The Boys 48

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys 48

Actually worked much better than I had feared. Thoughts?

Chris

I planned to wait till "Highland Laddie" was over, but I'm a little impatient jerk, so I'll read TB 48 today

Comment

Ok, I'm done...

Any bets that the Black Noir is retarded?

The up-and-coming girl with Vough-guy is going to pay a big role in the future (I'm thinking Scully-- err, RAYNER, from the last arc of "Hitman")

Comment

I quite liked it. It's taken for freaking EVER, but people are finally starting to call Butcher on his bullshit.

The one minor complain I have is that Ennis is already trying to hedge his bets for the inevitable "Butcher destroys the Seven all by himself" issue. What's with this "Only Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir are actual threats" crap? Followed directly by "Black Noir has an I.Q. of 12, and Maeve is on our side".

I also liked the fact that Butcher mentioned us. Obviously, WE are the "sarcastic cunts on the Internet" that he talks about at the first of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
          Obviously, WE are the "sarcastic cunts on the Internet" that he talks about at the first of the book.

More likely we are the geeks asking for the Bat-Noir Plane.

What's with this "Only Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir are actual threats" crap? Followed directly by "Black Noir has an I.Q. of 12, and Maeve is on our side".
          Well, given that an apparently invulnerable psycho with an IQ of 12 isn't what I'd call harmless (in fact, the plane scene reminded me of some Friday the 13th movies ), the other three (excluding Starlight) are a speedster and two (supposed) superstrong, ultra-tough flying idiots, so I don't think the Boys can out-brawl them so easily. At least, I hope they can't.

Apart from that, this issue was quite interesting; we're talking about MM and ms.Bradley, of course.
          It's interesting that MM is being revealed as a spineless coward when he's around Billy (come on, would you back off and surrender so easily when you're sure your best friend is playing dirty?). In fact, I am beginning to think the real reason MM is in the team is because he's so easily controlled by Butcher (same trick he pulled on Hughie, btw).
          As for miss Bradley (who shall hereinafter be referred to as "Vought Girl"), it would be amusing if, now that she's passed her exam with the Seven, she will be invited by Vought Guy to a private meeting with lots of lab folks, test tubes and shiny blue powder.

Let's not forget about Frenchie and the Female. Kamakazi is completely right, this wonderful couple fully deserves its own full series. They can go from freaking hilarious to warmly touching to outright creepy better than Mickey and Mallory Knox.

Oh, and bets are open on how many pages will take us to read before we see Monkey hastily disemboweled and buried by Butcher.
          Last edited by Boris; 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
            Oh, and bets are open on how many pages will take us to read before we see Monkey hastily disemboweled and buried by Butcher.
            Director Kessler

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
              Director Kessler
              HA!!!

Butcher's face was simply priceless. Poor, poor Monkey.

Comment

This brings up an point I've been meaning to mention: Despite my rantings, it's not that I think the Seven should ultimately win against The Boys. After all, the book is called "The Boys", not "The Seven", so even I realize that The Seven are going down at some point. I'm just against them being "Paybacked". There are any number of scenarios, many put forth by people on this very board, that would be perfectly satisfactory. I just don't want to see Butcher kill them all with his bare hands.

Oddly enough, I'd be perfectly fine with Vought Guy killing them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                  This brings up an point I've been meaning to mention: Despite my rantings, it's not that I think the Seven should ultimately win against The Boys. After all, the book is called "The Boys", not "The Seven", so even I realize that The Seven are going down at some point. I'm just against them being "Paybacked". There are any number of scenarios, many put forth by people on this very board, that would be perfectly satisfactory. I just don't want to see Butcher kill them all with his bare hands.

Oddly enough, I'd be perfectly fine with Vought Guy killing them all.

I completely agree. This comic's core concept isn't "some cool B-movie badasses bash an evil Justice League", as, in Ennis' words, "the fact we owe our safety and freedom to mostly evil people", and the usual "good vs evil" struggle recast as a cynical "competence vs incompetence" competition.

There are indeed countless satisfactory options to end this scenario. Personally, I would be perfectly fine even with the Seven killing them all (and then being terminated by Vought Guy), or even better with some down and dirty conclusion (for example Hughie and Annie doing the hero thing at last and being badly defeated, or Frenchie and the Female surrendering their bloodlust and discovering humanity just a moment before being slaughtered by a passing-through Black Noir).

If it's gonna be a "Billy Punisher last stand" at all, at least I hope it'll be cruel, with Butcher sacrificing (and even plain betraying) all his pals just to get his chance with the Homelander.

But there are far better options.

Comment

I'm wondering... what will the BUTCHER miniseries be like? any bets on a "Punisher: Born" kind of story?

or maybe I should ask... Is the Butcher mini going to be released?

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
                      I'm wondering... what will the BUTCHER miniseries be like? any bets on a "Punisher: Born" kind of story?

or maybe I should ask... Is the Butcher mini going to be released?

According to an old interview by Ennis & Robertson, the Butcher mini will actually be the team origin issue (how Billy got hired by Mallory and the like), and it's due next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
                        I hope it'll be cruel, with Butcher sacrificing (and even plain betraying) all his pals just to get his chance with the Homelander.
                        That would be awesome. It would also be awesome if Hughie finally grew a brain, and set Homelander and Butcher up to kill each other somehow.

Comment

I liked 48!!

I was very happy to read this issue. It has been a long time coming and it moved the actual plot forward… Enough side plots and sub plots and side-sub-minor plot developments, back to the main story!! I tried to put down why I liked this issue so much:

FANTASTIC COVER!!

MM and Butcher resolve things: Of course Butcher lies to MM, questions his manhood and then appeals to the fact that Vought is forcing the Boys to act now… With all of MM’s talk of death, I’ve got a bad feeling that MM is going to get killed in the final confrontation, I wish I’m wrong, but the “moral conscience” character is always a perfect martyr character. *sigh* It’s the “spinach” (pardon the Popeye reference) for too many stories to count… (ie. At the brink of defeat and death, someone watches MM get his head taken off, and gets instantly invigorated and motivated to avenge his death)

Butcher also obviously insults Frenchman and Female (again) which leads to Frenchie’s talk of the two of them abandoning the team. All the scenes of Frenchman and/or Female “overhearing” the issues between Butcher and MM and Hughie, I guess were leading to them potentially leaving… Hmm, after all the insults, I guess Frenchie is no longer 100% loyal to Butcher…

Director Raynor gets her revenge! Though, as director of the CIA, I would have thought she could have come up with something nastier (and sooner). Glad to see that plot point was not just thrown away. She couldn’t let Butcher’s threats go unanswered…

Vought Girl gets introduced to the team, survives, and impresses Vought Guy with her common sense… You Go, Vought Girl!

Black Noir proves he’s nearly indestructible! (in his own madcap, demented, fun-loving, deadly abusive way) At least he didn’t use the pilot instructor’s intestines as a jump rope or do anything sexual to them… (I just realized that Black Noir is the Female of the Seven… He doesn’t talk and his motivations are his own). Is he retarded? Or are his actions based on the fact he’s nearly indestructible and doesn’t give a crap?! Maybe Black Noir is Jason's brother or Micheal Myer's son?!

And BEST OF ALL! No Hughie and No Annie!!

……………………………….

What's with this "Only Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir are actual threats" crap? Followed directly by "Black Noir has an I.Q. of 12, and Maeve is on our side".
                          I’m betting H-Lander, Maeve and Noir are the only ones The Female couldn’t rip the skin off of (Remember Stormfront was that level of tough)… The Deep is not quite in their league, and Jack will be taken out BEFORE he gets a chance to say his “power word” and get invulnerable (remember the conversation with A-Train at Herogasm? It was a recipe) A-Train will probably get killed by a trip wire or something equally basic and stupid…

It's interesting that MM is being revealed as a spineless coward when he's around Billy (come on, would you back off and surrender so easily when you're sure your best friend is playing dirty?). In fact, I am beginning to think the real reason MM is in the team is because he's so easily controlled by Butcher (same trick he pulled on Hughie, btw).
                          Butcher manipulates MM… No matter how “friendly” Butcher seems, he is always working on his own agenda….I think MM views Butcher as a necessary evil. MM wants to take down Vought, and doesn’t feel he has the ability, the resources or the level of viciousness to do it on his own. If MM loses Butcher, he has to give up on his chance to avenge his brother’s death, his father’s death and his mother’s life of suffering… Not to mention his own suffering… Not to mention 9/11… Butcher knows this and uses it… PLUS, Butcher always has the “I went with you to save your daughter, so you OWE me” guilt going on in MM’s mind… Ultimately, I guess MM may look at it like: “Butcher’s an asshole, but at least I know whose side he’s on, and he can get the job done….”

I agree that a Frenchman / Female Miniseries (or series) would be GREAT!

I guess my question is:

In the end, who will get what they want (if anyone)?

Butcher wants Homelander dead

MM and The Legend want Vought destroyed.

Hughie wants some revenge against A-Train (dead?) and maybe Black Noir?
                          Maybe he'll want revenge against Butcher if he ever figures out how badly Butcher has manipulated him...

Starlight wants A-Train to suffer some consequence for the attempted rape…

A-Train wants Starlight to suffer for blinding him in one eye…

Maeve wants some revenge against Homelander… and a good stiff, HARD.... drink...

The Deep wants a higher percentage of the profits from the Seven.

Jack from Jupiter wants Maeve…

The Legend may also want some revenge for getting his feet cut off… and to come out of hiding...

Mallory may still want some payback for his granddaughters

Homelander wants Butcher dead (and anyone else who messed with him) and wants to rule the world
                          (or at least do whatever he wants and kill whomever he wants without consequence)

Vought Guy wants to remove supes from Vought as a business liability.

Vought Girl wants to impress Vought Guy…

Vought American wants supes in the military and to put Vic the Veep in as president.

Dakota Bob wants Vic the Veep out, and probably would take apart VA if he could…

Monk* -err Director Kessler wants to rub Butcher’s nose in the dirt (and to hook up with a hot paraplegic babe)

Raynor wants to be a Senator…

Bobby Badoing wants a cookie, or cake, or ice cream!

Who knows what Black Noir wants?
                          Last edited by Hot_Ch0c0; 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM. Reason: fixed stuff...

Comment

I'm sorry, Hot_Ch0c0, but you fail.

First, his name is not "Bobby Badoing"; it's Bobby Butfu-- Err... Billy, Billy Badoing (badoing, badoing, badoing!)

And he just wants to find his wee-wee stick.

And bone Auntie Sis.

But he'll have to find his wee wee stick first.

Comment

Working...
                            X