X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadMikeyD
    started a topic Lone Ranger #23

Lone Ranger #23

The final showdown is coming... But not in this issue. This issue deals with the fate of Sheriff Loring, the Ranger's wishes for Linda, Dan and Tonto, and Cavendish being evil just for the sake of being evil. Careillo's art is wonderful, as usual, with even the gruesome scenes not being as gruesome as they could be. The story is advancing, although slower than I'd like, as I'm anxious for the Ranger and Cavendish to come face to face.

I finally have found something in the book that I felt was out-of-character for the Ranger, however. I don't know how modern fans feel about it, but I was disappointed to see the Ranger use "GD." I know he's very emotionally stressed at this point, but I never thought I'd see my hero utter those words, in any situation. If I remeber correctly, Cavendish has used that phrase as well, and while I personally do not approve of that either, at least he is evil, and it would be in character for him. For the Ranger, whose belief system is revealed in the creed, and who is supposed to be our moral compass in the series to use the phrase as seemingly casually as he did, it is completely unneccessary and out of character. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and will not be repeated in the climactic showdown set to play out over the next (final) two issues. I'll get off the soapbox now.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM.

Guest replied
    I finally got the issue. I was very upset to see the ranger use foul language and that particular epithet three times. Totally uncalled for.
    On the other hand, the story is amazing. It's really intense and full of emotion. I know there will be some debate about the Ranger unmasking himself and assisting in a suicide (even if the death was inevitable). But I think the story is as intriguing as any Lone Ranger -- or Western -- that I've seen in some time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
    Don't misunderstand, I wasn't saying the book is slow in a bad way. I'm just saying I really want to see the Ranger and Cavendish finally come face to face. Each issue I think, "Finally, this is it!" And each issue the anticipation only builds. At least, from some penciled pages Sergio Cariello shared on his Facebook page, I can be sure #24 is THE issue where they finally confront each other.

Joe (Lone Ranger) is right, the Lone Ranger is not supposed to curse, ever. My biggest issue, however, wasn't that he simply cursed, but the specific curse he used. That is largely due to my own personal beliefs. I did communicate my disappointment over it to Brett Matthews and, while I personally still disagree with the specific language, I do better understand what Matthews is trying to communicate. I would have wished to demonstrate it in a different way, but he is the writer, so we'll have to leave it at that.

Still, the issue was very good overall, and I can't wait for the next one.
    I get where you are coming from, but when I read it, it didn't even register as a curse as it is so prevalent in our society nowadays. Plus it was to convey how poorly the LR felt at the situation that he put his sister-in-law and nephew in.

Leave a comment:

• MadMikeyD
    replied
    Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
    This Lone Ranger comic is a very exciting can't-wait-to-read book. I don't think it's slow at all. I didn't notice the Ranger cussing but it doesn't seem wrong in Dynamite's version as he does not cuss casually. Not killing for a poor reason seems to be his rule.
    Don't misunderstand, I wasn't saying the book is slow in a bad way. I'm just saying I really want to see the Ranger and Cavendish finally come face to face. Each issue I think, "Finally, this is it!" And each issue the anticipation only builds. At least, from some penciled pages Sergio Cariello shared on his Facebook page, I can be sure #24 is THE issue where they finally confront each other.

Joe (Lone Ranger) is right, the Lone Ranger is not supposed to curse, ever. My biggest issue, however, wasn't that he simply cursed, but the specific curse he used. That is largely due to my own personal beliefs. I did communicate my disappointment over it to Brett Matthews and, while I personally still disagree with the specific language, I do better understand what Matthews is trying to communicate. I would have wished to demonstrate it in a different way, but he is the writer, so we'll have to leave it at that.

Still, the issue was very good overall, and I can't wait for the next one.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fran Striker wrote a very specific code of conduct for the Ranger. He doesn't cuss -- period.

Leave a comment:

• Comic2read
    replied
    This Lone Ranger comic is a very exciting can't-wait-to-read book. I don't think it's slow at all. I didn't notice the Ranger cussing but it doesn't seem wrong in Dynamite's version as he does not cuss casually. Not killing for a poor reason seems to be his rule.
    Last edited by Comic2read; 08-24-2010, 01:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MadMikeyD
    replied
    Indeed. I could tolerate the use of "SOB" during the ambush scene, but the Lone Ranger using this particular curse is really disturbing to me. I've defended this series against all the accusations of the fans who dropped it after the first issue, saying that even though the world is darker, the Lone Ranger remains the same basic character he had always been. This is completely out of character. I know a lot of people will probably think this is a silly thing to be upset about, but this is a truly serious offense in my book.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey Mikey, I've been on vacation and haven't seen the issue yet, but I did see the preview and agree with you. DE went out of bounds on the foul language.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X