Who owns Thundarr?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns Thundarr?

Produced by Ruby-Spears. Could Dynamite pick up this license?

With Ross on designs channeling a bit of Kirby and a bit of Toth, the fantastic source material and setting, It'd make a great book.
    As far as I know it's never had a comic. And with Dynamite picking up other animated licenses (Voltron) Maybe it's about time somebody tried this one.
    Last edited by Guicho; 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM.

I want to say that I once heard that Thundarr was in the Hannah Barbera library which puts it in the Time Warner empire alongside DC comics.

Comment

Warner Brothers released the series on DVD (as a Hanna Barbara series).
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

oh god . . . . that would be . . . .soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome

Comment

Thundarr was a great show. It got good ratings and was only canceled because the network jumped on the "live" Saturday morning show bandwagon. If they can bring back Thundercats......! Oh yeah, I'd buy the comic, DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo View Post
            I want to say that I once heard that Thundarr was in the Hannah Barbera library which puts it in the Time Warner empire alongside DC comics.
            Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
            Warner Brothers released the series on DVD (as a Hanna Barbara series).
            So they bought it from Ruby-Spears? That's to bad, WB/DC for better or worse have so much on their plate already, they already ignore most all their Hanna Barbera Adventure heroes - Space Ghost, Bird-Man, Johny Quest, Herculoides, ...etc, now add this one to the pile they are just sitting on. With even their own characters struggling, they probably have little impetus to go out of their way to promote Thundarr.

Although they did recently give Space Ghost a fair try, in his own mini-series, with gorgeous covers by Ross. I'm not sure how well it was received?
            So yeh, while a smaller company may see the advantage/gain of having and promoting a character like Thundarr, it's probably way in the background for WB/DC'.
            Last edited by Guicho; 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I have no idea who owns Thundarr.

But I do know that Thundarr owns my heart.

-E

Comment

Space Ghost appeared on a recent episode of Brave & The Bold so there is hope.
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Surely Thundaar would not be a hard title to get, I mean they just now after 150 years (Just kidding about the time) it has come to dvd. NO ONE wanted to pick it up for dvd, so how hard could it be to get the rights to bring it to DE? The subject matter would be wide open for anyone to take it and run with it. throw in a couple of Jusko covers and we are off and running. LORDS OF LIGHT!, DEMON DOGS! come on DE bring it on.

Comment

I would kill to do Thundarr or especially THE HERCULOIDS!!

Comment

Originally posted by joe jusko View Post
                      If this is the REAL Joe Jusko it's about time you have made your voice heard hear on the DE forums! Man, Joe I have been slaving away here for DE to give you more covers for Vampirella, and YES if DE does get Thundarr they sure as hell better get you not only the #1 issue cover, but every issue after that! I would go on bragging about your Warlord of Mars covers but I have said that enough on Deviant Art. Glad you are here Joe.
                      Last edited by comichero; 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by comichero View Post
                        Surely Thundaar would not be a hard title to get, I mean they just now after 150 years (Just kidding about the time) it has come to dvd. NO ONE wanted to pick it up for dvd, so how hard could it be to get the rights to bring it to DE?
                        Probably very hard if in fact Time Warner-WB/DC now owns it. They'd probably rather sit on it doing nothing until they want, rather than offer it to a rival company.
                        There was this unusual partnering with Dynamite's Sonja and DC's Claw, so who knows, maybe it's possible. Although DC was still the one publishing Claw, it was more of a crossover.

Originally posted by joe jusko View Post
                        Man I would kill to see you on either of those. The Herculoids is sadly another license WB/DC is just sitting on without doing anything with it for years.

Could Dynamite strike a special deal to be the ones to develop WB's idle Hanna-Barbera line of characters?
                        How would that work?

Last edited by Guicho; 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X