character a better name than the original hero) swallows an entire cup of ice cream, spoon and all. Since his powers suck, he starts to choke to death.

It's tough to come up with a parody of this guy.

Hughie flashes back to a scene wherein Frenchy teaches him how to do a Tracheotomy. He sprints in and saves Black Hole's life. The resulting scene is kind of cool and touching, and it's really a shame that Ennis has degenerated to the point where the only way he can portray nice people behaving decently is to have them all be retarded. In any event, Hughie is now SD's hero!

...which apparently pisses off Butcher no end, as he spies upon them from across the street. This seems odd, since he clearly must have seen the entire incident. Did he really expect Hughie to just let the guy die?

All in all though, this was really a great issue. I have to wonder just how good "The Boys" would have been if Ennis had show this much discipline, restraint, and interest in Character and Plot development throughout the rest of the title's run.
    Last edited by Kamakazi; 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM.

Is it just me, or MalChemical is Homelander's quadrichromic twin?

Plot hint, hidden jab, lazy draw, or just my rotten brain?

Comment

Not a bad issue, really.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
        Is it just me, or MalChemical is Homelander's quadrichromic twin?

Plot hint, hidden jab, lazy draw, or just my rotten brain?
        ...or the lazy brain of Garth Ennis. He tends to just use "personality templates" quite a bit. Everyone in G-Wiz was completely interchangeable, as were most members of the G-Men. Minor bad-guys all seem to have the same bored, disaffected air about them, right up until they do something insane (and usually completely out of character. For example, A-Train was always a prick, but there was no indication that he was a rapist until Ennis needed him to be a rapist.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
          ...or the lazy brain of Garth Ennis. He tends to just use "personality templates" quite a bit. Everyone in G-Wiz was completely interchangeable, as were most members of the G-Men. Minor bad-guys all seem to have the same bored, disaffected air about them, right up until they do something insane (and usually completely out of character. For example, A-Train was always a prick, but there was no indication that he was a rapist until Ennis needed him to be a rapist.)
          Not so. A-Train was one of the members of the 7 who forced Anne to blow them or get out. I don't think he would have had doubts over that.

Speaking of which, am I the only one to see that A-Train's position is just as weak as Anne's? He's hardly one of the orginal 7 too.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisnuttall View Post
            Not so. A-Train was one of the members of the 7 who forced Anne to blow them or get out. I don't think he would have had doubts over that.

Speaking of which, am I the only one to see that A-Train's position is just as weak as Anne's? He's hardly one of the orginal 7 too.

Chris

Interesting view of the situation. I guess I've always figured that offering someone fame and fortune if they give you a blowjob doesn't really seem like rape; it seems more like prostitution. In retrospect, it seems odd to me that it was Homelander, A-Train and Black Noir. It seems like it's typically more Homelander, A-Train and Jack from Jupiter that are doing the Drunken Fratboys routine.

Comment

Well, I meant Malchemical is physically Homelander's twin.

Until now he seems to be the least bad of bad guys (who wouldn't be bored, disaffected and a bit annoyed at the thought of leading the Vought American Nursery for Special Superkids for a punishment?).

But of course I rest assured he's going to burn someone alive and drink his blood in a couple of issues.

Also, A-Train was the very first supe we met in the series, carelessly killing Hughie's girlfriend while swearing the hell off (not exactly your average Flash clone). He was clearly one of the villains, and a complete bastard. Raping or prostituting someone just adds to the mix.

I think A-Train had to be involved (and later he's the one trying to rape Annie, straight and simple), so both Annie and Hughie have a reason to hate him, something I'm convinced will have an obvious conclusion later in the series.

But he isn't one of the original Seven, he took the place of Barry All... ehr, Mr. Marathon, after the 9/11 troubles.

Comment

Heh, yeah, Mal DOES look a lot like Homelander. I've been hoping that Mal ends up being more "normal" than the other homicidal Supes, but given the spoilers they appear to be putting up on the landing page of this very site, it appears that my hope is in vain. Still, this is shaping up to be the best arc yet, IMHO.

If I had Mal's powers, I'd be constantly turning one hand into Nachos and the other into beer.

Comment

Interesting view of the situation. I guess I've always figured that offering someone fame and fortune if they give you a blowjob doesn't really seem like rape; it seems more like prostitution. In retrospect, it seems odd to me that it was Homelander, A-Train and Black Noir. It seems like it's typically more Homelander, A-Train and Jack from Jupiter that are doing the Drunken Fratboys routine.
                  You're forgetting that Homelander is racist... He picked the white guys and left out Jack and The Deep, who both have some color to their skin... Or maybe Homelander was attempting to make A-Train think he was "a part of the team" or Homelander was trying to "groom" A-Train for other purposes... And A-Train blew it (pun intended) by screwing around in front of Vought Guy.... Remember, Homelander plays with people like toys... Just look at Soldier Boy...

Jack seemed to take A-Train under his wing at Herogasm, and A-Train seems to have a little more support than Starlight... The only person to ever stand up for her was Queen Maeve regarding the whole "image makeover" thing... I agree that the rest of the Seven are so self-serving that they wouldn't care if either of the two "newbies" were replaced tomorrow... They don't trust or respect either A-Train or Starlight enough to truly involve them in anything important...

Comment

Working...
                  X