Ideas for new Sonja titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for new Sonja titles

My fervent hope is that someday, Dynamite will publish additional, concurrent regular Sonja storylines. Sort of like of Marvel with their multiple Spider-man runs. (Amazing, Web of, etc.) Ideally, I should be able to walk into my local retailer any week of the month and have a different Red Sonja awaiting. Same world, same character, just different plot-lines.
    Here then, are my proposals.
    Including the Original:
    1.)Red Sonja - She Devil with a Sword.
    2.)Vengeance of - Red Sonja.
    3.)Blood Oath of - Red Sonja.
    4.) Red Sonja - Bride of Battle.
    If the last one is too cheesy, then the current spin-off, Savage Red Sonja should be continued.

I think the production team would have a fit - they've had trouble getting one or two out a month

Be a nice idea , though I reckon the fan base wouldn't be big enough to support it.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terryallenuk
      I think the production team would have a fit - they've had trouble getting one or two out a month

Be a nice idea , though I reckon the fan base wouldn't be big enough to support it.

Terry
      Actually Terry, all the trains are running on time for Sonja and have been since issue 11/12 and we are able to get two Sonja books out a month as we're doing now with Savage Sonja, of which all issues are complete, as is the main series up through #19 with scripts and plots done far ahead of that...

And as for the fan base comment, both series are holding their own and staying level or slightly above the nearest competition... the numbers you run in the REH group do not always accurately portray the ways things actually shake out, FYI...

I follow your remarks with great interest and appreciate your partipation here...

/joe

Comment

Hey Joe, How about continuing the run of Savage Red Sonja? Instead of stopping at #4 and just keep on going..... I am really liking it, and I buy it along with my regular Red Sonja and would/will continue to do so.

Comment

Indeed, continue savage Red Sonja, if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter39
            Hey Joe, How about continuing the run of Savage Red Sonja? Instead of stopping at #4 and just keep on going..... I am really liking it, and I buy it along with my regular Red Sonja and would/will continue to do so.
            There will more titles under the "savage" logo, but this series was planned for four issues, so there's nothing to continue...

/joe

Comment

Originally posted by JRybandt
              There will more titles under the "savage" logo, but this series was planned for four issues, so there's nothing to continue...

/joe

*Just to qualify that, Joe - do you mean more "Savage Red Sonja" titles down the road, such as additional mini-series/one-shot releases, or do you mean more characters from other Dynamite titles such as (for example) "Xena" being released under the "Savage" logo?

Tommy.
              Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy

*Just to qualify that, Joe - do you mean more "Savage Red Sonja" titles down the road, such as additional mini-series/one-shot releases, or do you mean more characters from other Dynamite titles such as (for example) "Xena" being released under the "Savage" logo?

Tommy.
                It was a little early on a Monday mornign for me to be making sense

More Savage Sonja titles, as additional minis...

/joe

Comment

It was a little early on a Monday mornign for me to be making sense

More Savage Sonja titles, as additional minis...

/joe

Heh heh! Awesome! Thanks Joe!

Tommy.
                  Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Can we say copyright infringement? hehehehehehe

Comment

Actually Terry, all the trains are running on time for Sonja and have been since issue 11/12 and we are able to get two Sonja books out a month as we're doing now with Savage Sonja, of which all issues are complete, as is the main series up through #19 with scripts and plots done far ahead of that...

And as for the fan base comment, both series are holding their own and staying level or slightly above the nearest competition... the numbers you run in the REH group do not always accurately portray the ways things actually shake out, FYI...

I follow your remarks with great interest and appreciate your partipation here...

/joe

Hi , I did really mean for my comment on the delays to come across as tongue in cheek as I think you've done well to get back on track with the title . Actually the early delays might have helped me stick with the title . I had planned to see how the first arc went before deciding whether to stick with it , and I wasn't _too_impressed , but as I'd carried on ordering into the second I was pleased to see the title improve and I think Oeming is now getting a good handle on the character on his own.

I know the sales figures are only estimates of orders to shops but if you have firmer figures you could release I'd be pleased to post those.

Regarding my fan base comment that really stems from the suggestion of more titles , with RS having the variant covers more titles might mean that the consumer has less cash to spend picking those up if there were more titles so sales might dip more . I think the same would hold true if DH put out more Conan titles and although I'm looking forward to their new REH titles I do wonder if the market is big enough for them to be a success.

In fact Conan and RS seem to be the only successes in the genre . Sales for Claw , Warlord , Elric , Wolfskin aren't good . Perhaps Marvel will have better success with Magician than the prevous publisher which might turn the tide.

Terry

Comment

I was thinking of having a title that dealt with Sonja in her middle age, maybe in her forties.

Have her Captain of the Guard of some eastern King. Or just living a quiet life back in Hyrakania, not married of course, but forced to take up the sword again to battle invaders/bandits/wizards/whatever.

Comment

Hmm....Sonja in her forties...hmm....that does raise a question, though. I never read the original story with Red Sonya of Rogatine, so I can't help but wonder if Sonja has some great, far-reaching destiny. Conan of course, becomes King. But it seems that R.E.H. didn't develop Sonj(y)a enough to give much thought to her final fate. I would of course, welcome any high-quality, additional concurrent Sonja titles; the longer I have to wait before the next Sonja series or one-shot makes me angrier. Yes...I like Blood Oath of Red Sonja.

Comment

Originally posted by kngdavid01
                            Hmm....Sonja in her forties...hmm....that does raise a question, though. I never read the original story with Red Sonya of Rogatine, so I can't help but wonder if Sonja has some great, far-reaching destiny. Conan of course, becomes King. But it seems that R.E.H. didn't develop Sonj(y)a enough to give much thought to her final fate. I would of course, welcome any high-quality, additional concurrent Sonja titles; the longer I have to wait before the next Sonja series or one-shot makes me angrier. Yes...I like Blood Oath of Red Sonja.
                            The problem Marvel seemed to have was that it appeared that they never really seemed to be going anywhere with the character. Already Oeming seems to be building for the future with Gath perhaps as a recurring adversary.

Hopefully some spin-offs will do future stories ,at the moment they just seem poor variations on what he's doing in the main book.

Marvel did feature an older Sonja who turned up in the Conan book when he was King - she was _still_just travelling around as she used to do with no discernable purpose.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X