The stump...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stump...

"You cut the tree down to build the house. It doesn't mean you don't miss the shade."
    That's a pretty deep quote. I'd like to engage in a little English Lit 101 and see what that means to each of you. I'll chime in later with my thoughts.

(*Ooooh! Excellent! I'll be back to this one shortly, once I've cleared my slate...! )

Tommy.
    Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Could it have something to do with the building and closing of the West. Or is it an allusion to the book itself or a comment on the industry's tendency to "chop down trees" to build new "houses". You know Infinite,ultimate, civil houses where people look familiar but feel estranged. Its a great quote I hope it reappears later we'll see if becomes LR's and DE's "with grat power..."

Comment

To me it says that no decision should come lightly, as every decision has consequences. If you cut down the tree, you will not have the shade. Shelter is more important than shade, however, so you must cut down the tree. I'm sure the "bad man" John's father killed had placed him in a "him-or-me" situation. He had to kill him in order to survive (or to save someone else). Of course, the "bad man" probably had at least a mom, if not a wife and kids, who now have to deal with the loss. He made the only choice he could, and now others must deal with the consequences.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Sounds to me like you nailed it, MadMikeyD.

Bjarne
          www.comiczone.dk

Comment

wonderful insight, I bow to you MadMikeyD.

Comment

I think MadMikeyD is onto something. My thoughts are very similar. I think the tree represents man. Every man/tree naturally has something to contribute. Even though you make your world a better place by removing the man/tree, you still take away his/its contribution to the world.

Comment

That part in #1 has resonated with me since I read it. Great dialog! It also served the story in that we realise John Reid is no idiot & his father's teachings have hit home to our hero!

Comment

foreshadowing

Does anyone think that theres more to the bad man than John's dad let on? Maybe, he gunned him down in front of his boy or brother or family. Could he have something to do with the Cavendish gang? I'm not sure that the stump and the bad man are totally gone from the series I can see them cropping up later.

Comment

Yes, as with most great story telling it is important to conect the dots, so-to-speak.

Comment

Working...
                    X