X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys: Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker #1 preview

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31881

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by comixfan1980; 04-17-2011, 11:58 PM.

"This is the story I've been waiting to tell since the very beginning of The Boys," says writer Garth Ennis.

...but apparently was too busy writing "Highland Laddie" and the thrilling tale of how Frenchie's dad jousted with baguettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
      "This is the story I've been waiting to tell since the very beginning of The Boys," says writer Garth Ennis.

...but apparently was too busy writing "Highland Laddie" and the thrilling tale of how Frenchie's dad jousted with baguettes.
      The Frenchie story was funny! If you find racial stereotyoes funny. Like me

Comment

Those 3 pages of preview alone are worth thousands of "Highland Laddie vs The Baguette Killer" issues, and they're far better than my best dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
          Those 3 pages of preview alone are worth thousands of "Highland Laddie vs The Baguette Killer" issues, and they're far better than my best dreams.
          Admit it, it's just that you missed Darick Robertson

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
            Admit it, it's just that you missed Darick Robertson
            Hell, I will!

Comment

I can't say i was impressed with what i saw - still, i will read the first issue.

Chris

Comment

that li'l bleeder is gonna yell "Fook me rigid!" and--BOOM!--li'l Butcher's life is gonna change.

Comment

Oh yeah--figured it was worth sharing this here than starting a new tread for it:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32017

Preview art for #56's cover is out. Knowing this book I'm guessing those monkeys aren't recoiling in fear, there's some inconsensual relationship with ear canal and monkey anatomy going on here. Dastardly.

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
                    The Butcher series looks interesting... Like maybe Butcher used to actually have a little brother?

Sir Gibby, Poor Director Kessler (monkey) can't seem to get away from the beastiality, can he?

But, are the green monkeys really monkeys or beast boy/changling type supes?

Hmmm "Doctor Peculiar" = Doctor Strange mixed with Doctor Fate, perhaps?

Comment

Holy CRAP I hope this isn't another "Thrilling Flashback Issue", wherein we finally learn the answer to the mystery that's been haunting us all: "How did Monkey get the nickname 'Monkey'".

The problem isn't that the flashback stuff is boring... even though it is, in fact, incredibly boring. It's that I no longer care. All of this shit should have been worked in to the storyline YEARS back.

The time to answer a question is right after it occurs to the Reader/Viewer to ask it. For example, I used to be a big "Lost" fan. I really wanted to know how Locke ended up in a wheelchair. I trudged on for two years waiting for them to tell me. By the time they finally got around to it, I was no longer watching. Too much time had passed, and I just didn't give a damn any more. That's what's happened to me with The Boys. Any question I might have had, like "How the hell was Blarney Cock the Legend's son?" or "Why did Homelander rape Butcher's wife?" is now irrelevant to me. I feel like I'm on some sort of Fanboy version of the Bataan Deathmarch, struggling grimly on to what will surely be a painful and inglorious end.

Comment

Well, maybe the series will read better as TPBs once it's finished.

And maybe, Billy Badoing will finally find his wee-wee stick. Poor guy. God bless him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Ch0c0 View Post
                          The Butcher series looks interesting... Like maybe Butcher used to actually have a little brother?

Hmmm "Doctor Peculiar" = Doctor Strange mixed with Doctor Fate, perhaps?
                          Choco, you are brilliant pointing out that Butcher may have actually had a little brother. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant--just as Mallory manipulated Butcher, while we've seen him being manipulative to ol' Hugh from day one, here's a possible complete new low for the guy.

Great hypothesis on the doc too. I ordered Ennis' "Thor" run off of Amazon as it is nigh-impossible to find. It was fun. Dr. Strange was quirky, kinda the way Joel Schwhathowwhereverit'sspelled made Batman quirky, just funnier, not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                            The time to answer a question is right after it occurs to the Reader/Viewer to ask it. For example, I used to be a big "Lost" fan. I really wanted to know how Locke ended up in a wheelchair. I trudged on for two years waiting for them to tell me. By the time they finally got around to it, I was no longer watching. Too much time had passed, and I just didn't give a damn any more.
                            I'd debate that the LOST crew created a new type of storytelling: condescending fiction. I think you may have elaborated on it before in these forums actually, someone's opinion of how Hughie--who should know every damn thing there is to superheroes--couldn't recognize Annie. And I'm not arguing how that opinion is invalid; I reckon it's relevant. But the fact that questions never get answered, that for every solution brought there's only 8 sides left "up to interpretation" (if I wanted The Lady and the goddamn Tiger, I would read the goddamn Lady and her goddamn Tiger, drink a gallon of moonshine, and hypothesize in fan-fiction how women and tigers are goddamn stupid before a nuclear bomb took out whatever collesium those oxygen-thieves were occupying. I'd buy a copy of that. Provided I survive the moonshine).

I think Ennis does a good job with closure though, and I'll keep reading based on that. If nothing gets answered and we're left with just smoke and no revelation of the Boys/Seven Fight, I will be first on these boards screaming how I want my money back.

Comment

Well, we never saw a God/Custer confrontation in "Preacher2 either. So maybe you'll be demanding your money back in a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X