Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures of Red Sonja TPB V.4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Largo View Post
    The description page for volume 4 says it "features stories from Savage Sword of Conan" and seeing that Dark Horse began it's SSoC TPB series in December 2007 (two months after The Adventures of RS TPB vol 3 came out) I wonder if DE lost or failed to acquire the rights to SSoC.
    Now, I *could* be wrong about this, but I think DE's rights to reprint Red Sonja stories pretty much cover any story that didn't also feature Conan (or any other REH-created character), regardless of where the Red Sonja story first appeared. So if the Savage Sword issues in question contain Sonja solo stories in which Conan or other REH characters don't appear, Dynamite should have the right to reprint them. Perhaps it's more of a question of sales on the first 3 volumes not being as good as they need to be.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

    Comment


    • #32
      I take back what I said above. DE did reprint a few solo Sonja stories from SSoC in Giant-Size Red Sonja #2 (2007) and Classic Red Sonja Re-Mastered #1-4 (2010). So there goes that theory...

      Speaking of Sonja and Conan, I also noticed that Dark Horse's Chronicles of Conan trades, which reprint Marvel's Conan the Barbarian series, included Sonja stories in volumes 4, 5, and 7 (Sonja even appeared on the cover of volume 7 [darkhorse.com]). However, later editions--apparently after DE started the current RS series--excluded stories featuring Sonja. Examples:

      CoC vol 9 (January 2006) reprints CTB 60-65 and 69-71. Sonja was in 66-68.

      CoC vol 10 (March 2006) reprints CTB 72-77 and 79-81. Sonja was in issue 78.

      I wonder if stories involving Conan and Sonja are in some licensing grey area in which neither DE or DH can reprint them...

      Comment


      • #33
        Dynamite can reprint Sonja's stories that feature Conan as long as the original story appeared in a Sonja comic, Dark Horse can reprint stories that featured Sonja as long as it was originally in a Conan comic. Thats why Dynamite could reprint "Marvel Presents Red Sonja" mini series that had a crossover with Conan, but couldnt reprint the parts that took place in Marvels Conan.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
          Dynamite can reprint Sonja's stories that feature Conan as long as the original story appeared in a Sonja comic, Dark Horse can reprint stories that featured Sonja as long as it was originally in a Conan comic. Thats why Dynamite could reprint "Marvel Presents Red Sonja" mini series that had a crossover with Conan, but couldnt reprint the parts that took place in Marvels Conan.
          Well, I suppose that's a more reasonable arrangement than just prohibiting both Dark Horse and Dynamite from reprinting any story featuring both characters. In the latter case, it makes for a lopsided view of events, but I guess it can't be helped. Has Dark Horse reprinted Conan's part of the crossover? I take it that the previously-mentioned stories from Savage Sword of Conan were crossover appearances then, as opposed to Sonja solo features. Or can Dynamite not even reprint any Sonja solo stories if they first appeared in a title with the name CONAN?
          Last edited by positronic; 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by positronic View Post
            Well, I suppose that's a more reasonable arrangement than just prohibiting both Dark Horse and Dynamite from reprinting any story featuring both characters. In the latter case, it makes for a lopsided view of events, but I guess it can't be helped. Has Dark Horse reprinted Conan's part of the crossover? I take it that the previously-mentioned stories from Savage Sword of Conan were crossover appearances then, as opposed to Sonja solo features. Or can Dynamite not even reprint any Sonja solo stories if they first appeared in a title with the name CONAN?
            While not an expert on copyright law and licensing, my understanding is that the problem lies with both characters being in the same story, rather than a solo story being in SSOC. Episode, which first appeared in Conan 48, has been reprinted, which tends to support the idea. There are several that would probably be legal: Wizards of the Black Sun (SSOC 23), Master of Shadows (45, originally intended to be # 16 in first RS series), The Day of the Sword (78), Phantasm (153), Infant Terrible (157), Endless Stair (169), The Waif and the Warrior (172), Chains (178), Red Sonja Quells the Song of the Siren (187), Red Sonja on the Road of Kings (192), Road to Zamboula (194), Swordless in Zamboula (195), Diverging Paths (207), All in the Game (208), Battles Lost and Won (209), End of the Road (210) (208-210 if reprinted should also be redrawn as the art goes from horrible to ghastly), A Bride for Varitra/Lady for the Burning (229), The Ring of Ikribu (230-233)(reprinted). Savage Sword ended at 235, so it's nice that Sonja was in there right up to the end.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
              this is ridiculous. because of the nonsense involving this one simple book, i have officially decided that I will not be purchasing it..... if it ever comes out. Dynamite, why do you make it so hard to be a red sonja fan?
              They have no concept of how a character that has been around for 40 years can attract a large and devoted following, including many from her first Marvel run (which went for 22 years - 1973 to 1995). As someone here pointed out, their professionalism is low, as shown by their record of many missed ship dates, long waits for comics/books, and lack of updates. Would not be surprised if most of their titles had similar problems. The suits running things seem intent only on the financial element, ignoring that the human element (us) is what keeps them going. They evidently do not know - let alone follow - Clausewitz's dictum, "Take care of your people, and your people will take care of you."

              Comment


              • #37
                Le'sigh.

                I really want this book so I can complete my plans to eventually have all my Sonja comics (including appearances in Conan) bound into hard backs....though I have a feeling if vol.4 ever does come out some stories will be missing.

                As for the question about the Conan/Sonja crossover issues beings reprinted, I believe the Conan issues were reprinted by DH in their collected editions, they should be in the volumes that include Belit.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                  Le'sigh.

                  I really want this book so I can complete my plans to eventually have all my Sonja comics (including appearances in Conan) bound into hard backs....though I have a feeling if vol.4 ever does come out some stories will be missing.

                  As for the question about the Conan/Sonja crossover issues beings reprinted, I believe the Conan issues were reprinted by DH in their collected editions, they should be in the volumes that include Belit.
                  The stories that have Conan, Belit, and Red Sonja were not included in the DH trades. You will just have to buy the old comic issues if you want to read them. Luckily, the issues in question are very cheap, and easy to find online.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Hello,

                    We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on January 10 2012 (Order# 203-8669971-8045959).

                    Frank Thorne, Roy Thomas "Adventures of Red Sonja Volume 4: v. 4 (Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword)"

                    We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

                    If you'd prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account on the link below:
                    ARRRRRRGH!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Frank Thorne, Roy Thomas "Adventures of Red Sonja Volume 4: v. 4 (Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword)"
                      Estimated arrival date: March 31 2014 - April 02 2014
                      Woohoo?.....

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        New estimated arrival date: January 11 2014 - January 14 2014
                        Its changed date again yay!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Frank Thorne, Roy Thomas "Adventures of Red Sonja Volume 4: v. 4 (Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword)"
                          Estimated arrival date: July 12 2014 - July 15 2014


                          Ho Hum...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Well I've give up waiting for this and am now tracking down the Savage Sword issues with Sonja.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X