What series/characters do you read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What series/characters do you read?

The title says it all. What comics do people read? Of course the focus should be on Dynamite but if there is something else you love it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

My picks:

Favorite Dynamite:
    Green Hornet
    Zorro
    Phantom
    Project Superpowers

I will read the Shadow as soon as the trade is out.

Favorite Non Dynamite
    Dynamo 5
    Batman Beyond
    Green Arrow
    Zatanna
    THUNDER Agents (modern series)

From Dynamite, I read Red Sonja, all the ERB related stuff, Green Hornet, and I'll buy anything related to the Phantom or the Shadow. I also buy a lot of Marvel stuff, IDW's Doctor Who titles on the rare occasions that I can find them, Vertigo's Fables and Hellblazer and a few British titles I doubt most people on here have ever heard of, notably 2000AD. I used to buy a lot of DC, but dropped everything they published outside of the Vertigo books when they rebooted their universe last September and flushed 76 years worth of history down the toilet. On the whole, as far as my wallet is concerned, DC's loss has been Dynamite's gain.

Comment

Oh come on, Tony, give us dumb Americans a little credit. I used to love 2000 AD back in the day (meaning, the 1980s), or to be more accurate the Titan Books album reprints (and the Eagle/Quality/Fleetway Comics American comic-sized ones as well) of Judge Dredd, Judge Anderson, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, A.B.C. Warriors, D.R. & Quinch, Nemesis the Warlock, Zenith, Future Shocks, Time Twisters, and a few others. Never cared for the cheap newspaper format of 2000 AD of that time, though, and always felt they read better in bigger chunks. Had almost the whole run of Dez Skinn's WARRIOR magazine before it was reprinted by Eclipse and DC, too. Just lost track of the characters over the years, but still feel those early ones are classic. One of these days I'm going to get a nice complete set of reprints of the classic Dan Dare strips from The Eagle (have a few odd reprint volumes packed away somewhere).

I read about half (maybe more) of the books Dynamite publishes. Started with Project Superpowers and Avengers/Invaders and kept adding new ones as they were introduced. Mostly all the "classic" properties and some of the TV & movie based titles. Probably easier to list the ones I don't read: Red/Queen Sonja, Thulsa Doom, The Boys/Butcher, Jennifer Blood/Ninjettes, Vampirella (except reprint collections and Vampi vs Dracula), Army of Darkness, Battlestar Galactica, Voltron, Bring the Thunder... blanking on the rest. Also read all of Bongo Comics' output, and a few titles from Moonstone, IDW, and Boom! Studios.

Very few Marvel or DC books since last year. The Twelve is my last remaining floppy Marvel title since Punisher MAX ended, for DC I have Batman Beyond Unlimited, Young Justice and Green Lantern Animated -- at this point I'm switching to trade paperbacks. Will be getting about a half-dozen DCs (Aquaman, All Star Western, 3 Green Lantern titles, and Legion of Super-Heroes), even fewer Marvels (I think just Captain America/Cap & Bucky, Iron Man, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four).

Most of my money is going to hardcover & softcover reprints of classic comic stuff: from old newspaper adventure strips to Golden & Silver Age comics, to weird alternative/indy stuff from Fantagraphics.
      Last edited by positronic; 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Oh come on, Tony, give us dumb Americans a little credit. I used to love 2000 AD back in the day (meaning, the 1980s), or to be more accurate the Titan Books album reprints (and the Eagle/Quality/Fleetway Comics American comic-sized ones as well) of Judge Dredd, Judge Anderson, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, A.B.C. Warriors, D.R. & Quinch, Nemesis the Warlock, Zenith, Future Shocks, Time Twisters, and a few others. Never cared for the cheap newspaper format of 2000 AD of that time, though, and always felt they read better in bigger chunks. Had almost the whole run of Dez Skinn's WARRIOR magazine before it was reprinted by Eclipse and DC, too. Just lost track of the characters over the years, but still feel those early ones are classic. One of these days I'm going to get a nice complete set of reprints of the classic Dan Dare strips from The Eagle (have a few odd reprint volumes packed away somewhere).
        Hah! Yeah, sorry, I should have worded that differently; I think everyone's heard of 2000AD even if they haven't read it, and yes, the eighties were definitely its golden era, though it's still pretty good more often than not. Good to find another Warrior fan, too. Dez, Alan Moore and the rest did some great work there. I know Dez, slightly, and he's still very proud of it, I know. It broke new ground with regard to creator's rights in the UK. It's just a shame it didn't last longer, but I don't think it ever really recovered from the loss of Marvelman.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
          Hah! Yeah, sorry, I should have worded that differently; I think everyone's heard of 2000AD even if they haven't read it, and yes, the eighties were definitely its golden era, though it's still pretty good more often than not. Good to find another Warrior fan, too. Dez, Alan Moore and the rest did some great work there. I know Dez, slightly, and he's still very proud of it, I know. It broke new ground with regard to creator's rights in the UK. It's just a shame it didn't last longer, but I don't think it ever really recovered from the loss of Marvelman.
          I would commit non-specific murders to write Rogue Trooper.

I love a lot of that Warrior and 2000 a.d. stuff, and re-read Charley's War as often as possible.

A pity the Wildstorm Battler Brittain series didn't take off (pardon the pun), because I would dearly love to see more of that character, or at least a decent reprint collection. :/

-E

Comment

I would, too. There were a lot of great characters and concepts created by IPC in fact, and I really don't understand why Wildstorm never made more use of them, or why so little has been reprinted aside from Charley's War, Darkie's Mob and a handful of other strips. They never even finished reprin ting The Spider, which I'd have thought would have sold pretty well just because of having Jerry Siegel's name attached to it.

Comment

Dynamite:

Red and Queen Sonja, but not very interested anymore
              Jungle Girl, very good, but no issues anymore
              Vampirella Archives, because this is really great stuff!!!

Ex-Dynamite-reads:

Vampirella, but cancelled because of lack of Vampirella
              Man with no name, what a desaster!! worst series I read in a long time
              Battlestar Galactica, hm, not really good, sorry
              Army of darkness, sorry, but I like the extended ending of the movie and the comics continue the "original" ending

Non-Dynamite:

Hellraiser
              Lady Death
              Supergirl
              Berserk
              Witchblade
              Buffy
              Tarot, Witch of the black rose
              Grimm Fairy Tales
              Wonderland Trilogy
              very much classic stuff, Marvel Omnibusses, Masterworks, Essentials, TPBs, I loved CrossGen
              I look very much forward to the "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" reprints of the classic Moench-Marvel-stories. I waited for them almost 30 years!

Comment

Seems like almost all the original 2000 AD series were based on very simple, high concept "fusion" genres -- Judge Dredd is a sci-fi DRAGNET, Rogue Trooper a sci-fi World War II story, Strontium Dog a sci-fi spaghetti western, etc. They should all be made into (faithfully adapted) movies. Still hold out a bit of hope for the DREDD remake next September.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

...at this point I'm switching to trade paperbacks.
                  Yeah. Me too, at least for DC (I don't buy Marvel at the moment), with the exception being Batwoman and perhaps the Earth-2 books. I was buying Deathstroke but Liefeld taking over that book is my cue to leap.

Someone mentioned Dynamo 5 and I need to buy Vol 3 of that soon. That's a fun book.

Comment

Seems like almost all the original 2000 AD series were based on very simple, high concept "fusion" genres -- Judge Dredd is a sci-fi DRAGNET, Rogue Trooper a sci-fi World War II story, Strontium Dog a sci-fi spaghetti western, etc. They should all be made into (faithfully adapted) movies. Still hold out a bit of hope for the DREDD remake next September.
                    Actually, while I agree with your assessment, Strontium Dog wasn't an original 2000AD series (it began life in Star-Lord in 1978) and Rogue Trooper was a comparatively late addition, starting in 1981. Even Dredd wasn't in 2000AD from the very beginning; his debut was delayed until issue #2 after John Wagner walked out in a dispute over creator's rights. There's an overview of 2000AD's history at the link below, to celebrate its 35th anniversary.

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdow...ll-these-years

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                      Yeah. Me too, at least for DC (I don't buy Marvel at the moment), with the exception being Batwoman and perhaps the Earth-2 books.
                      I wonder how you'll feel about Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest -- have you seen the new character designs? It's an Earth 2 that's been totally rebooted; more so, if that's possible, than the main DC "New 52" universe. I was originally looking forward to these as a "throw the old dog a bone" overture to old-school DC fanboys, but the "Elseworlds Earth 2" approach has pretty much turned me off.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                        Actually, while I agree with your assessment, Strontium Dog wasn't an original 2000AD series (it began life in Star-Lord in 1978) and Rogue Trooper was a comparatively late addition, starting in 1981. Even Dredd wasn't in 2000AD from the very beginning; his debut was delayed until issue #2 after John Wagner walked out in a dispute over creator's rights. There's an overview of 2000AD's history at the link below, to celebrate its 35th anniversary.

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdow...ll-these-years
                        OK, I admit to not having started reading any of these until after 1981. So, technically, not "original". And of course 2000 AD featured many more strips in its early days that I haven't mentioned. But those three, along with a few others, seemed to be the breakout successes of the early period (or is 1981 considered beyond the early period for a title that's been around for 35 years?) Has there ever been an all-time popularity poll ranking all the 2000 AD strips to determine which are the most "zarjaz"?

Thanks for the link. The article makes note of something I'd been wondering about for a decade-and-a-half, why is the magazine (and when exactly did they change from newspaper-type comic section to magazine format?) still called 2000 AD? I'd have imagined, at some point before or by 1999, an odometer-style "2000" AD logo slowly advancing the first digit from 2 to 3, with the first Prog published in 2000 changing to a an LED display-inspired 3000 AD logo. Does Tharg imagine his readership is so entrenched in the classic strips that the change would have been just too much? Or perhaps it's because the time period of Dredd has been so well documented, I'm not sure. Calling the mag 3000 AD might make Dredd's adventures seem slightly antiquated?

The article also had a link to the official 2000 AD home page, and I note that they offer (just like DC and Marvel) digital downloads. A piece of info I'll just file away for now while I try to decide what tablet style device I might eventually purchase. The wide variety of print formats (many different page sizes, newspaper, comic book, magazine, and graphic album formats) that 2000 AD material has already appeared in makes me less attached to the physical form than I am to American floppy comics and trade collections. Still haven't quite made up my mind about how I feel about the digital format, but seeing as how I haven't followed 2000 AD for a number of years, I might be more inclined to give it a try. Oddly, while some individual back issues seem to be available for digital download, I couldn't find any digital subscriptions for 2000 AD or Judge Dredd Megazine. And the physical issues are actually cheaper than the digital ones!? (Of course, were I to order the physical issues directly from Rebellion, the shipping would make them more expensive.) 115 pounds UK for a physical subscription to 2000 AD; 200 pounds for overseas customers (that's over $314 dollars US!) Can't believe they don't offer digital subs at a reduced rate (and one that doesn't cost any more for overseas customers). Guess I'll wait a while for this. I could get the physical mags through Diamond Comics Distributors in the US... but a copy of Judge Dredd Megazine costs $12 US, about twice the price of a comparable magazine over here.

Within the last few months I did purchase the trade collection "The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks".
                        Last edited by positronic; 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I wonder how you'll feel about Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest -- have you seen the new character designs? It's an Earth 2 that's been totally rebooted; more so, if that's possible, than the main DC "New 52" universe. I was originally looking forward to these as a "throw the old dog a bone" overture to old-school DC fanboys, but the "Elseworlds Earth 2" approach has pretty much turned me off.
                          Likewise. I dropped everything DC after the reboot except for The Shade, and when I heard James Robinson was returning the JSA (my all time favourite team) in a series set on Earth 2, I thought this would be the last refuge for fans of the 'old' DC; I was utterly delighted. The reveal that it's basically just a glorified Elseworlds story has been a bitter disappointment, so much so that I've now dropped The Shade as well because I just don't want to give DC any more of my money. And I'm disappointed in Robinson, who I felt had a real feeling for the Golden Age characters, for putting his name to the project.

Comment

OK, I admit to not having started reading any of these until after 1981. So, technically, not "original". And of course 2000 AD featured many more strips in its early days that I haven't mentioned. But those three, along with a few others, seemed to be the breakout successes of the early period (or is 1981 considered beyond the early period for a title that's been around for 35 years?) Thanks for the link. Has there ever been an all-time popularity poll ranking all the 2000 AD strips?
                            I don't think there has, though 2000AD used to run polls regularly and Judge Dredd usually won (the only strip which seemed to come close in terms of popularity was Slaine, but then that was the early eighties, the era of D&D and Dragonslayer). I guess 1981 could be considered 'early', but I started reading in '77 so it never seemed that way to me, and I always thought of Rogue as a latecomer...

I think the other characters that were hugely popular back in the earliest days were Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (who were actually originally from Star-Lord, of course), and probably Robo-Hunter. Later, of course, came Rogue, Slaime and Nemesis, but they were more of a 'second wave'.
                            Last edited by tony ingram; 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I've seen them and I'm open-minded to it. I can't put in the time and money to follow the actual characters but "variants" I can do.

In a way, I prefer it because they feel like evolved versions of the actual characters. I understand it may be Damian Wayne under the cowl and I think that's interesting. I would have KILLED for Bruce Wayne to stay dead because his death forced changes in the Batman family, but of course...and they can have a bit more liberty with Earth-2 characters, not unlike killing (at least for now) Ultimate Peter Parker.

Comment

Working...
                              X