Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post
    I know Marvel/Disney owns them I'd love to see Dynamite's take on Crossgen's Sojourn title. I loved that title and hated when it ended prematurly. I was hoping Marvel would do something with them but they never did. Shame too, as it was a fantastic read.
    Don't think of it as "they never did", think of is as "they haven't YET". They'll get around to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
      Don't think of it as "they never did", think of is as "they haven't YET". They'll get around to it.
      Unfortunately, sales for the Crossgen revival titles were abysmal, among Marvel's lowest.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Unfortunately, sales for the Crossgen revival titles were abysmal, among Marvel's lowest.
        It kills me that most comic book readers want nothing but the next "Wolverine & 6-10 Other Characters You Don't Really Care About" or "The Mediocre Adventures of Batman's 7th Robin & His Irrelevant Friends" titles.

There is a whole world of great comics out there that don't contain a single cape, cowl, or mustache-twirling would-be conqueror of worlds. As cool as both Batman and Wolverine are as characters, it gets to a point where they become the comic book equivalent of Justin Bieber (sic?) or the Spice Girls.

C'mon people. Try something different. Please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
          C'mon people. Try something different. Please.
          That's kind of the point of "Free Comicbook Day". To get people to try different things. By the way, I'm pretty sure it isn't free to the retailers who have to buy the books to give away.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• They sure do have to pay for them, and they've been getting more and more expensive each year since FCBD started.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I will say that I wasn't a fan of Crossgen other than ABADAZAD (which was fantastic and went on to be published as prose/graphic novel hybrids, the third of which, sadly, was not released here in the states and is out of print in Britian) and what little I saw of the Sherlock Holmes-esque RUSE.

I've never been a fan of Marvel either as a source of entertainment (the characters just don't interest me) or as a publisher (short of when EPIC was running back in the 80's). They don't take the type of chances that DC has or continues to do. Think of the top five most influential graphic novels/collections ever published...Chances are they were all DC books. I have enjoyed some Marvel comics in the past...NEXTWAVE...Ed Brubaker's run on CAPTAIN AMERICA...Bendis and Maleev's DAREDEVIL (and the Brubaker/Lark run after that) and some others but, generally speaking, I have found more pleasure from DC/VERTIGO books.

Marvel fans aren't, generally, open to change and/or anything different. Always exceptions to the rule, though, of course, but generally they like where they are and don't want to stray too far from it. Classic licensed characters like FLASH GORDON or the ilk A) don't concern Marvel. They have their own licenses that have become Hollywood juggernauts and B) Don't do very well, sales wise (even the classic DOC SAVAGE and JOHN CARTER Marvel books were very short-lived).

So, I'm really REALLY glad that Dynamite is in the biz.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                That is, to date, TIED (with MAX HEADROOM) for my all-time favorite TV series.
                With all of two people clamoring for this, it's not likely, but still one can imagine....

Originally posted by Lord Talavar View Post
                .... the Universal Monsters. Start off with a series called Monsters or something that has them all together, then do Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man. Since characters often get multiple titles (how many did Green Hornet launch with again?), I could see, for example, House of Dracula Bride of Frankenstein working out well. Followed by inevitable Year Ones for all of them.

And that's just the big three. The stable of Universal Monsters is large enough to support a reasonably large line, with the Invisible Man, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Mole People, and others who could make the world that much larger, if not necessarily carry their own books.
                I'd totally buy Monsters. Strangely I don't think I'd be that interested in some of them individually, but as a bizzare monster "team" I would so get it.

Similar to the way Masks teamed up. And although the very idea would probably piss off or offend all the "purists", the pottential idea of Masks vs. Monsters would be freakin incredible!

Originally posted by comichero View Post
                I am all in favor of this line of comics, as long as DE allows Joe Jusko the covers to all these comics, he loves this stuff!
                Yes!
                Originally posted by Lord Talavar View Post
                And since they love variants so much, how about they release actual variant comics instead of just the covers, in which the interior art is rendered in black-and-white?
                I'd so snag the Universal Monster black & White variants.
                Last edited by Guicho; 03-01-2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guicho View Post
                  Similar to the way Masks teamed up. And although the very idea would probably piss off or offend all the "purists", the pottential idea of Masks vs. Monsters would be freakin incredible!
                  Moonstone already did this one (albeit with PD versions of the monsters, rather than Universal's), as pretty much the last gasp of their abortive Return of the Originals pulp line. There were 4 one-shots: The Spider vs. Werewolf, The Phantom Detective vs. Frankenstein, Domino Lady vs. The Mummy, and The Black Bat vs. Dracula.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RotM Spider v Werewolf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	48754Click image for larger version

Name:	RotM Phantom v Frankenstein.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	48755Click image for larger version

Name:	RotM Domino Lady v Mummy.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	48756Click image for larger version

Name:	RotM Black Bat v Dracula.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	48757

Comment

Moonstone already did this one (albeit with PD versions of the monsters, rather than Universal's), as pretty much the last gasp of their abortive Return of the Originals pulp line. There were 4 one-shots: The Spider vs. Werewolf, The Phantom Detective vs. Frankenstein, Domino Lady vs. The Mummy, and The Black Bat vs. Dracula.

[ATTACH]629[/ATTACH][ATTACH]630[/ATTACH][ATTACH]631[/ATTACH][ATTACH]632[/ATTACH]
                    Those look like fun, will check them out. Thanks!
                    Last edited by Guicho; 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Carson Of Venus by Edgar Rice Burroughs

After John Carter Of Mars, from the Venus series, Carson Of Venus (Pirates Of Venus) also by Edgar Rice Burroughs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_series

http://www.piratesofvenusmovie.com/

Distributors: Angelic Pictures (worldwide) (theatrical)
                      Production Companies: Angelic Pictures Inc.
                      Producer: Mark Maine, Bruce A. Pobjoy
                      Edgar Rice Burroughs www.erbzine.com/mag15/1560.html
                      Country of Origin: USA Color Genre: Action
                      www.myspace.com/piratesofvenusmovie

I certainly would be very much interested in seeing this

(cover links)
                      1 http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2/a...50569428b1.jpg
                      2 http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2/d...50569428b1.jpg
                      3 http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2/f...50569428b1.jpg
                      4 http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2/0...50569428b1.jpg
                      5 http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2/1...50569439b1.jpg

Almost finished reading volume 4, and it doesn't let down for a minute, with action-packed adventures; novels I very much recommend

- Pirates of Venus (1934)
                      - Lost on Venus (1935)
                      - Carson of Venus (1939)
                      - Escape on Venus (1946)

And can't wait to read

- The Wizard of Venus (1964)

Should really read the whole collection

And once read, with this next line, from book 4 in "Escape On Venus" could an attemp be made to finally resolve in comic book form this mystery

Betty Callwell aka Loto-El-Ho-Ganja (Most High More Than Woman Of The Fire, Fire Goddess) Goddess of the Brokols"

Last edited by Renaud; 03-06-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Carson Of Venus (Carson Napier)

It was first serialized in six parts in Argosy in 1932 and published in book form two years later

Description:

Covered by clouds and shrouded in mystery, the planet Venus was the last place Carson Napier expected to touch down when he launched his secret rocketship to Mars. But a miscalculation sent him hurling out of control through the cloaking mists of Earth's sister world

Carson attempted to reach Mars with his own secret rocketship, and calculated carefully the right trajectory, but after the launch discovers that he forgot to calculate one think, the passage of the moon and the gravitational pull of it, and instead, after a close orbit he was shot right in the opposite direction toward the Sun, and when he though he was finished, at the last moment saw Venus in his path, and entering the atmosphere parachuted himself only to find himself landing onto the branches of enormous monstrous size tree where we later discovered people living in them, even a whole city, and a kingdom with a King and a princess. The story has an element of the forbidden romance, and both end up kidnapped by birdmen, with none stop action pack adventures happening to them

Comment

• The problem with Carson of Venus (from Dynamite's point of view) is that it ISN'T in the public domain. Which means they would have to officially license the title from ERB Inc. Consider that ERB Inc. has pursued litigation against DE for their publishing of Lord of the Jungle and Warlord of Mars (both of which ARE in the public domain) -- they aren't likely to want to work with DE.

Any current Carson of Venus adaptations would need to come from Dark Horse Comics, who are still the official licensees (as far as comic books and graphic novels are concerned) of ERB-owned titles. Regardless of the fact that they've released exactly ONE new comic book (The Once and Future TARZAN) in the last decade and a half, along with their many reprints of ERB comics.

Comment

The problem with Carson of Venus (from Dynamite's point of view) is that it ISN'T in the public domain. Which means they would have to officially license the title from ERB Inc. Consider that ERB Inc. has pursued litigation against DE for their publishing of Lord of the Jungle and Warlord of Mars (both of which ARE in the public domain) -- they aren't likely to want to work with DE.

Any current Carson of Venus adaptations would need to come from Dark Horse Comics, who are still the official licensees (as far as comic books and graphic novels are concerned) of ERB-owned titles. Regardless of the fact that they've released exactly ONE new comic book (The Once and Future TARZAN) in the last decade and a half, along with their many reprints of ERB comics.
                            So Carson Of Venus will be feature in Dynamite comics around 2020, or is it 2047

Unless the US copyrights laws change, or unless a deal is made
                            Last edited by Renaud; 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renaud View Post
                              So Carson Of Venus will be feature in Dynamite comics around 2020, or is it 2047

Unless the US copyrights laws change, or unless a deal is made
                              There have been instances in the past where "unauthorized" use of characters has turned into "authorized" use (which is exactly what happened with Ace Books in the 1960s), so it's not impossible. Otherwise, "the waiting is the hardest part", as Tom Petty would say.

Comment

• Both Dynamite and ERB are very reasonable companies and I am sure they will work out a deal in time . . . if they eve do make a Carson of Venus comic . . . I would really love if they did a "what if" story . . . "what if carson made it to mars"

and I hope they would preserve Carsons infamously bad sense of direction, and keep him a pirate.

Comment

Working...
                                X