Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What licenses would you like to see DE pick up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just buy the ones I like to read. I think there's a wealth of great stuff out there right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      I just buy the ones I like to read. I think there's a wealth of great stuff out there right now.
      i agree!!! just because variant covers exist doesn't mean the industry is falling apart although dynamite does abuse the variant system more than other publishers....

Comment

• I think small companies do variant covers because they need the income. In the case of limited variants, it drives sales because some retailers will buy more of the regular issue than they know they can sell merely to get the limited variant. The equal split variants also sell extra copies because some fans like to have more than one cover of the same issue.

I don't think it hurts the consumer in any way. It merely presents more options to buy (or not buy, consumer's choice) on any given issue.

Speculators can make a short-term killing on some of the rare variants, but they obviously aren't good for any longer-term investment, and all but the most neophyte collectors should be aware of this by now. If people choose to buy them, it should be because they like the art and are willing to pay a premium price, or in the case of equal-split variants, simply because they prefer one cover artist over another. I don't see it as the doom of the industry.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that somehow if publishers didn't spend the money to hire a few extra artists to draw (or paint) variant covers, that that money would somehow be used to improve the quality of the interior stories (thereby selling more copies than would be the case with the variant covers), but I very much doubt that eliminating the expense of a few extra covers would greatly increase the page rates (and thus attract better writers and artists) for the book's interior.
        Last edited by pulphero; 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• As far as I'm concerned the Variants aren't that big a deal. Pick up the one you like and don't worry about having all of them. I know some of you out there are completists but really . . .
          I some times pick up a second or third issue when my LCS has its regular $1 back issue sale. Sometimes with a mini series I pick one artist and get all of thier covers. There was a problem with variants back around the same time as the card market all but died. I had a Comic Shop back then and can remember some of the issues. Things were far worse back then. I seem to remember one issue that had something like 8 variants. Now it's only a few small publishers and usually only 2 or three variants & maybe 1 or 2 rare 'collectable' variants.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            As far as I'm concerned the Variants aren't that big a deal. Pick up the one you like and don't worry about having all of them. I know some of you out there are completists but really . . .
            I some times pick up a second or third issue when my LCS has its regular $1 back issue sale. Sometimes with a mini series I pick one artist and get all of thier covers. There was a problem with variants back around the same time as the card market all but died. I had a Comic Shop back then and can remember some of the issues. Things were far worse back then. I seem to remember one issue that had something like 8 variants. Now it's only a few small publishers and usually only 2 or three variants & maybe 1 or 2 rare 'collectable' variants.
            No, there are definitely more (on average) variants today than back then. Some recent excesses include: Walking Dead #100 had 13 variants (lettered A through M). Dynamite's relaunch of Red Sonja (July 2013, by Gail Simone) had 15. (I believe the upcoming relaunch of Vampirella #1 has at least 8, too.) Because the dynamics of publishing comics today has changed radically with much smaller print runs on average, we've seen the rise of the "regional shop variant", or "Cover RE" (retailer exclusive). A smaller publisher like Dynamite might only require an order of 500-1000 copies to cut a deal with your LCS for an exclusive cover variant. IDW's Godzilla, Kingdom of Monsters #1 (March 2011) had 79 (!) retailer exclusive variants (in addition to 4 "regular" variants). IDW's Mars Attacks #1 (June 2012) had 55 variants (equal split) plus a 1-in-10 limited variant and a SDCC exclusive.

That's not even accounting for 2nd, 3rd, and later printings.

There's an inherent streak of OCD underlying the concept of 'collecting' (or hoarding) and comics publishers have learned to tap into that and exploit it for profit.
            Last edited by pulphero; 04-06-2014, 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Dynamite should try to promote what they already have instead of focusing on what they don't have

Comment

• G'day,

The show was cancelled a few days ago. I don't know what effect that has on the licence rights but maybe they can pick it up on the cheap. Love to see a team up with the Bionic Man.

Ralph

Originally posted by magnus robot fighter View Post
                intelligence
                the CBS TV show concerning cyber-com agent Gabriel Vaughn
                who can call up computer data via a computer chip implanted in his head

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                  G'day,

The show was cancelled a few days ago. I don't know what effect that has on the licence rights but maybe they can pick it up on the cheap. Love to see a team up with the Bionic Man.

Ralph
                  sounds interesting

Comment

• When DE bought the Harris characters did they also got Cyberfrog? An anthropomorphic frog of alien origin, with Rocket Raccoon and the Ninja Turtles doing well in film, fun animal characters are hot right now. It would be a good time for DE to revive this obscure character that has lots of potential.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by rasx; 09-04-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X