Lone Ranger #2 Review **SPOILERS**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Ranger #2 Review **SPOILERS**

Linked on Newsarama, Comic Book Resource, and The Comics Review Forums...

Hope you like it
    Last edited by KrAzYeTy; 10-18-2006, 11:53 PM.

I agree issue 2 was amazing. I read it 3 times already.

I love how badass Tonto is and enjoy that there is obviously a back story to this character that I can't wait to find out.

The "How" on the first page made me laugh out loud.

The "How are you alive" and Tonto's suprise shows John's sheer willpower as well I think.

All in all another great issue!

MikeM

Comment

Sound like another great issue. I can't wait to go pick up my copy this afternoon!
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Oooh! I don't care that there were spoilers - now I'm wanting to read this issue even more! Thanks, KrAzYeTy!

Tommy.
        Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

At first glance (I'll give it a more thorough read after work), I have mixed feelings. I'm highly disappointed in the gore and Tonto's violent side. I do like the mysteries and the intrigue developed in the storyline. I'm glad that Black Bart hasn't replaced Butch Cavendish. I hate having to wait another issue before we see the masked man, but I'm sure the good folks at Dynamite Entertainment will make it well worth the wait.

Comment

I must say that I am loving the new series. The only thing that has me disappointed right now has to do with the ambush. Tonto says there were 10 bandits. I went back to issue 1 and counted - 10. This means that Cavendish, while responsible for hiring the killers, was not even present at the ambush. That's a change that disappointed me, as in all the other versions of the story Cavendish was right there. I'm sure the creative team will still turn out a good story, but I wanted that guy who looked like Glenn Strange (he played Cavendish in the TV show) in issue 1 to be Cavendish. Oh well.

Now onto the really exciting part - they printed my letter on the letters page! I'm the guy with the 2 hour drive.
            DECODER RING THEATRE
            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
            PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
            PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Just finished it and man it was worth the wait. My man Tonto seems to know more about John than he is letting on (hopefully they'll work in some of Tonto's and John's classic origin) both as a stranger or perhaps more. Also the "how" bit works on so many levels. Besides the obvious comedy could it have something to do with the previously mentioned classic origin. Black Bart man that was different I he reminded me of Kareem Abdul Jabar's character from Game of Death but Bart's far more nasty. Nice to see some Black bad men in the west who aren't the typical Bad@$$ blackman characters. Can't wait to find out who ordered the ranger's ambush. I just hope it isn't a woman (because of all the secrecy) or even worse John's mom. Sorry forgot this is DE not DC. One last thing don't forget the stump I suspect it plays a part later on in the sreies especially with the Cavendish/unseen malefactor's identity.

Comment

Lone Ranger 2 is Fantastic!

The Lone Ranger #2 was an excellent read. From Tonto’s PC “How” embellishment on the first couple of panels to the darkly, emotive undertones of the entire issue, this was a great, cinematic movie played out on paper. Tonto’s stronger edge perfectly serves as a grounded counterpart for John Reid’s tumultuous and confused state as he awakens to the deaths of his father and his other deceased Ranger compatriots. Brett’s script along with Sergio’s beautiful line work and Dean’s muted colors make for a moody yet combustive mix of pathos, drama and action.

The Lone Ranger has elements of The Batman thrust into a brutal, Wild West setting. The atmospheric panels enshrouded in darkness and the introduction of mysterious and gruesome characters greatly complement and build upon an established mythos. I never thought the Lone Ranger could be this good! This was definitely the best comic book I’ve read this week.

Comment

KrAzYeTy - I just love your reviews!

This was a great issue! While I'm a big fan of Highlander (which also came out last week) I've got to say Lone Ranger #2 was the best of the week!

Comment

That coming from someone who does excellent reviews is a great compliment, and I thank you.

Great site you have, there!! (added to favorites)

Comment

Originally posted by KrAzYeTy
                      That coming from someone who does excellent reviews is a great compliment, and I thank you.

Great site you have, there!! (added to favorites)
                      Thanks! I just write the truth. LOL. Although those I wrote last night seemed a little stale when I re-read them this morning. I'm trying to do better.

Comment

Older review

Review of issue 2 from Bookgasm (Reading material to get excited about) posted 11/06. It made me laugh out loud!--Cindy

THE LONE RANGER #2 (Dynamite) Holy schnikes! Tonto is a badass! He ain’t no kemosabe sidekick here! I am so excited! Exclamation point! I love this book. Dynamite’s reinvention of The Lone Ranger continues to gather steam as an unconscious Ranger meets a “don’t give me your shit, white man” Tonto for the first time, as well as the origin of the Ranger’s eye-mask. Sure, the actual plot is shaping up to be a basic tale of revenge, but what a tale it’s going to be. Between all the gunfights and gore, this book is giving JONAH HEX a real run for its money, not only in the admittedly small Western genre, but as one of the five best comic books currently being published, period.

Comment

Working...
                        X