• Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Don't forget Becky

Don't forget Becky.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Because Ennis doesn't really know how to do "human" or "moral". I'm trying to think if Ennis has ever had a single normal human being in any story I've ever read by him, and I'm drawing a blank.
    How about Custer's dad?

or the young Aussie lietenant in Battlefields: Happy Valley?

or Butcher's grandfather?

...or the guy in the Unknown Soldier story, who would rather die than sign up to be a costumed freak?

...all of which had one thing in common- they were soldiers. It's like Ennis is going to keep doing this until we figure out that war comics are what the industry should be making.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ennis has repeatedly said that Hughie is supposed to be the human, moral center of the book.

Is he?

I'm trying to think if Ennis has ever had a single normal human being in any story I've ever read by him, and I'm drawing a blank.

- Sean Noonan from Hitman
    - Amy, the rich friend of Jesse and Tulip
    - Featherstone
    - The activist and social worker from "The Slavers" arc of Punisher
    - Some folks from the Dicks saga (hey, I know people like those!)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, it's easy to hate Hughie. But that might be the problem. Ennis has repeatedly said that Hughie is supposed to be the human, moral center of the book. And yet we despise him. Because Ennis doesn't really know how to do "human" or "moral". I'm trying to think if Ennis has ever had a single normal human being in any story I've ever read by him, and I'm drawing a blank. The closest he's ever came was probably Auntie Sis, which is sad, because she was a minor joke character in a minor joke arc.
    Am I the only person on this board who DOESN'T hate Hughie? I mean, everyone treats him like the Derpy of the Boys.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, it's easy to hate Hughie. But that might be the problem. Ennis has repeatedly said that Hughie is supposed to be the human, moral center of the book. And yet we despise him. Because Ennis doesn't really know how to do "human" or "moral". I'm trying to think if Ennis has ever had a single normal human being in any story I've ever read by him, and I'm drawing a blank. The closest he's ever came was probably Auntie Sis, which is sad, because she was a minor joke character in a minor joke arc.

And I'm not just talking about The Boys. I'm talking about everything he's ever written. I guess Jesse Custer comes close, but you'll notice that in the entire time Jesse had the Word, he never once did anything positive with it. Oh, he robbed banks, committed several murders, and made people defecate themselves, but that was it. And no, I don't count Hoover, because all Jesse did for Hoover was make him forget the horrible thing that Jesse himself had done to Hoover with the Word. Hell, Jesse didn't even remove the physical effects of what he did to Hoover, even though he easily could have. And even though he saw the awful effect that his actions had on Hoover, he didn't hesitate to do the same thing to other people afterwards.

In Crossed, which as you know, I loathed, Ennis falls for the laziest of horror movie tropes- that a bunch of organized, intelligent normal people can't defeat a mass of stupid, disorganized zombies. And before anyone starts in on "but they weren't stupid or zombies", I retort: that was the problem. The Crossed made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Did anyone see "Serenity"? The main badguys were basically just like the Crossed- hyperviolent human lunatics who somehow managed to fly starships. And who, for some reason, never turn on each other. And who, despite being rage-fueled cannibal monsters, somehow manage to outwit all the normal, non-lunatics around them.

Aside from the vile subject matter, that was my main problem with "Crossed". They never could have won. Ever. Under any circumstances. Because a handful of people with their wits about them using modern weaponry will always triumph over a mass of berserkers. A squad of marines with flame throwers and SAWs could take on any given amount of Crossed. And yet, the entire point of the book was to see people degraded and murdered.

I guess it comes down to the problem I have with almost all modern Horror- it used to be that people watched horror movies for a few cheap scares, and to see the good guys win. But now days, it's all about watching people suffer, and then tack on the most depressing ending the writer can thing of.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As long as it ends badly for Hughie I will be happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X