Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The idea of a shared universe, could it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The idea of a shared universe, could it work?

I was thinking about this the other day, what if Vampirella, Phantom, Sonja, Hornet, WoM, Bionic Man, Thunder and other non PSP or Kirby characters all shared the same universe with eachother and eventually met up? Would fans like this or would they be upset by this? I thought it was an interesting question and figured I would share it with you all.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

It sounds very Wold Newton considering the way that each of these exists

I think you would have to start by easing people into the crossovers, start with whicher starts earliest

then show a cascade of events that leads into the one taking place in the most modern times

Start with Red Sonja I think, show how actions in these comics carry over into the next one on teh timeline

Each comic would be a two shot comic special for the series I think! Showing definitively indirect interaction, butterfly effects rather than direct crossovers.

Like you could show how some barsoomian technology ended up on earth and integrated into the bionic man (I havent read the bionic man though so I dont know much)

which could later lead into the crossover with the bionic man goign to mars trying to discover the secrets of his internal nature, perhaps to repair some obscure part of himself

Red Sonja is a very sword and sorcery oriented series I believe (I havent seen much beyond the original movie) It could mesh well with warlord of mars series (maybe even offering the dynamite series explanation for John Carters advent upon mars?)

You owuld need a good writer, and you would need to ease people into it slowly instead of hitting people with it all at once.

If it does happen, I would want to see the bionic man on mars . . . . Iknow not much of bionic men, but I know taht they are part robot and pretty strong upon earth, them on mars would be awesome

Comment

The cosmic Kirby stuff could actually help make this sort of thing happen among characters from totally different "realities".

I would be open to it to a degree. I have no interest in seeing the Green Hornet take on barbarians after being teleported to Red Sonja's time. I could see something happen to Buck Rogers though since he has time travel in his history.

I have wondered too whether a good mystery story might be possible involving the Hornet and the Lone Ranger. Hornet stumbles into some 100 year old peice of evidence to a crime that Ranger tried to solve back in his day. Done well, that could be kind of cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        The cosmic Kirby stuff could actually help make this sort of thing happen among characters from totally different "realities".

I would be open to it to a degree. I have no interest in seeing the Green Hornet take on barbarians after being teleported to Red Sonja's time. I could see something happen to Buck Rogers though since he has time travel in his history.

I have wondered too whether a good mystery story might be possible involving the Hornet and the Lone Ranger. Hornet stumbles into some 100 year old peice of evidence to a crime that Ranger tried to solve back in his day. Done well, that could be kind of cool.
        I dont know much about Buck Rogers but I know it involves space travel to a certain degree, just a casual jaunt to barsoom . . . .or barsoom being a part of the Buck rogers world

Does it have aliens, a Thark bartender would be a good way to start breaking the walls beetween buck rogewrs and warlord of mars

Comment

I don't really like this idea. I think Red Sonja and Vampirella have really distant universes, and i will find quite strange to discover they walk on the same ground

Comment

Originally posted by Perfida View Post
            I don't really like this idea. I think Red Sonja and Vampirella have really distant universes, and i will find quite strange to discover they walk on the same ground
            Something like that would only happen if there was some kind of "boom tube" or something that could allow travel between dimentions or something like that. I don't think it would work if it was the same world, but the same universe or the use of parallel times could be a good example on how to bring them together.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I think only certain ones should be crossedover

I would really like to see Buck Rogers adn warlord crossover, I have now read a few issues of buck rogers . . .. very interesting series that seems to have been cut short

I think the crossover could explain how mars was breathable (when only a few shrubs flourished) and it could explain the plague upon mars, maybe a disease picked up from the natives

there are cool possibilities with crossovers

maybe not a shared universe all across, but individual crossovers could be cool

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                Something like that would only happen if there was some kind of "boom tube" or something that could allow travel between dimentions or something like that. I don't think it would work if it was the same world, but the same universe or the use of parallel times could be a good example on how to bring them together.
                Yeah, a Crisis on Infinite Earths type of crossover. That's why I was thinking about the Kirby characters being facilitators. Something they do could cause an effect of some kind over the various other realities.

Might be a way to introduce some of the Chaos characters too.

It would be challenging but I would try to work it so that casual fans could continue buying the regular series without skipping a beat. I tried to avoid some of these huge crossovers when I was still buying DC but invariably, during one, I would get an issue of one of my regulars and not know what the hell was going on. That's irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  I was thinking about this the other day, what if Vampirella, Phantom, Sonja, Hornet, WoM, Bionic Man, Thunder and other non PSP or Kirby characters all shared the same universe with eachother and eventually met up? Would fans like this or would they be upset by this? I thought it was an interesting question and figured I would share it with you all.
                  I think you could get some to work easier than others.
                  The easy ones as I see it could be: Phantom, Hornet, Bionic Man, Thunder and Vampirella. All of these are seemingly taking place in the "now" if I'm not mistaken.

You could then have a 'cosmic set' with Warlord, Buck Rogers and the Kirby Characters. The Kirby characters or the more cosmic of the lot could act as a 'bridge' between them. Warlord would act as your 'Turok' of the universe, the most "outdated" least connected character.

Frankly I think crossovers with PSP and the licenesed DE properties of Phantom, Hornet and Vampriella would be the easiset route to getting the proverbial feet wet of a larger DE shared universe. The problem becomes how long do these licenses last? Could/would DE renew them to keep the shared universe experiment going?

Comment

Coming back to this after seeing someone lament the lack of Jungle Girl books.

I guess that's the downside of a "non-shared" universe. If your favourite characters don't have a book, probably they're not showing up anywhere else either. With Marvel/DC, if you're into a character that doesn't have his or her own book, you'll still likely get some exposure at some point, whether in a team book, as a guest-appearance, whatever.

That makes me lean towards the idea of a "occasionally" shared universe just a bit more. I think I would...

-Have a "Dynamite Event #1" issue to set the stage, have a bunch of team up issues, and a "Dynamite Event #2" conclusion, similar to how the JSA was reintroduced years ago. Much like when Marvel sent out teasers about the Avengers membership, Dynamite could do the same with its team-up books; gradually reveal them.

-Try to do it in a way that incorporates a character that is presently published with one that isn't.

-Mix it up between characters that have similar settings and those that couldn't be more different. To go back to Jungle Girl, I'd have to decide between teaming her with The Phantom or with Captain Victory. I think the decision would be based more on the level of "fantasy" of each character's usual setting.

The challenge would be to make the middle issues as accessible as possible for those who don't want to buy the "bookends" and conversely make the bookends clear for those who don't want to buy all the middle issues. There are some Dynamite characters that I frankly could care less about. I would not want to feel "forced" to buy a Bionic Man/Robocop issue in order to properly follow a story.

The amount of variety in the Dynamite "stable" makes this a very interesting topic.

Comment

Well!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=34346

Barrucci: We have not done event crossovers to date, but we are planning an event crossover next year. At lease one, possibly more. Looking at the numbers alone, the conventional wisdom is correct. Having event crossovers increases sales and the event model is not the only way, but today it is one of the major ways to increase sales. Is it the best way to corner the comics market, fans/retailers/publishers can debate both sides of that. Is it a way to create more awareness for your characters? Yes and getting more consumers to purchase more comics especially more of each respective publisher’s comics is important to each respective publisher.

Comment

Working...
                      X