Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question please, what the diffrance between Red Sonja Comics to Queen Sonja Comics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question please, what the diffrance between Red Sonja Comics to Queen Sonja Comics?

I've got the two Red Sonja omnibus (loved them by the way) and I'm intersted in the running series but I don't know and can't find an explanation about the diffrences of the two running series.is the 'red sonja' series a prequal to 'queen sonja'? if so which red sonja? as I understand there are two in DE universe, the first that was the star of the two omnibus that I jave and another like her great great grandaugther

thanks in advance for any help given
    Last edited by trueadam; 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM.

My problem is that I lost track of it, too! I read both series but cannot imagine, when Queen Sonja is happening. My guess: Queen Sonja is after Red Sonja 49. Red Sonja after 51 is in the past. But it can be very different. My second guess: Dynamite lost track, too. Or they aren't interested in answering these questions. I would not like to make a timeline these days, because it would look like an escher-housey picture.

Comment

this is how i look at it. Red Sonja is the MAIN title, and the one most folks will recommend you collect. Queen Sonja is an older version of the character. I like to think that during the Queen Sonja stories, ol' Red is at least 45 years old or older.(it has flashbacks, where she may be younger, but these are "flashing back" to her youth) ........................and the main title, "Red Sonja", is about her adventures when she was younger. This is the EASIEST way to look at it, and how i often explain it to people in my local comic shop. Also, the ONE-SHOTS are random stories that are sprinkled throughout her career as an adventurer.

There are other explainations, to be sure, but my way is simple and easy. i hope you use it.

and FYI- the One-Shots are often the best stories. I would collect them first. They are cheap online, and you can often find them at your local comic shop in the discount bin.

Comment

thank you both

so the red sonja character in the running red sonja series and the one from the queen sonja series are the same character but at diffrant times of her life - but this sonja is the grandaughter of the 'original' sonja, the one that her stories were collected in the two omnibuses that came out so far

did I understand correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by trueadam View Post
          thank you both

so the red sonja character in the running red sonja series and the one from the queen sonja series are the same character but at diffrant times of her life - but this sonja is the grandaughter of the 'original' sonja, the one that her stories were collected in the two omnibuses that came out so far

did I understand correctly?
          one could say that is correct.............. but again, take this with a grain of salt. Dynamite is doing the best they can with what they have. if you try to nail down an EXACT time line and genelogical history of ol' Red, you will find multiple continuity errors. Between reincarnations, the old marvel stories, and a recent Reboot, there is no definitive Red Sonja persay. Heck, when Howard originally created her, she was very different than she is now. But dont let this confuse you. Just know that since ol' Red isn't as uber popular as batman or spiderman, she tends to get passed around alot. (no pun intended). Just enjoy the stories, watch a gorgeous half-naked babe slay dudes left and right, groan at the sh*tty movie, and welcome to the Ta-tas Mcgee fan club!

Comment

I don't agree with your kind words of Dynamite doing the best they can with what they have. They created the mess they ... or we... have. When they gave us the first Annual or Giant-Size, they gave us a very good timeline in it. It said: Marvel Vol. 1, Vol. 2 and 3 if you want them, then the different One-Shots and finally DEs Red Sonja series. If there are any problems: solve by thinking. Then they made a mess out of their own timeline not only by giving her incarnations, but also by giving us two ongoings. Since they don't give us anymore hints as to where to place the stories. Okay, they tell us when a story is placed in her past. That is fair enough. I like to see it that way: everything Queen and RS up from 50 (or 30?) is not canonically and must be erased once they tell us real new stories again. That does not increase my desire to buy the new issues, I must say. Or reading them.

Comment

I have decided to stop QS after issue 25. Good stories, but it just lacks something which is essentially RS.

Money is tight and the book is not performing well.

RS on the other hand is the best it's been in years. If only a black hole could swallow everything written by Brian Reed - then everything would be right with the world.

I'd like to see Dynamite's take on all this. Can they explain the unexplainable???????? The gauntlet has been laid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloot View Post
                I have decided to stop QS after issue 25. Good stories, but it just lacks something which is essentially RS.

Money is tight and the book is not performing well.

RS on the other hand is the best it's been in years. If only a black hole could swallow everything written by Brian Reed - then everything would be right with the world.

I'd like to see Dynamite's take on all this. Can they explain the unexplainable???????? The gauntlet has been laid.
                i totally agree that they should go to just ONE regular ongoing series. Make 1 monthly good instead of 2 monthly's mediocre. I remember how awesome the Amazing Spiderman comic was in the 80's........because it was the flagship title about one of marvel's best characters, while spectacular spiderman tended to focus on lesser known villians and side plots in the peter parker mythos........then came the 1990's and there was Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, todd mcfarlane's spiderman, Sensational, spiderman unlimited, and that blasted clone saga..........and then the entire spiderman ship tanked. I don't want that the happen to ol' Red. Lets not over-expose her (she does that herself! Zing!) and i would be happy with just one ongoing series. It's really all we need, with occastional One-shots and mini-series thrown in. And a violent Red Sonja cartoon movie would be nice! Hint, Dynamite, Hint!!

and as far as Queen Sonja not performing well, it's interesting you typed that, because i was told about an hour ago by my local comic shop(we only have one in my town) that he is no longer gonna order any QS, because I am the ONLY customer who buys it.

Comment

After some quick reviewing, these are the main differences I see.

Red Sonja, issues 1-50
                  Main theme: Sonja's destiny is to live an eternal curse created by a self-serving writ... I mean... red goddess.
                  Story: Moderately paced. Imitates Xena and Clash of the Titans, featuring incarnated gods, sidekicks, incarnated gods, anthropomorphic beasts and er... more incarnated gods.
                  Sonja's character: Portrayed most times as silent and grumpy. She has unpredictable behavior. (She would have sex with a god or allow hundreds to die just to get divine powers.)
                  Dialogue: Sloppy and sometimes self-contradicting (except for Brian Reed's contribution).
                  Art
                  : Good and better.
                  Panels layout: Good for the first 20 or so issues. After that it becomes average and lacking attention to details.

Queen Sonja, issues 1-25
                  Main theme: Sonja seems to be destined to become an empress. Until now, the red goddess just ignores her prayers.
                  Story: Fast paced and trying to "shock" every couple pages, with tons of gore that is never toned down, not even when depicting the death of kids. The plots are crafty, but still imitate Xena and Clash of the Titans, featuring incarnated gods and many werebeasts.
                  Sonja's character: Portrayed most times as loud-mouthed and arrogant. She has an impulsive dumb behavior. (She is Sonja, Hyrkanian. She will not think, so Zartur thinks for her. )
                  Dialogue: Good for the first 10 or so issues. After that it becomes sloppy, self-contradicting and careless in terms of spelling. Dialogue bubbles are often assigned to the wrong character.
                  Art: Good and better.
                  Panels layout: Good for the first 15 or so issues. After that it becomes average and lacking attention to details. Sometimes it seems that the writer and the artist were trying to tell different stories.

Red Sonja, issues 51-61
                  Main theme: Adventure in a believable sword and sorcery environment. The red goddess inspires Sonja only when necessary.
                  Story: Paced to contribute to the mood of the events. Violence packs a punch, because it doesn't get overused. Sidekicks are temporary and memorable. (But, why Cylons, Eric? Why? )
                  Sonja's character: Her mood follows common sense. She is loud-mouthed when leading soldiers and threatening enemies, calmed when negotiating, silent and grumpy when lonely, and joyful when the odds are in her favor. She has an impulsive behavior, but it is backed by her cleverness and quick reactions.
                  Dialogue: Carefully thought and smoothly-flowing. Typos are rare.
                  Art: Good and better.
                  Panels layout: Mostly in harmony with the story being told.

Comment

i agree with everything except the first 6 issues of the red sonja title. They rarely suffered from the issues you discribed, it was more like issues 11-50 should be seperate from 1-10.
                    Last edited by brickbutler; 01-04-2012, 11:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ambiente View Post
                      (But, why Cylons, Eric? Why? )
                      Mostly to see if I could.

To be fair, the original descriptions of the clockwork soldiers was a bit more DaVinci-inspired; I was hoping they'd be a bit less robot-y.

Seemed in keeping with the notions of Acheron's "ancient sciences," is all.

-E

Comment

Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post

To be fair, the original descriptions of the clockwork soldiers was a bit more DaVinci-inspired; I was hoping they'd be a bit less robot-y.

Seemed in keeping with the notions of Acheron's "ancient sciences," is all.

-E
                        I didn't have a problem with it. But i love Battlestar Galactica so cylon-y bad guys are cool to me. Although, please don't write the robots back in during one of Red's adventures. Heck, I just watched the old Bond movie "The Man with the Golden Gun". That would make one hell of a plot for a sword & sorcery story with a cool villian (villianess?) instead of the clockwork dudes. Just Saying. And no steam powered giant turtles that can fly. Let's leave that in the terrible non-roy thomas Conan issues.

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                          I didn't have a problem with it. But i love Battlestar Galactica so cylon-y bad guys are cool to me. Although, please don't write the robots back in during one of Red's adventures. Heck, I just watched the old Bond movie "The Man with the Golden Gun". That would make one hell of a plot for a sword & sorcery story with a cool villian (villianess?) instead of the clockwork dudes. Just Saying. And no steam powered giant turtles that can fly. Let's leave that in the terrible non-roy thomas Conan issues.
                          Damn. Now I have to go back and throw away my plot for "Hyborian Crisis On Infinite Steampunk Turtles."

YOU MONSTER.

-E

Comment

as long as we get the DYNAMITE ZOMBIES mini series that's fine

Comment

Working...
                            X