Issue #64: Three Word Recap!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
    or will we get a side story where MM goes and rescues his moronic daughter, or will Mallory show up and tell us about passing a kidney stone at Omaha Beach?
    Last fall, a dying teenager's "Make a Wish" foundation's desire was to know the end to the series "The Boys". Ennis, being a good guy, sent him his last plot outlines and finished scripts, as much as he had. The kid read tem, and died (prematurely...his problem wasn't supposed to be his digestive system, but that's what did him in). His brother leaked this onto the internet-

"The Boys #65"

Page 1: Butcher confronts HL in the Oval Office. Vic is hog-tied in corner, BN is looking in through window with only his head seen. Non-descript cape says, "What's that sound? Is there a lightning storn?"

Pages 2 - 10: Back story on Cletus Bingham, Oklahoma native that becomes an A-10 driver by way of dropping out of colleg, enlisting, getting scared straight on the battlefield, finishing college, and getting commissioned.

Pages 11 - 12: Back story on Captain Power, a supe with near HL powers that just wants to make the big time and be a real hero. He is currently posted on the perimeter of the caped defenses of the White House. He's duped by HL, and really thinks he's doing something good.

Pages 13- 21: More on Cletus. He is a good pilot, and a well-liked officer. He is assigned to the US and is conveniently on hand for the dawn raid. His A-10 gets the special armor-piercing rounds in its 30 mm cannon. Tough guy, folksy banter with the spec-5 prepping his plane.

Pages 22 - 23: 2-page spread showing Captain Power's face being struck by the armor-piercing rounds (note to Russ: figure on a tracer every 7 rounds. Also, can you show the A-10 cockpit on the same view, with the nick name under the canopy reading "Skeeter"?). Captain Power is dead.

Pages 24 - 26: Butcher and HL, blah-blah, "Your game is over", BN jumps out and pulls HL's head off, arc is over.
    Last edited by statsman; 03-12-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

"Cletus"....?

Comment

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37179

"The Boys" #65 finishes out the "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men" with a showdown that's been building since the inception of "The Boys" -- a Butcher and Homelander face-off, something the writer told CBR News was a lot of fun to finally put to paper. "Writing it was a blast. Seeing Russ Braun's art come in has been an absolute pleasure; he has a tendency to nail exactly the images I imagine when I write. [I] Had my heart in my mouth a couple of times, looking at what he drew on this one."

While the writer couldn't give much away about the encounter between Butcher and Homelander, he did cryptically tease, "in the end, it does indeed all come down to faces." He further stated that none of Butcher's encounters against other supers has truly prepared him for his showdown with Homelander. "That was all work, tinged with the occasional good laugh," he said. "This is more what you might call a passion project."

Though it may surprise longtime readers of "The Boys," the Butcher/Homelander throwdown doesn't signal the end of the series, with Ennis making it clear that "[Butcher] has another six issues worth of work to do after #65." As for Hughie, who recently tasted his own flavor of revenge against A-Train for killing his girlfriend in "The Boys" #1, the writer was tight-lipped on the psychological implications killing the cape might have on him. "Read it and see. A guy like Hughie doesn't boot someone's head off and walk away from it mentally unscathed."

The rest of The Boys will have their own roles to play in the conclusion of "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men," including Mother's Milk, whose secret history lesson will reveal what Ennis refers to as "all the answers," with developments for the still-enigmatic Frenchman and the Female.

As Ennis prepares readers for the final seven issues of "The Boys," he hinted that even though it may seem they can't get any higher, the stakes are about to get raised once again. "It's a lot more serious," he told CBR. "No more messing about with idiots in colored tights; this is where the stakes are at their highest. Remember what Frenchie said about Terror's death: 'The first bad day. Just the first.'"

And while Ennis is proud of his work on "The Boys," wrapping the story is somewhat bittersweet. "There's a great sense of achievement in bringing it to a close, in that it's one of my all time favorite stories featuring probably my favorite character out of all those I've created: Butcher," Ennis said. "There's an element of sadness, too, knowing that I'll never write either him or Hughie ever again."
        Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
          "Cletus"....?
          Well, I said "Oklahoma". Would you like Caleb better?

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
            http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37179

"There's a great sense of achievement in bringing it to a close, in that it's one of my all time favorite stories featuring probably my favorite character out of all those I've created: Butcher," Ennis said. "There's an element of sadness, too, knowing that I'll never write either him or Hughie ever again."

Hmm.
            Anybody else read the page 3 dialogue as Butcher saying, "Goodbye" to Hughie?

Comment

Yeah, that's how I read it, though there is a degree of ambiguity. I think Butcher knows there's not much he can do about HL, but as he said earlier, even a second with his hands around HL's throat would be satisfying. With all we've learned about Butcher's character, he certainly isn't scared of dying, and at this point maybe he's thinking there's no-where else to go but to confront HL. The way I read it, he's not about to throw his life away, but he is ready to die.

The interview you linked to there has got some clear indications Butcher's fate after 65.

Guesswork alert! Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!Guesswork alert!

My own best guess - Homelander is killed in 65, and the final arc deals with the real conspiracy.
              Last edited by Simon Rogerson; 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM. Reason: typo terror

Comment

Yeah, there will be a lot to deal with if my guess about VG, Raynor and Mallory all being in on the next generation weaponized supes is right. Although I have no idea how that plot would have any meta-tie ins.

Unless, in his final arc, Ennis wants to use The Boys to mock books like the other Garth Ennis books, which would be just too great.

Comment

Kamakazi is right!

I waited a month for THIS? I read these boards and checked the "New this week" listings on my local comics retailer's website. For what? FOR WHAT, MOTHERFRACKERS!!!

More set up, more waiting, more promise that next issue, next issue, something, ANYTHING will happen. I swear, if we get a setup piece next issue, I will go nutty bananas, or at least be left with a migraine bigger than Vought Guy's. AAAAARRRGH!

Issue #64, I am bashing in your head with a crowbar!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                    I think Butcher knows there's not much he can do about HL
                    ... but that crowbar he's brandishing should definitely get the job done.

Comment

Well, we saw a 747 fly through HL without leaving a scratch, so yeah, can't imagine the crowbar being too effective. I imagine Butcher intends to use it to just get close. He'll go to the Oval Office and pretty much explain to HL how his plan is a failure as all the supes, except HL and BN, are shot to hell by the depleted uranium 30 mm rounds from the A-10s. I'm kind of expecting BN to take out HL, on the orders of Stilwell.

Loose ends after the arc- how does Annie get through her post-coup attempt interview (she was a member of the Seven)?

How does Annie feel about Hughie killing A-Train? a defenseless A-train that was begging for mercy?

Comment

I've been thinking about that myself. In the normal world, kicking a bloke's head off is poor form, to be honest. But in The Boy's world it's becoming common currency.
                        So Annie could say....

"Don't worry Hughie – I'd have done it myself given half a chance." Followed by gratuitous nudity and sex

"He'd have been killed anyway. Who gives a shit?" Followed eventually with nudity and sex, after Hughie works through a few issues

"You're no better than the Homelander (who also decapitates people)!" Storms off forever, no nudity or sex

"Good soldier." Sticks thumb up his arse

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                          Yeah, there will be a lot to deal with if my guess about VG, Raynor and Mallory all being in on the next generation weaponized supes is right. Although I have no idea how that plot would have any meta-tie ins.

Unless, in his final arc, Ennis wants to use The Boys to mock books like the other Garth Ennis books, which would be just too great.
                          I don't know about Mallory- say what you will about Barbary Coast, it portrayed a broken down old man ready to live out the rest of his days in solitude. I don't think he wants to get back in the game for any reason.

Comment

I think he's broken now, after his grandchildren are dead, but was he broken before?

In episodic fiction, one of the tests of good writing is to not just note how a character is portrayed, but to also note what they do, and how consistent their actions are with their portrayal. In good writing, inconsistencies are an indication that something else is going on (in bad writing, inconsistencies are just the writer not being very good). Let's play a game-

Mallory was presented as the trusted senior mentor, the "good, tough guy" that all of the team's first members trusted for guidance and leadership. He carried himself in that manner in talking to Hughie. What we know of him, though, is that he was an Ivy Leaguer, Army officer, and career CIA. Are those actions consistent with the kind of guy who would run a secret initiative to undermine a weapons program, just because he thought it was misguided? Isn't the idea that his actual job was to merely police the supes while the V-program was perfected be just as much in character with who this character actually is, as opposed to who the Boys (each with a personal grudge against supes) would like to think he is?

Raynor- Career CIA with political ambitions. Yeah, you can count on her to buck the system and subvert a multi-billion dollar, politically connected weapons program.

Butcher- Psychopath, or just a really, really tough guy. He has killed a few, and not felt bad about it, but he is aware that he's a brute, and Hughie has talked him down a couple of times. The Butcher mini-series showed a self-aware side. I think the evidence is split here, and if Butcher survives to the end of the series, his internal conflict will be the final key to the story.

What a fun mess this story is. It started out as a satire, a farce, and has turned into an intrigue. The jokes aren't coming as fast now, and when they do, they're darker. I'm really enjoying it, and for a different reason than when I first jumped aboard.

Comment

Speaking of Raynor- did anyone notice how Butcher had the recorder in their last encounter? We saw it once she asked him if he had to leave so soon (and we know what that means with those two). I cant tell if he had just turned it on- their conversation didn't have anything too mind-blowing- this where they introduced the idea of the supe-seeking missiles, and after 65 most of the world is probably going to know about them. I think he was just going to record their sex session out of spite to send it to her husband, since it seems he is almost done with her. Or he needs blackmail material.

Speaking of Butcher and Rayner- Issue 3 or 4 revealed when the series started in-universe, roughly- there is a reference to Raynor signing for Hughie's shot of Compound V and dating it "12-07-06." VA needed to get Vic in place to run for the GOP '08 primary, so I am guessing the series takes place in late 07- early 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin View Post
                                Speaking of Raynor- did anyone notice how Butcher had the recorder in their last encounter? We saw it once she asked him if he had to leave so soon (and we know what that means with those two). I cant tell if he had just turned it on- their conversation didn't have anything too mind-blowing- this where they introduced the idea of the supe-seeking missiles, and after 65 most of the world is probably going to know about them. I think he was just going to record their sex session out of spite to send it to her husband, since it seems he is almost done with her. Or he needs blackmail material..
                                I think it was to record the sex for blackmail material. Mallory and Butcher never trusted Raynor. With Raynor already having pissed off Butcher by putting Monkey in charge of the CIA, he wanted to get a hold over her. Raynor's vocals during sex would spell the end of both marriage and political career, so it's well worth having that in the bag – for spite, advancement or pure comedy value. From our point of view, there's no knowing whether it was included for character or plot reasons. Maybe both?

Comment

Working...
                                X