NEW! Red/Queen Sonja Collectors Corner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW! Red/Queen Sonja Collectors Corner

Hi all! I'm new to Dynamite Entertainment comics. The Red Sonja #50 ad in a recent copy of Comic Shop News got me perked up and buying last year's Red Sonja
    Hot and sexy and showing off more so less armour
    63.64%
    Being more conservative and showing off less so more armour
    36.36%
    Last edited by XDantheManX; 03-28-2012, 07:32 AM.

Less is more!

I want to see the Red Sonja of the 1970's where you got to see a breast here and maybe some bush once in awhile and her making love even!(All within the storyline of course!) We want the More "Adult" Version of Red Sonja that was her in the 1970's. Otherwise keep up all other aspects of the story telling, just stop dancing around the Sexiness of the character and blend that with the sword and sorcery and you'll have a winning combo of the ultimate fantasy heroine.

Comment

That chain mail bikini has got to go. It's been fifty issues. Enough is enough. Put the woman in some clothes.

Comment

One was there, done that. Didn't work. Letting her die, didn't work. If you want to sell Red Sonja, if you want to read it, you must admit to the bikini.

Comment

Nooooooooooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by XDantheManX View Post
            Can some of you post some good artists that draw Red Sonja well and I'll try to buy the trade paperbacks or back issues if I can still find them? Thanks.
            Some good artists that drew Red Sonja well, in my opinion, were: Pablo Marcos (Red Sonja #31, Red Sonja Annual #2), Fabiano Neves (Red Sonja #32), Diego Bernard (Red Sonja #48) and Walter Geovani (regular artist for Brian Reed's run on Red Sonja).

I liked Mel Rubi's art when Dynamite first started the Red Sonja series in 2005 but after seeing different artists' take on the She-Devil with a Sword I don't think his style fits anymore. It's a shame Dynamite didn't get one of the artists I mentioned above to be the regular artist on the Queen Sonja title. Mel Rubi's art on Queen Sonja (#1-5) made the character look too skinny and weak. She's a warrior and she's suppose to stand out but Rubi made her look like every other female she came across. I hope he never draws for another Red Sonja title anytime soon.

Comment

I side with Esteee. The bikini may be a trademark, but not at all practical, and was not exclusive even in the Marvel days. Depending on the artist, there were several outfits in adddition: Mail shirt with red shorts, metal bikini type top with fur shorts and mid thigh boots, what looks like a furry 1 peice swimsuit with black and yellow waist sash, what may be easiest described as the 'Roman legionaire' look - which appeared in several of the later 'Savage Sword' stories.

As for artists: Boris V., Dick Giordano, John Buscema, and Ernie Chan. I know these are artists from the old days, but they had her look like a normal woman, not a sex machine on steroids.

As for the 'love making' comment, there was none. An occasional kiss - seldom voluntary - was pretty much it. The closest a story got was in 'Phantasm', but it was all in Conan's imagination, not something actually engaged in. Red remained true to her vow, occasional encounters with someone she wanted to marry notwithstanding, right into her 60s. For a woman to remain virtuous in that age (or our own, for that matter) is remarkable, and I salute her.

Comment

This poll needs a third option, both, more and less; this isn't a Superman comics, the character could carry more for heavy action, and less in other times ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
                  As for the 'love making' comment, there was none.
                  Actually there were three instances of Sonja "making love" -- with the god Kaleval in regular continuity, with King Ghannif of Pah-Dishah in a "what if?" alternate timeline where she never met the goddess and swore an oath of chastity, and with her husband Daniel in her reincarnation as Lady Sonja of Dorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemedian View Post
                    Actually there were three instances of Sonja "making love" -- with the god Kaleval in regular continuity, with King Ghannif of Pah-Dishah in a "what if?" alternate timeline where she never met the goddess and swore an oath of chastity, and with her husband Daniel in her reincarnation as Lady Sonja of Dorn.

Kaleval is in the inaccurate/Sonja of Dynamite's own imagination run, not the original. There are so many inaccuracies in their version that one can only conclude the writer was either very ignorant or came up with another Sonja very loosely based on the original. Similar comment for the Lady Sonja, a reincarnated Sonja is not the original Sonja. Alternate "what ifs" are just that, and therefore not relevant to Red. In realistic terms, it is doubtful that Sonja would have survived that day without the intervention of the goddess. Some of the attackers came back for more, and even if she managed to survive the raping, would likely have been butchered afterwards, as the burning of her house with her in it indicates.

It is clear in the original stories that Red remained true to her vow.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
                      Kaleval is in the inaccurate/Sonja of Dynamite's own imagination run, not the original.
                      Inaccurate/Sonja of Dynamite's run is still Red Sonja. Though there are different incarnations of the character one version isn't more "accurate" than the other. Yes, there's the "original" one but regardless if the books are published by Marvel or Dynamite no one version of Sonja is the definite one. All stories, whether you like them or not, are valid. If you want to pretend one version didn't happen like people pretend the Batman and Robin movie didn't happen, more power to you.

Comment

There was a movie called "Batman and Robin"?

Comment

Working...
                        X