Three Red Sonjas or Four?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjacobson View Post
    When Artimoff says "the first one", he's talking about the Barry Windsor-Smith incarnation. You know, the chainmail shirted one. She is still rocking the bikini on the cover.
    I mean the Marvel Sonja, the one set in conan's time.

Durring the Oeming/Reed run it was mentioned that Sonja had lived before. I assume that meant the Dynamite Sonja was the reincarnation of the Marvel one.

Comment

Originally posted by Artimoff View Post
      I mean the Marvel Sonja, the one set in conan's time.

Durring the Oeming/Reed run it was mentioned that Sonja had lived before. I assume that meant the Dynamite Sonja was the reincarnation of the Marvel one.
      I got the same impression. Unfortunate, as there is so very much to be told about the original without resorting to a school of thought/belief that not everyone accepts. They then added insult to injury by having the world she is in quite alien from classic Hyboria. Interesting stories in their own way, but certainly [I]not[[I] Red Sonja as she had been clearly defined.

I got the DE versions out of loyalty to Red, but to me the real her is in the Marvel era. Eric is doing a fine job of picking up her legacy, which is most welcome. We may well have 3 Sonjas, not 4, if he continues in this vein.

A point of uncomfortableness is, perhaps surprisingly, the art. While it is excellent, it has too much of the DE era look and feel. While some of that may be the overall change in comic art since the old days, still a few suggestions: Her hair has a natural wave, not looking like she just stepped out of the shower as currently. This is too early for the 'chainmail bikini' even if only the bottom; use the red shorts that go with the mail shirt (which is correct). Get the stances right, when making a sword cut with the right hand, the left leg is in front, not the right. As the cut is made, the right leg then moves to the front as body weight shifts in support of the blow.

Speaking of sword blows, she should never be shown as enjoying it. Although Red eliminated a great many folks, it was always in situations of no alternative/last resort. She is one to use the minimum force necessary to accomplish the purpose.

Comment

I never want to see the Marvel version again. Not because I don't like it, but because I don't really like that version of Conan. I'm much more a Dark Horse Conan guy. I'm actually more interested in the Reed Red Sonja, the one without the oath & who has a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
          I got the same impression. Unfortunate, as there is so very much to be told about the original without resorting to a school of thought/belief that not everyone accepts. They then added insult to injury by having the world she is in quite alien from classic Hyboria. Interesting stories in their own way, but certainly [I]not[[I] Red Sonja as she had been clearly defined.

I got the DE versions out of loyalty to Red, but to me the real her is in the Marvel era. Eric is doing a fine job of picking up her legacy, which is most welcome. We may well have 3 Sonjas, not 4, if he continues in this vein.

A point of uncomfortableness is, perhaps surprisingly, the art. While it is excellent, it has too much of the DE era look and feel. While some of that may be the overall change in comic art since the old days, still a few suggestions: Her hair has a natural wave, not looking like she just stepped out of the shower as currently. This is too early for the 'chainmail bikini' even if only the bottom; use the red shorts that go with the mail shirt (which is correct). Get the stances right, when making a sword cut with the right hand, the left leg is in front, not the right. As the cut is made, the right leg then moves to the front as body weight shifts in support of the blow.

Speaking of sword blows, she should never be shown as enjoying it. Although Red eliminated a great many folks, it was always in situations of no alternative/last resort. She is one to use the minimum force necessary to accomplish the purpose.

you need to take a chilll pill. this is a fictional character not your personal love slave. she doesn't have to be exactly the way you envision her. going so far as to critique hair and fighting stance is bordering on pathetic. no offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
            A point of uncomfortableness is, perhaps surprisingly, the art. While it is excellent, it has too much of the DE era look and feel. While some of that may be the overall change in comic art since the old days, still a few suggestions: Her hair has a natural wave, not looking like she just stepped out of the shower as currently.
            In the early Marvel series she always had a bad haircut. It could have the been the era (late 70's-early 80's) or the artists' lack of skill. The current artist may have been trying to capture that.

Get the stances right, when making a sword cut with the right hand, the left leg is in front, not the right. As the cut is made, the right leg then moves to the front as body weight shifts in support of the blow.
            Most artists do not have the knowledge of how to draw proper sword technique. Even comic veterans like Jim Lee can't seem to get it right. Remember the placement of her hands on the cover of Red Sonja #12?

Comment

Working...
            X