Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GARTH ENNIS' JENNIFER BLOOD

deleted & disappointed
    Last edited by Renaud; 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM.

I don't know how I feel about Jennifer Blood playing to the bad stereotype and swinging around a Desert Eagle. Sure, it's big and bad but seems like every over the top, super-bad hitman carries one. Bullet Tooth Tony could pull it off but really the only time since that a DE hasn't felt like a forced pick is when Robin Sherbatsky pulls her out.

On the nigh omnipresent promotional image for the first issue, she's slinging a MAC-10. That strikes me as a good mercenary's paintbrush without being to a tried stereotype. Upon further inspection, she is carrying a DE on her hip, though.

That second cover shows an entirely different rig, though. The pair of revolvers is a nice touch. Classy, I'd even say. The pair of autos at 3 and 9 o'clock positioned with the barrels coplanar to the waist... odd choice. Looks like it would be more of a hassle than it is worth. Also, neither the pair of revolvers nor the semi-autos are clearly modeled after any real life pistol so that detracts somewhat from the vivid authenticity of the previous DE and MAC-10 appearances. The DE on the first cover to #2 is so correctly detailed that it is obvious that it was made sometime in the 2000s after they switched over to the wider tab on the safety.

Still, these covers only make me more interested in this limited series. Looks good. I bet she can do some real damage with that rolling pin.

Comment

When the trade is out, I'm gonna be all over that puppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post

As in what if the Punisher was a woman :-)
        What a unique and clever idea. The first time Ennis had it, I mean.

Comment

Jennifer Blood Issue #3 Cover

Check out issue #3 cover preview located at MTV Geek news:

Comment

It must be easier to accessorize that Beretta than some of the other weapons she has been shown with previously.

Comment

deleted & disappointed
              Last edited by Renaud; 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

deleted & disappointed
                Last edited by Renaud; 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Jennifer Blood #1

Here's a preview at the first few pages of issue #1

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...r-blood-1.html
                  Last edited by WarDog; 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM. Reason: corrected text.

Comment

Jennifer Blood #1

Looks like this issue will be in our local stores on 2/16/2011 according to Diamond distributors. I look forward to this new series from Dynamite Entertainment & Garth Ennis!!

Comment

It was a cool read! Looking forward to #2

Comment

Personally, I found it to be a lame rehash of the Punisher, which is the LAST thing it should have been, given that it's looked like a lame rehash of the Punisher since the moment it was announced.

The whole "psychopathic killer who mixes thoughts of carnage in with everyday activities" thing isn't just old, it's practically paleolithic. Furthermore, it suffers from the same affliction as ALL of Ennis's work: nobody can be just a normal human being. Everyone has to be a goofy cartoon. In this case, we're supposed to be struck by the dichotomy of Jennifer's normal family life, and her second life of extreme brutality. The problem is that she doesn't have a normal family life. Anyone even slightly familiar with Ennis's work knew from the first panel where her husband appeared that he's eventually going to turn out to be a cannibal/rapist. All through the book Ennis gives him the weird little ticks that Ennis uses to signal that there's something evil afoot. So basically, Jennifer is too stupid to see that her own husband is batshit crazy, and probably in an egregiously vile way, and yet we're also supposed to cheer her on as she murders petty thieves and cripples slightly rude mechanics.

Now, if any of this were funny, or better yet, entertaining, I'd be firmly on board. I loved "Welcome Back, Frank", but that was because it was actually funny. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to find amusing about Jennifer Blood. The fact that she drugs her kids? That she whines about having to fire more bullets with smaller caliber ammo? It seems to me that Ennis doesn't even understand the difference between "funny" and "vile" any more, which is why his books just get sicker and less human with every new title. How a human being even managed to puke out something like "Crossed" I'll never understand, but given that "Jennifer Blood" is supposed to be his idea of a "lighter" comic, I can't help but wonder if maybe it isn't time for him to get his ass into therapy.

Comment

Jennifer Blood #2

Diamond distributors reports, in their shipping updates section, that issue #2 will be in stores on 3/9/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                            I'm not sure what I'm supposed to find amusing about Jennifer Blood.
                            I was left with much the same feeling. Or what I'm supposed to find compelling. Right, she's killing "bad guys" but she's not particularly likeable herself because of some of the examples you gave. That she does this while managing to find her valiumed kid's lost sneaker doesn't impress me.

We don't know her reason for being yet, but no doubt it'll be a completely depraved act(s) against her and/or close members of her family so as to make her own depraved behaviour acceptable by comparison.

I actually don't object to that sort of thing but it has to be in support of a good story, not in place of one. I have a feeling that in this case it'll be the latter.
                            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Here's the conclusion to a review that I think pretty well nails it.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/115/1150616p1.html

Jennifer Blood is entertaining enough and will surely give a few 13 year-old boys boners, should they stumble across it perusing their usual superhero fare. However, I would've loved to see a bit more thinking outside of Ennis' comfort zone and create something that relied less on blood, guts, and sex, and more on solid character creation.

Comment

Working...
                              X