Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue #64: Three Word Recap!

"Nothing much happens".

I rather enjoyed it. Of course, being a Brit, any reference to properly brewed tea is always going to win me over. Teabagging also.

Comment

Is anyone starting to rethink Butcher's character a little bit after this issue? To me, I second guess every thing he has ever said and done, even at his most genial and caring, since the Barbary Coast arc. I always thought that the last arc would end with "Hughie vs. Butcher" the same way Preacher ended with "Jesse vs. Cassidy," and that part of it could have to do with Butcher willing to sacrifice the other Boys to achieve his goals. Remember in the Mallory flashback when the Colonel asked him if he didn't cared about getting himself killed, did he care about the others, and he didn't answer? Yet this issue showed that he is unwilling to throw the others' lives away at what is seemingly the endgame for all they have been working towards.

Comment

Good point Dustin. Butcher is... complicated. I'm honestly not sure what to make of his actions in 64. Is he really happily marching off to 'certain death' at the hands of the Homelander? I've no idea, but for me The Boys is reaching fever pitch right now. Can't wait for 65.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
          Good point Dustin. Butcher is... complicated. I'm honestly not sure what to make of his actions in 64. Is he really happily marching off to 'certain death' at the hands of the Homelander? I've no idea, but for me The Boys is reaching fever pitch right now. Can't wait for 65.
          I may be wrong, but the character we have been watching for 64 issues has no intention of getting into fights he won't win, using whatever advantage he needs. Now, he may die, but HL is going down with him.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
            I may be wrong, but the character we have been watching for 64 issues has no intention of getting into fights he won't win, using whatever advantage he needs. Now, he may die, but HL is going down with him.
            **Possible spoilerz**

Assuming he WILL be facing Homie, and not BN. I just wish they revealed BNs secret this ish.

Comment

A spoiler warning isn't necessary on a recap thread, is it?

So, we know Vought's plan, and it's an obvious one. After 30 years of Butcher slaughtering their supes, they decide they need soldiers with V, not just superheroes working as soldiers. This explains all the attempts to keep the Boys preoccupied with the Seven- so they don't get wind of the new project.

BN is the key, and he's a part of Vought's ultimate plan. Ideas- there are several BNs? Made (soldiers injected with V), or created (Maeve's abortions weren't really aborted but surrogate mothered)? What the hell was going on with flying A-8s? Maybe real training?

Question- who do you think Butcher was talking about with Rayner in the first pages, somebody who wasn't going to fly into Washington?

Trying to figure out from Butcher's comment ("Mallory would've loved this") if he knew Mallory was dead (if he is)?

More speculation on Mallory- maybe he would be OK with V-soldiers. Maybe that's why he wants to undermine Butcher. Remember when he said he changed the process to make V much more costly? Maybe he is diverting money to fund the new line (and some for himself, like his fancy West Coast coastal home).
              Last edited by statsman; 03-08-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

In defense of my own laziness, I'd like to point out that last weekend I went into the hospital with bronchitis, strep, AND Pneumonia. Yesterday was my first day out of bed. At one point, and this is the truth, the doctor asked if I was sure I was still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                  In defense of my own laziness, I'd like to point out that last weekend I went into the hospital with bronchitis, strep, AND Pneumonia. Yesterday was my first day out of bed. At one point, and this is the truth, the doctor asked if I was sure I was still alive.
                  "I just can't stand the thought o' you gettin' hurt.

Cos this f***in' world'll eat you alive if you let it."

Hope tou get better soon.

I'm backtracking on what I posted earlier about Butcher having a plan for HL. I think there is a good chance he doesn't, and is walking purposely to his death. The thing is, he's going just before dawn, knowing that at dawn an airstrike is going to blow the hell out of the supes, followed by A-10s pounding HL directly with huge armor piercing rounds. I imagine Butcher's plan is to confront HL, point out to him that his plan is done, that HL will be killed, either now or later, and Butcher can die happily just from being there to point it all out to HL.

That's Butcher's plan. What Butcher doesn't know, apparently, is that BN is something different. At the series beginning, they pointed out how often weapon systems get deployed before they're ready, not stating the follow on point that at some time they actually are ready. BN may actually be in the White House, and may have instructions to defuse the situation.

Also, I'm calling it. Mallory was in cahoots with the pentagon, VG and Raynor on the new, better weaponized supes. Butcher found out from Vogelbaum, who Butcher then killed (not on Mallory's orders, but in spite of them). That led to Butcher's open insubordination of Mallory post 9/11. Raynor and Mallory were the source of the original HL pics, of the Jack From Jupiter killings, the Terror killing, all of the unexplained events that kept the Boys busy with the red herring, instead of investigating the new super-soldiers.

In the next issue, Butcher will confront the HL, and they will both be surprised by Black Noir. BN will kill HL, and Butcher will stand down, realizing he has one last story arc to cover before he dies...taking down weaponized V for good.

The title of the next issue is "My Name Is...Michael Caine". Is that another reference to "The Man Who Would Be King", or something different (Butcher making a Cockney joke)?

Side note- What the hell was going on with HL reading VG's blood pressure ("80 over 60")? Is this just crappy writing? How does super hearing or super vision relate to reading blood pressure?
                  Last edited by statsman; 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterS View Post
                    **Possible spoilerz**

Assuming he WILL be facing Homie, and not BN. I just wish they revealed BNs secret this ish.
                    Agreed. It just seems a little late in the game to make me care about Black Noir, regardless of what his "secret" is. It's weird- this book has gone on FOREVER, and for the most part, it doesn't seem like there's been anything but the most rudimentary character development on anyone. Think of how complex a character Cassidy was from Preacher, compared to how completely two-dimensional everyone in the Boys universe appears to be. Even the "mysterious" characters like Mallory turned out to be complete let-downs. Something like six billion words over those three fucking issues, and it all boiled down to "Mallory is a boring old douche, and there's not much too him that we didn't know from Issue #1."

There's nothing new they can tell us about Black Noir that would make any sense based on what we already know. But then, Black Noir has never made any sense as a character. Vought Guy, of all people, should know all about Black Noir, and yet tried to teach him to fly an airplane, despite knowing that BN isn't intellectually capable of it. Regardless of if BN turns out to be a zombie or an alien or Homelander's retarded brother or whatever the hell he turns out to be, it doesn't alter the fact that Vought Guy KNEW it, and still wasted time and effort screwing around with airplanes and flight instructors. And really, we're six or so issues from the end. Garth's timing has sucked this entire book- he drags out things that nobody cares about, he delays things that we DID care about until we just stop caring, and now he's trying to throw in some "new and exciting" bullshit about Black Noir, and using the lamest Idiot Plot in the history of writing: "I can't be bothered to take six seconds to explain myself, so just hold on for a couple of hours while I pack, grab a plane, catch a taxi, and can tell you in person".

Comment

".... now he's trying to throw in some "new and exciting" bullshit about Black Noir, and using the lamest Idiot Plot in the history of writing: "I can't be bothered to take six seconds to explain myself, so just hold on for a couple of hours while I pack, grab a plane, catch a taxi, and can tell you in person".
                      I'm probably missing something, but what are you referring to here Kamakazi? The conversation between Hughie and MM takes place by telephone.

Whatever the case with Black Noir, I get the sense it has been planned rather than thrown in. Otherwise some fair points there, put across with your customary understatement.

Comment

, and now he's trying to throw in some "new and exciting" bullshit about Black Noir, and using the lamest Idiot Plot in the history of writing: "I can't be bothered to take six seconds to explain myself, so just hold on for a couple of hours while I pack, grab a plane, catch a taxi, and can tell you in person".
                        Sure. If only MM had gotten through three minutes sooner. It's a device to build artificial suspense.

I'm reminded of Pauline Kael's quote- "Movies are so rarely great art, that if you can't enjoy great trash, there's almost no point in going." I'm really enjoying this series, still. Ennis is not a great writer, but he is a fun writer.

Besides, is Ellis a great writer? I really liked "Planetary", but come on- the Randall Dowling character wouldn't kill Isaiah when he had the chance? Isn't that a little, "I'd like to stay and watch you die, Batman, but I have to run across town to rob a bank!" And how the series ended, with a huge hole opening up and them all falling in it? Really? Nevertheless, it was n enjoyable series.

This is great trash, and I am really expecting an exceptional issue #65. After all, it will have troops fighting, and this is Ennis after all.

Comment

For the record, I thought #64 was one of the best issues of the Boys ever- I suppose I owe it to the book to occasionally mention things like that. The office scene with VG/Homelander was brilliant, and had me literally laughing out loud. Especially when VG says "Nevermind, I'll just jump and save you the trouble." This is why we love Vought Guy. It's why Vought Guy should have his own book.

Really, the issue was great- as good as the best parts of "Proper Preparation & Planning", and almost as good as Hughie's run with my boy MalChemical. IF Garth can keep this up through the last seven issues, I doubt any of us will remember the low lights- Frenchie's orgin story will be forgiven and forgotten, Hughie's "Scooby Doo" arc will fade into memory, and maybe even Herogasm will cease to matter, much the way "Ancient Histories" doesn't matter to the Preacher books.

The real question is: with as good as this issue was, (and I gave it a 9 out of 10, and I think I've only ever ranked maybe five other issues that high) will next issue deliver, or will we get a side story where MM goes and rescues his moronic daughter, or will Mallory show up and tell us about passing a kidney stone at Omaha Beach? Because let's face it my friends- we all know it could go either way. In fact, given the "next issue" blurb at the end of the book, I'm very afraid that we're getting another Flashback. I hope it is not so. None of the "secret history" issues have ever been worth a damn. Ennis is great at a lot of things, but build up/reveal isn't one of them. Oh, he TRIES, but he doesn't understand that there has to be something in the reveal. And yes, I'm still just angry, bitter, and scarred over the whole f'ing Mallory thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                            Whatever the case with Black Noir, I get the sense it has been planned rather than thrown in.
                            Long-time lurker, finally managed to register for the forums. I'm with this guy. ^ (In opinion, not location.)

I think one of the most important hints about Black Noir occurs in #47, on a page with absolutely no dialogue. As Starlight passes A-Train, Jack and The Deep (in hindsight, it's obvious they are having a conversation about Homelander's plan), Black Noir peeks out from another room with his 'furrowed brow' look. Yeah, Black Noir has about three discernible facial expressions, but this is Russ Braun's 'angry' look, visible on just about every other pissed-off character he draws. Later, Black Noir is conspicuously absent from the gathering of supes above Believe ("Let's talk.").

In #48, Black Noir has the same look on his... mask. Just before shooting up his instructor and crashing the jet. Split seconds after his instructor suggests concern about Noir's ability to understand...

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                              Long-time lurker, finally managed to register for the forums. I'm with this guy. ^ (In opinion, not location.)

I think one of the most important hints about Black Noir occurs in #47, on a page with absolutely no dialogue. As Starlight passes A-Train, Jack and The Deep (in hindsight, it's obvious they are having a conversation about Homelander's plan), Black Noir peeks out from another room with his 'furrowed brow' look. Yeah, Black Noir has about three discernible facial expressions, but this is Russ Braun's 'angry' look, visible on just about every other pissed-off character he draws. Later, Black Noir is conspicuously absent from the gathering of supes above Believe ("Let's talk.").

In #48, Black Noir has the same look on his... mask. Just before shooting up his instructor and crashing the jet. Split seconds after his instructor suggests concern about Noir's ability to understand...
                              And the talk from JAck in "Herogasm" about not wanting to know whatever terrible truth about BN there is.

Comment

Working...
                              X