Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Boys #55 Recap and Review: Does Mallory really look a bit like Clint?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys #55 Recap and Review: Does Mallory really look a bit like Clint?

Well, stop the presses and hold your breath, because Mallory finally gives up the Final Truth we've all been waiting for 55 freaky issues: Butcher is a psycho.

I know, nobody could have guessed THAT.

There are other little details, like the Mind Shattering Tale about the Origin of the Boys' name (Butcher came with it, because it sounds sooooo bad, like a frightening mafia gang. Yes. And thank him for that, because the second choice was Unit X. Maybe Ennis is sobering up too much. Could be he badly wants a child?).
    Oh, and Butcher killed Vogelbaum, apparently biting something off him, all because Mallory couldn't feel safe knowing something could happen to the poor old man. Makes perfect sense.
    And be grateful McCrea was too shocked to actually let us know WHAT Butcher bit off.

What? Still hungry for MORE?

Ok, what if Mall revealed that the victims of the Homelander Penis Massacre were the pilots of the 9/11 jets and their families? Nasty, isn't it?

And now hear this: Dakota Bob, and NOT the Legend, is the one personally keeping in touch with Butcher, and giving him all the juicy news. Absolutely consistent. After all Billy is the most trustworthy man in the history of the US, immediately after Senator McCarthy and Saddam.

And there goes half the book. Really. We're just half done. More punishment coming.

I guess Ennis bets everyone at this point would be drooling and screaming nuts, insanely trying to figure out what's just happened, so nobody will care about the next pages.
    That's the only explanation, because all in a sudden Hughie realizes he's just a character in a comic and shouts "Enough is ENOUGH! I've had it with these motherfuckin' supes in this motherfuckin' series!", while shooting Mall dead.

No, it's actually something worse: Hughie basically tells Mall to fuck himself, then leaves. THEN he spills all the CIA stuff to Annie, who doesn't realize he's a comic character yet. FINALLY we see Butcher (or, at least, it's implied he's Butcher, but since we don't see him and Ennis is gone mad he could be everyone, even Vought Guy, the Homelander or the spirit of John Wayne.) breaking into Mall's house and threatening him. Mallory, who's also aware this is just a comic and since he cannot take anymore of it, asks Billy to just get over with all this nonsense and kill him, before Ennis tries to put him into another issue.

I wish we all could do the same.

Nice one, mate!

We DID get the answer to one HUGE mystery that's been hanging over us, though: Mallory didn't disguise himself as an Englishman in order that we wouldn't recognize him from the flashbacks. He disguised himself in the flashbacks so we wouldn't recognize him once we saw him in Ireland!

That's right: in not a single f'ing frame of Barbary Coast does Mallory ever look the way he's been drawn in the previous four years of the comic. That means that Mallory knew exactly which moments of his life he'd be shown to a hypothetical extra-dimensional audience, and wore extensive theatrical makeup and a bulky body-suit in order to fool us. You have to hand it to the guy. He's a bloody genius!

Comment

That is because it isn't Mallory in the flashbacks, but the ONE and ONLY Supervillain ever: MALCHEMICAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
        That is because it isn't Mallory in the flashbacks, but the ONE and ONLY Supervillain ever: MALCHEMICAL!
        Godammit, Boris! Stop reading my mind!

Comment

Don't forget the part where Mallory somehow transforms from "Vought American Consolidated is EVIL. They are responsible for the deaths of my men (and many others) and I'm hell bent on stopping them from completing their EVIL schemes" to " *sniff* *sniff* I'm sorry I created a vehicle for Butcher to be released on poor Vought American and their supes.... I think my sorry ass needs another drink... I just wanna die and be done with it...."

Even Hughie punked Mallory by the end...

Anyone else wonder why Mallory sent Butcher to finish Vogelbaum? Dr. V. was no one special and ANY of his CIA handlers could have finished him quick, easy and professionally... Why not just poison his prune juice?

How could MALLORY an name spoken in hushed whispers with the utmost reverence (even implied from Butcher) go from "Superspy" to "Superturd" in four short issues? Butcher could have killed Mallory long ago... And probably WOULD have, as his first move when Dakota Bob green-lighted recreation of The Boys...

I guess Butcher's going to kill MM, next... And what use is Hughie, Anyway?

Hughie can't fight.
          Hughie can't properly do surveillance.
          Hughie can't go undercover.
          Hughie can't figure out any investigation without someone feeding him information and pointing him in the right direction.
          Hughie can't even follow orders correctly, and dump his supe girlfriend.

WAIT! I've figured it out: Hughie is going to be a sexual distraction for Black Noir while Butcher kills Homelander and the rest of the Seven!

Now, finally, something makes sense....

Comment

Maybe he'll dress Hughie as a choir boy and send him to fight the black dude from Believe. You, blackpedowhatshisname.

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
              Maybe he'll dress Hughie as a choir boy and send him to fight the black dude from Believe. You, blackpedowhatshisname.
              I think his name was "Oh!Father". Seriously. I think that was his name.

Also, to add to Hot's post: Not only is it seriously retarded that Mallory sent Butcher to kill Vogelbaum, it's COSMICALLY retarded that we're supposed to have forgotten that we were shown in the Female's origin that the Japanese are capable of fabricating V by the bucketload. Ennis can't even be arsed to remember his own plot points these days. "V is 20 Billion a pop! Oh, wait, no, it's cheap enough to be used as a street drug! No, it's artificially expensive because we kidnapped Vogelbaum. No, anyone can create it. No..."

Hot's point about Hughie is also right on the money. There is absolutely no explaining why the Butcher that's been described in the last four issues would have brought Hughie on board in the first place. The Butcher that Mallory described would have found the most sociopathic serial killer he could lay his hands on, and doped THAT guy up with V.

...and just to blindly repeat something Boris said, in hopes that people will forget he said it first: What kind of complete loser do you have to be when HUGHIE punks you out? Quentin T. Mallory the III, Destroyer of Worlds, loses a round of The Dozens with friggin' Wee Hughie.
              Last edited by Kamakazi; 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I won't see this--nor 54--probably for another month or so. My wife sends 'em out here to Afghannyland once in a blue moon when she gets a chance to pick up comics, which ain't really her personal MO.

So the Cockgate incident was the pilots from 9/11. Closure, sure. But reading that here knocked the wind out of my sails. Boris, damn right, that's nasty.

I mean the back-and-forthing (backstory, backstory, bent-over-backstory), it sounds tedious. Ennis has spent more time building the world of The Boys than he has his supporting cast who, for the most part, are pretty fucking cool. I hope we see more with these characters and less with the VA folk, although I doubt it's going to happen.

So am I getting this right...Butcher (unseen "Ah, it's you, get it over with") finds Mallory (he ever take Compound V?) after hours and murders him? This, the same bastid whose face we don't even see for 49 issues, is so neutered? That's a let down, man. Fuckin drag.

If it isn't Butcher? It's someone who obviously creeps in the night. 3 candidates. Vaught Guy (no fucking duh at this point). Black Noir (I gotta assume he can just do...like...shadowy stuff. And if he has such high standards for soldiers, he hadda built that somewhere). Butcher, fook me rigid, I've only read through 53 and I can't see why he'd do it. Maybe it's more clear after 54 and 55.

Hope you all are well.

Comment

It has to be Butcher. They don't show him, but from the writing it's clearly Butcher.

"Yeah. I wondered why MM was givin' in so easily. Only way it made sense is if he'd handed things over to you."

Of the three people it could possibly be: Butcher, Vought Guy, and Homelander (and it'd be awesome if it actually WERE Homelander) only Butcher talks like that.

Comment

ah, fook me rigid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                      It has to be Butcher. They don't show him, but from the writing it's clearly Butcher.

"Yeah. I wondered why MM was givin' in so easily. Only way it made sense is if he'd handed things over to you."

Of the three people it could possibly be: Butcher, Vought Guy, and Homelander (and it'd be awesome if it actually WERE Homelander) only Butcher talks like that.
                      When you wrote that quote it finally sunk in.... After all that gabbing about his personal history, Mallory conveniently FORGETS to tell Hughie that Butcher set Hughie up with The Magnificent Malchemical and Super Dooper...

What better way to convince Hughie that Butcher can't be trusted than to reveal that little tidbit about how he set Hughie up?... BUT, NOOooo... Mallory can't stop wallowing in his own past misery long enough to give Hughie CURRENT vitally important intel...

Why go all the way to friggin Scotland to get a "field assessment" of Hughie if all Mallory is going to do is whine to him, then roll over and die? I guess ol' Mallory wanted to go undercover with his British accent one more time before the end...

Comment

What does Butcher spit out?

What is it that Butcher spits out after he kills Vogelbaum? It must be pretty interesting to get its own panel on the next page, but I have no idea what it is. Vogelbaum's tongue? A piece of his heart? What?

It's making me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by superhamster View Post
                          What is it that Butcher spits out after he kills Vogelbaum? It must be pretty interesting to get its own panel on the next page, but I have no idea what it is. Vogelbaum's tongue? A piece of his heart? What?

It's making me crazy.
                          It looks like a heart artery.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Ch0c0 View Post
                            When you wrote that quote it finally sunk in.... After all that gabbing about his personal history, Mallory conveniently FORGETS to tell Hughie that Butcher set Hughie up with The Magnificent Malchemical and Super Dooper...

What better way to convince Hughie that Butcher can't be trusted than to reveal that little tidbit about how he set Hughie up?... BUT, NOOooo... Mallory can't stop wallowing in his own past misery long enough to give Hughie CURRENT vitally important intel...

Why go all the way to friggin Scotland to get a "field assessment" of Hughie if all Mallory is going to do is whine to him, then roll over and die? I guess ol' Mallory wanted to go undercover with his British accent one more time before the end...
                            Even worse, what's the whole point of "The Barbary Coast"?

We now know that Butcher is as nuts as the Homelander (even more, because at least Homie has been raised and trained that way since his birth, so he can't be held truly responsible for his actions). So what? We've caught that detail some 30 issues ago.

We now know the (duuuull and boooooring) full story of Mallory, which at this point I wish it never was told.

Mall doesn't even explain how he got in league with Butcher, because of the incoming mini.

The only useful new piece of plot is that the Legend screwed Maeve. Ok, hooray for the man, but...so what???

For a brief moment I hoped that at least Mall could provide some info about Frenchie and the Female. At least. But not even that.

So, four whole issues (plus Highland Laddie!!!) just to have Hughie spill the truth to Annie and leave us disappointed with Greg "Nick Fury gone senile" Mallory.

Sad.

(In the picture, Mallory fights Killer Croc, in his mini "Greg Mallory kills the DC Universe", coming next Christmas)

Comment

There were some good points about this issue.

Hughie actually starts growing a backbone. And he confesses to Annie. And the origin of 'The Boys' moniker made sense. And...umm...err...umm...err...

...I'll get back to you on that.

But I think there are just too many glitches in the plot now. I confess that I liked the old Butcher, the one we saw in the first three stories. And Hughie's recruitment made sense; he WAS someone who was badly hurt by superpower. And he isn't the type of person who will let that kind of power go to his head. Butcher wouldn't have wanted a socopath who couldn't be trusted to always go at the right people. But then Hughie turned into a joke and Butcher's past was rewritten.

I thought that Mallory was 'merely' Hughie's predessor. You see, it would have made much more sense if BUTCHER founded The Boys. I could see a Butcher-Dakota Bob alliance if Butcher was the founder. In fact, work this in to the plot - Dakota Bob was Bush41's VP; Butcher and The Boys get their funding pulled after Clinton gets shaken by a nasty clash between The Boys and a supe team. Dakota Bob brings them back after two terms of Slick Willy have even more supes running wild.

But then things would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

I liked the origin story of V, but not how it was used. Perhaps the Germans created it and tried to use it, but they didn't have any real sucess. V got into the environment and started creating supes later on (some juck science could explain this) and the supes have started getting more and more powerful. This wouldn't alter real history that much.

But the whole VA plot aspect is retarded.

And the worst of it is that no one can take the general idea and do a much better job because Ennis got their first. OH! There's no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X